+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree319Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Newbie

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;3956005;
    May Iask why a 66 year old would even WANT to have children?
    Yes you may! Apparently, she and her husband have been trying for years. She used fertility drugs....Guess that doesn't explain why at 66 she'd want kids....lol

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by LG.;3955446;
    I read online today that Josie is just arriving home today (maybe yesterday), that she weighs 9 pounds and is doing better. The story also said her trip home was delayed because TWELVE OF HER SIBLINGS HAD THE CHICKEN POX and they couldn't risk exposing Josie. Um, my kids have been vaccinated against the chicken pox, as it has been around for more than a decade. The story indicated that Michelle had been with Josie (and not with the dozen of her children who were sick and itchy and could have used their mom) because she didn't want to risk exposing Josie. Those poor kids, going through a completely unnecessary illness without their mom around, what an unhappy and uncomfortable house that would have been. I'm itching just thinking about it.

I hope now that Josie is home that some of the other kids can get some attention too.
    I wonder who took care of the sick ones. If the older girls were sick, I hope someone else was baby sitting! i don't know, my opinion of this family just keeps slipping. I'll still watch the show. It's like bothering a tooth ache w/ your tongue; it hurts, but ya just can't not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggar groupie;3956344;
    I wonder who took care of the sick ones. If the older girls were sick, I hope someone else was baby sitting! i don't know, my opinion of this family just keeps slipping. I'll still watch the show. It's like bothering a tooth ache w/ your tongue; it hurts, but ya just can't not do it.
    This is so true. LOL

I keep watching the show because I am geniunely concerned about the kids. I grew up with similar teachings and know how restricting it can be. My extended family wanted to intervene with my parents, but felt it would not be well received. People who do things in the name of their religion don't feel it is other people's business to tell them what is best for their kids, even if the kids are suffering.

It will be interesting to see what will happen now that Josie is home and the entire family is back together. I have one guess.....pregnancy.

FORT Fan

I'm so glad to find some kindred spirits about how disturbing this family and mom seem to operate.

My dd loves this show. I don't get why they've continued to live their lives in the limelight all these years, it seems to fly in the face of their beliefs.

What puzzles me, is if God will give her as many kids as she can have, why is it okay to seek medical attention and not trust God in that situation too? Is she just picking and choosing when to trust God?

It is very disturbing to me to see and hear how much those older girls do. Seems Michelle just likes to sit back and birth babies, then hand them over to the older kids to raise.

It'll be interesting to see how many kids those older girls end up having, or if any of them buck the all you bear mentality.

FORT Fogey

Sadly, if they haven't shown any resentment at their treatment or rebelled at all by now, they're probably brainwashed.

I have a deep respect for all religions and the right to practice whatever you want. What I do NOT respect is people who use their religion to excuse mistreating their children. I have long felt that the Duggar girls have been mistreated, or at the least neglected, and all of this just confirms it.

It seems to me like if Josie was healthy enough to go home, she was healthy enough that Jim Bob could stay with her for a few days, while Michelle went home to take care of the sick kids.

Although there's a vaccine, I think you can still get the infection, it's just a milder case. Unvaccinated, you can die from Chicken Pox. Vaccinated, it's one of those things like tonsilitis - kids get it, and it sucks for the kid and the parents, but it's not the worst thing in the world. Although 12 kids wanting to itch and feeling awful just makes my head spin.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3957482;
    Sadly, if they haven't shown any resentment at their treatment or rebelled at all by now, they're probably brainwashed.

I have a deep respect for all religions and the right to practice whatever you want. What I do NOT respect is people who use their religion to excuse mistreating their children. I have long felt that the Duggar girls have been mistreated, or at the least neglected, and all of this just confirms it.

I grew up with LOTS of rules and treatment in the name of Independent Baptist teachings, which is the same as the Duggars. My parents were not quite as strict as we had some freedoms including tv and music, but still it was harsh and I considered it abusive. I did what I had to do as I lived under their roof and then when I got old enough, I made my own way in the world. I worked and paid my own way for a college education and then law school. With time and distance, I decided to forgive my parents and we are now very close. The treatment wasn't right though and I am very sensitive when I see what is happening to the Duggar kids, especially the girls. I knew all the teachings about how women are supposed to be followers and have no choice was wrong. Even as a child I refused to accept their teachings that higher education wasn't Godly. I hope the Duggar kids really do see the truth. I suspect they have to go along with what their parents say. What choice do they have?

We can only pray that they do have some idea that people do support them. I believe that if the kids who are over 18 years old would strike out on their own, there are people who would assist them in getting an education. There are good people who care about others, who are not a part of their fundamental world.

The "Duggar" family in the community I work in just came into the library. I will say the Duggar girls dress TONS better and have better haristyles. Its funny my first thought was its the (town name) Duggars!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3959055;
    The "Duggar" family in the community I work in just came into the library. I will say the Duggar girls dress TONS better and have better haristyles. Its funny my first thought was its the (town name) Duggars!
    Are you saying the real Duggar family came into the library or a family of people who live like the Duggars came in?

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3960281;
    Are you saying the real Duggar family came into the library or a family of people who live like the Duggars came in?
    People who live like then, hence the quotations. Homeschoolers....the women wear long skirts, the mother wears no make-up and is gray, they have about 7 kids (what a low count!) and the boys wear dress pants or really nice, NICE denim pants, polo shirts tucked in, hair slicked back and short. The girls and the mom really wear such outdated clothes. Just some of the ugliest tops I have ever seen. The denim skirts aren't bad, but they were some other ones.... Oy!

As for hair, they do wear it shorter which isn't quite "Duggarish" but no style, just cute straight across at bangs and back. Kind of a dutchboy look. the 13 year old daughter was picking out a reading prize, of course we have the hot new teen stuff, vampires etc and even some tamer stuff.... she got a book on vegaterian cooking.

They are very nice people, the kids are quiet but very polite, but when they come in I always feel like we went back in time 100 years. The one thing I can say, I work at a library, and one of them always has alot of fines on their card and I am talking $10 or more.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Libgirl2, poor kids, I wonder if they even know what the outside life is really like. I'm glad they are at least frequenting a library. Books are the key to knowledge. I pray the parents allow the kids some variety in their reading.

If they are strict fundamentalists, they won't allow any books about the occult, astrology, vampires, ghost, etc. They find many things sinful and against God. Certain things are not tolerated such as peace signs, astrological signs like Capricorn or Aries, anything with people in swimsuits, contemporary Christian music or evolution. Billy Graham and his ministries are frowned upon as are public schools and any government regulation, including those for schools, orphanages and reform schools. Many adhere to corporal punishment for teens in their "Christian Home for Wayward Children."

It can be very scary. I hope they pay their late fees so they can keep using the library.

+ Reply to Thread