+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3914401;
    Libgirl, I would be so happy to hear that any of them were going to get a higher education. It seems that is not promoted or practiced in their family. Perhaps she could set a good example. The problem is that her parents have said the girls don't go anywhere without a brother or sister also present. I wonder how that will work if she goes off to school. I hope they don't hold her back just so she can help raise the younger children. She has a life to live and should be allowed to do so.
    It was stated that she is looking into nursing schools in the area.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3914423;
    It was stated that she is looking into nursing schools in the area.
    Well, that's better than nothing, but still I would think her parents would be interfereing with her class and study time with their needs for childcare. I hope not.

Did anyone see last night's episode? I'm not sure where to start, but it was very bad. It was one of the few episodes that I have seen that made me sad and with each scene, I just felt worse and worse. I'm now really feeling for those kids, especially the older girls and the toddlers.

It starts out with Joy Anna trying to start a very old, push lawn mower bare footed. She put her bare foot on the thing as she pulled the rope to start it! I almost lost it. That is not safe. I don't think she was used to push mower. Not a safe thing to do without parental supervision.

Then the young boys take over and run while they push the thing. The camera man steps in and warns them not to run. Where were the parents? Michelle says those boys weren't supposed to be doing that, but since they were, they must have received permission from their dad. She assumes this and doesn't bother to check it out. What?

Then the older of the toddlers suddenly drops, the younger one into a cart on the porch, nearly landing her on the cement. Close call, but no one checked on the baby or told the older one to not carry or drop her younger sister thay way. What's going on?

Then Michelle takes one of her sons to celebrate his birthday. He gets to go to the hospital gift shop and eat at the hospital cafeteria. Then his special treat is holding his baby sister. It was really all about Josie, not him. Poor kid. I don't think he enjoyed it as much as Michelle said he did. That was a downer. I think a trip to McDonalds and Wal Mart would have made him happier. Josie is important, but mom could have devoted one hour to her son on his birthday away from the hospital.

Then the older girls get to babysit, I mean help out with the younger kids for a week at the home school conference. The older girls on the bus admitted how overworked, I mean overwhelmed they were with stress due to all the little kids acting out. I sure hope they get some support from extended family soon.

I think in their "normal" circumstances, it would be so much different, but the way things are their lives are upside down, and the kids are suffering. I felt bad about the hospital birthday too... the gift shop? The cafeteria? Run out to McD's for an hour!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I agree with all that you are saying. It is just making me sad these days to watch the latest episodes. The boy's birthday was really sad and I can't believe how much Michelle is neglecting the other children to be at the hospital every moment. Jordyn (the one who was dropped into the wagon) is still a baby too and needs some "mom-time". She already lost so much bonding time with mom because Michelle delivered Josie so early. Jordyn was cheated out of those precious months that the other children got before being dumped onto their sisters to be raised. I wish I could just take her home and give her the love and care she needs as a baby. (They wouldn't even notice one missing at this point!)

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3914846;
    I agree with all that you are saying. It is just making me sad these days to watch the latest episodes. The boy's birthday was really sad and I can't believe how much Michelle is neglecting the other children to be at the hospital every moment. Jordyn (the one who was dropped into the wagon) is still a baby too and needs some "mom-time". She already lost so much bonding time with mom because Michelle delivered Josie so early. Jordyn was cheated out of those precious months that the other children got before being dumped onto their sisters to be raised. I wish I could just take her home and give her the love and care she needs as a baby. (They wouldn't even notice one missing at this point!)
    I know what you mean. I think even in a small family this can happen. The special needs child takes up so much time, to the possible resentment of the other children. Maybe Michelle had him go see Josie to feel a part of what is going on and not left out.

I think Michelle should have kept the toddlers with her while the older ones and JB went to the conference. The older girls needed a break. They are constantly caring for those children. Jim Bob said they helped out a lot! Helped out! They do it all. He words are insulting to those girls.

If Michelle didn't have family support to come and stay with the toddlers while she was at the hospital, then she would have had to hire a babysitter, but you do what you have to do when it comes to your kids. If they could afford to take the family to the conference for a week, then they could afford childcare for the toddlers for a week.

Michelle could have used that time to spend with the toddlers during the day and then went to stay with Josie during the evening after the toddlers had been put to bed. Say from 8:00 p.m. - midnight. That would have given her four hours with Josie and the entire day with the toddlers who really need some time with their mom. Just to see them running around and acting so out of conrol, is heartbreaking. I think they just need to be held, cuddled and talked to one on one, and it would be better if it was done by their mother.

FORT Fanatic

All the children are home-schooled and seem to 'graduate' at about the age of 16. The oldest has been married for several years, and they have a small child. They live near the rest of the Duggars, and Josh has his own business (a used car lot).

I was so happy to see the newest baby, Josie, looking so good last night. Except for two days (!) she has been in the hospital since she was born in December due to extreme pre-maturity. The mother became ill with pre-eclampsia, and the only way to save her life was to deliver the baby.

After months in the hospital, the baby was at home for two days, developed problems, and went back to the hospital. Hopefully by the time the series returns in the Fall, everything will be on a more level keel.

They rented a home 3 hours away from their normal residence because Josie was in a special hospital and they wanted to keep the family as together as possible. That's been going on since December.

FORT Newbie

God will give them the strength, courage, grace, and guidance to deal with all these overwhelming and heartbreaking circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by catjohnsn2;3915617;
    God will give them the strength, courage, grace, and guidance to deal with all these overwhelming and heartbreaking circumstances.

I pray that you are right, but I really hope that God protects and comforts those children who seem to be over worked, over stressed and taken advantage of by their parents. I think that common sense would kick in and let them know that their kids, other than Josie, are hurting and in need.

I hope the news I heard about Jana is true and that she is taking an extended missionary trip to several foreign countries. Of course, unless they hire some outside person, that is going to increase the burden on the existing older girls, especially after Josie comes home. When is Michelle's family going to go and help out. Surely some one from her family could help for at least a week or two. Isn't that what family is for?

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3915930;
    IWhen is Michelle's family going to go and help out. Surely some one from her family could help for at least a week or two. Isn't that what family is for?
    I can really only remember Michelle's family being featured very early on in the series. The Duggars went to a family reunion or something along those lines. Perhaps they don't want to be on camera.

I have noticed the younger kids seem to be having discipline problems. When the family was in Little Rock the little ones could get rowdy..but for the most part were well behaved. Candidly...they all act bug wild. Obviously, Josie's well being is important, but it does seem the kids need some parenting from the parents.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

+ Reply to Thread