+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree492Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Fogey

Re: The Duggar Family

You don't think it is a bad thing, but I do. I think we will find that out in time. So many missed opportunities. These kids don't have the opportunity to explore what is meaningful and interesting to them. They are very limited in their experiences. If you have 20 kids, chances are that at least one of them will be "different." Each kid requires a unique parenting approach because they are born with differences. Raising kids like they are in the army is not a good thing. Being polite doesn't mean that these kids have developed the skills to survive in the real world. They are very sheltered.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3826914;
    You don't think it is a bad thing, but I do. I think we will find that out in time. So many missed opportunities. These kids don't have the opportunity to explore what is meaningful and interesting to them. They are very limited in their experiences. If you have 20 kids, chances are that at least one of them will be "different." Each kid requires a unique parenting approach because they are born with differences. Raising kids like they are in the army is not a good thing. Being polite doesn't mean that these kids have developed the skills to survive in the real world. They are very sheltered.
    Maybe then doing this show is good for them. They are meeting all kinds of people outside their normal sphere.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that because they have different personalities they're encouraged to think for themselves or be their own people. I disagree with families that require that their kids all play the same instrument or that they all play the same sport. I am all for families that say that kids should play AN instrument and A sport. You can have values, and impress them, without doing it the same way for each of your children. These kids would learn the same discipline playing any instrument they will learning violin.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I would guess that having them all learn the violin may be more a matter of practicality than conformity. If they all play the same instrument, they can practice together, share instruments and do hand-me-downs. It would be a logistical nightmare to have 20 kids playing 20 instruments! They would need to spend all of their time carting kids off to their lessons. With them all playing the same instrument, they can learn to read music and branch out into other instruments when they get older. I have seen the oldest boys playing the guitar, and some older girls playing the piano and the harp. The very oldest girl was just given a beautiful harp as a gift from her parents, and she keeps it in her room.
    I only have two sons that I homeschool, and yet I am not about to have to purchase more than one Rosetta Stone program! They will both have to learn the same foreign language! If I had more kids, they would all have that as their foreign language credit. It just makes sense.

LG.

I grew up in a rural area which was prime farm country, and also home to many families with 12 - 15 kids (I can think of 4 different families in that category without even trying), not mention "small" families with 8-11 kids, etc. Many of them had kids playing all types of instruments and playing all types of sports. They sent their kids to the public school (yes, there was one school - this was small town), and the school had "loaner" instruments that many farm kids played their whole time in junior high and high school. We had only "basic" sports available at our school, ones that didn't involve much personal investment in equipment (think basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, and football - in which everyone used school-owned equipment). Most of the sports seasons didn't overlap, so many of the kids played multiple sports, took the bus to school, stayed after school for the 1 hour of sports practice for the season, and then took the "late bus" home, so the parents really didn't have the cost and time commitment that kids' sports seem to have today. Many of these kids were even in sports teams AND the band (but obviously didn't march field shows if they were playing on the football team, but one of my friends would play JV basketball and then join the pep band for the varsity match immediately after it). Many of these families were very musical and had "family bands" where they would learn complimentary instruments and play together. It's a shame these kids can't have any individuality. It's not a requirement of having a large family. But the families I knew growing up relied on public school and didn't try to manage every minute of every child's life by themselves. We also had a ton of bake sales and car washes to make sure that the band had instruments and the sports teams had uniforms and equipment for everyone.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Wow, that sounds really great! Our schools make you go out and rent instruments if you want your kids to be in band. And, it's pretty pricey! I can't imagine a large family being able to afford it for every kid. But, I've learned that schools can really vary in what they offer. We live in a nice area, and our school taxes are outrageous, but our school district offers absolutely NO field trips! It is supposedly a good district, but I can't believe they never get a field trip in 12 years! Give me a break! I loved those when I was in school.
    Anyway, who knows what the Duggar's school district has to offer. It could be terrific, like yours, or lousy, like mine. I was simply pointing out a possible reason why they may have all of the kids learn the same instrument.

There could be quite a few reasons, but cost is a big one-they can get one teacher, instead of multiple different teachers. The instruments can be passed down, they can practice together, and violin is one of the easier instruments to learn-it's one of the ones that is allowed at pretty much any school district from the 5th grade, onwards. They also can start younger with the violin because you don't have to worry as much about breathing techniques and that sort of thing-so those all may be factors into why they choose the violin.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

As we watched last night's show, it was hard to see poor little Josie and how she is just struggling for life while her parents have said they may have more. That attitude is souring us a little bit. I cannot even comprehend the idea of them considering have more children with the pain and suffering their baby is going through right now!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3831875;
    As we watched last night's show, it was hard to see poor little Josie and how she is just struggling for life while her parents have said they may have more. That attitude is souring us a little bit. I cannot even comprehend the idea of them considering have more children with the pain and suffering their baby is going through right now!
    they will probably change their minds when they start getting hit with the medical bills...NICU is not cheap...and when babies stay there for a while it can go up to 3/4 of a million
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;3833069;
    they will probably change their minds when they start getting hit with the medical bills...NICU is not cheap...and when babies stay there for a while it can go up to 3/4 of a million

They'll ask for "private donations" or get the network to foot the bill. It's disgusting and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing this to their children.

+ Reply to Thread