+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Fogey

Re: The Duggar Family

You guys are killing me here! Long jean skirts are not in fashion! lol! I did know of a girl who wore long jean skirts but it was a religious thing.
    I do think it is creepy that the girls have to dress to dad's preference. That is just unsettling to me. But I'm not trying to imply that dad is a pervert or anything.
    When you have lots of kids, it is so important to give the kids time and a sense of individuality. When the kids are encouraged to dress the same and they have similar names, and mom and dad can't spend one-on-one time with them, there is a problem. Most of them want to be missionaries, they play the same instruments, go everywhere together... Kids need to be individuals. You can't just think of yourself as Duggar #7. More of the same.

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3826134;
    Really? Maybe it is because I mostly see them in church, and that is what the teen girls here wear. The Duggar girls would totally fit in.
    But, I could be wrong. I am a homeschooler and am very used to seeing girls in long denim skirts - it's practically a uniform! I'm probably a bit out of touch with "normal" teens.
    Yeah...I think you might be Take a look at the juniors section in the mall next time you're there.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3826134;
    Starry Elf - I really can see what you mean by creepy. I would say so too if I saw any evidence of anything weird or creepy in Jim Bob's relationship with the girls, but I have never seen anything even close. He seems to treat them with the utmost respect and they seem to view him as lovable, bumbling, old dad. Sometimes, they even seem to boss him around a little - in a funny way. I think they have dad wrapped around their little fingers!
    I really have no clue, that's why I asked. Like I said, I only watched the show once, so my knowledge of the Duggars is very limited, and I was not making any judgement on them. Just that I found it creepy that the girls didn't say they wear their hair long because they like it, or for religious reasons, or fashion reasons or anything like that, but because "daddy likes it". It's the context of how it was said that made me pause.

FORT Fogey

I don't think think their clothing choice is actually ruled by their father, RealityLovesMe, but by their religion.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3826406;
    I don't think think their clothing choice is actually ruled by their father, RealityLovesMe, but by their religion.
    I see your point. I think their religion does give them guidelines, but I don't know how many times I've seen them all wear the same color on the same day or the same exact dress/paints and shirt (the babies and the teens).

From a practical standpoint, if I were on laundry duty for this family, I'd encourage them all to wear the same color on any given day.
    remember to play

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3826532;
    From a practical standpoint, if I were on laundry duty for this family, I'd encourage them all to wear the same color on any given day.
    Good point!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I remember an episode where Michelle said they wore the same color when they went somewhere so it was easy to spot who was with them, because the group is so large. I guess kind of like when kids on field trips all wear the school t-shirt.

JustJuls - Nice to know that I'm out-of-touch with reality! I knew it was coming, just didn't think it would be so soon!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3826651;
    I remember an episode where Michelle said they wore the same color when they went somewhere so it was easy to spot who was with them, because the group is so large. I guess kind of like when kids on field trips all wear the school t-shirt.

JustJuls - Nice to know that I'm out-of-touch with reality! I knew it was coming, just didn't think it would be so soon!
    Makes sense. At least they aren't dressed like pioneer women. Wasn't it the Bates who dress like that? I remember one family that the girls dressed alike in 1880s clothing. The Duggar girls looked VERY fashionable by comparison.

Other then the skirts, the tops they were are pretty much what I see the teen girls in my area wearing.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3826406;
    There was actually an episode where they discussed their modesty. (They're actually a sort of Baptist, I think, so you know it isn't just "religion.") Jim Bob said that they were trying to decide what their standards would be (or words to that effect) and in doing Bible studies and praying about it, they came to the conclusion that they wanted to cover their knees, hence the longer skirts.
    As far as allowing the kids individuality, they are as different as they can be. You have out-going Josh and then his shy, quiet younger brother (Darn! I can't remember his name.) And so on. Yes, they all play violin, but don't you know other families where a certain instument is encouraged? I do! (Or maybe like a family I know, everyone in the family plays a certain sport such as basketball.) That doesn't mean they aren't individuals.
    And as far as them getting individual time with their parents, it appears to me that they spend more time doing things together than many of us who work all day while kids are in school and then day-care only to be followed by a hasty dinner and then off to the evenings activities. I have seen epi's where they have many one-on-one trips to town to shop or driving lessons around the farm. There doesn't seem to be any lack of time when Mom and Dad's schedules are flexible and they are dedicated to their family as the Duggar's seem to be.
    As I've said in the past, they have chosen a different path from the one I have chosen, but their children are happy, thriving, polite people. They don't have belly button rings or faux-hawks (which has become another way of conforming) and I don't think that's a bad thing!

+ Reply to Thread