+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3822713;
    I wouldn't hand that to them. I recall the girls saying, "We wear our hair like this because Daddy likes girls' hair like this."
    Am I the only one that finds this slightly creepy?

I have only watched this show once out of curiosity, so I'm no expert on it, and maybe I am missing something, but just that one line bugs me.

Hibernating

Quote Originally Posted by StarryElf;3823749;

I have only watched this show once out of curiosity, so I'm no expert on it, and maybe I am missing something, but just that one line bugs me.
    I do not find it creepy at all.

When I was young, I usually had my hair cut short....my father liked it that way. As an adult, I have long hair and my dad still ocassionally tells me he thinks I should cut it...

In high school and college, I had several friends with very long hair whose fathers did not want them to cut it. My kids have friends with long hair whose dads do not want them to cut it...

My husband prefers our daughters with longer hair rather than short. I like my boys with buzz cuts...

It doesn't seem strange to me at all. As a matter of fact, I think it is quite normal.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by StarryElf;3823749;

It creeps me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Lurk;3823794;
    I do not find it creepy at all.

When I was young, I usually had my hair cut short....my father liked it that way. As an adult, I have long hair and my dad still ocassionally tells me he thinks I should cut it...

In high school and college, I had several friends with very long hair whose fathers did not want them to cut it. My kids have friends with long hair whose dads do not want them to cut it...

My husband prefers our daughters with longer hair rather than short. I like my boys with buzz cuts...

It doesn't seem strange to me at all. As a matter of fact, I think it is quite normal.
    I remember during the late 70s into the early 80s when my hair grew longer and I was actually spending time "fashioning" it, my Mother made a comment about how nice it looked but she always liked my shorter hair. So now for the past 20 years or so since I've been keeping it short because I am getting old and lazy she always comments that "her boys" always looked better in short hair the way she liked it. (it's not quite a buzz but very close) If someone likes it and so do you, why not?

I have lived long enough to have seen plenty of creepy, sinister and just "not right" family situations. This strikes me as "none of the above." One can always be wrong, but the Duggar girls give the impression that they do what they do of their own free will and, though they may like pleasing their dad, perhaps we shouldn't read too much into that brief statement. The shows I've seen demonstrate a healthy and loving parent-child dymanic.
    Also, as an aside, in my business I deal with many young girls of different religious denominations who follow the same dress standards (more or less) as the Duggars. Some of these young girls choose that path even if their parents are not practicing the same conservative life style. It's just what the girl chooses. It may not be the way I live my life, (as I sit here in jeans with my new haircut) but I can respect them for living their belief.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3824244;
    I have lived long enough to have seen plenty of creepy, sinister and just "not right" family situations. This strikes me as "none of the above." One can always be wrong, but the Duggar girls give the impression that they do what they do of their own free will and, though they may like pleasing their dad, perhaps we shouldn't read too much into that brief statement. The shows I've seen demonstrate a healthy and loving parent-child dymanic.
    Also, as an aside, in my business I deal with many young girls of different religious denominations who follow the same dress standards (more or less) as the Duggars. Some of these young girls choose that path even if their parents are not practicing the same conservative life style. It's just what the girl chooses. It may not be the way I live my life, (as I sit here in jeans with my new haircut) but I can respect them for living their belief.
    VERY GOOD POST! Thank you

Creepy? I still think about how I'm wearing my hair when I see my Mom. She always told me she liked it better off my face, and we didn't have any kind of inappropriate relationship or power issues or anything "creepy."

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

To me, the Duggar girls look like every other girl around here in Houston. I wouldn't look twice at any of them in the mall. They are dressed in current, fashionable, brand name clothing with cute hairstyles, make-up and jewelry. They could walk into our public high school and fit in just fine.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Really? No young girls I know wear long dresses & skirts like that. I mean, maybe once in awhile...but certainly not everyday. I don't have any problem with the way they dress....but I really don't think they dress like the everyday teen.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Really? Maybe it is because I mostly see them in church, and that is what the teen girls here wear. The Duggar girls would totally fit in.
    But, I could be wrong. I am a homeschooler and am very used to seeing girls in long denim skirts - it's practically a uniform! I'm probably a bit out of touch with "normal" teens.

Starry Elf - I really can see what you mean by creepy. I would say so too if I saw any evidence of anything weird or creepy in Jim Bob's relationship with the girls, but I have never seen anything even close. He seems to treat them with the utmost respect and they seem to view him as lovable, bumbling, old dad. Sometimes, they even seem to boss him around a little - in a funny way. I think they have dad wrapped around their little fingers!

+ Reply to Thread