+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree381Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Fogey

Re: The Duggar Family

I personally don't know any other groups espousing this kind of have as many babies as possible to be voters for the old-fashioned way of living in our day and age.

What other groups espouse this cause besides the Duggar-endorsed Quiverful?

I'd be interested in their names so I could research them.

Thanks for info.

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3742167;
    That's actually a very common belief-one reason why some (I am not saying all) of those families have so many kids is because they are raising "values voters" who will help to basically turn America into an uber-Christian state.
    I used to be a part of a fundamentalist sect that believed that as well.

FORT Fogey

Catholics, at least a while back, were part of that thinking, or at least the "have as many children as possible part." I'm not sure about the reasoning.

Catholic's (the most devout ones at least) believe that birth control is like abortion basically. You're killing a child by stopping sperm meeting egg (gotta love doing a fundraiser for a catholic church and hanging out with priests to learn this stuff). No Joe Average Catholic is typically not as ardent about that.

However some fundy sects of christianty still believe multiply and stocking the world full of hte religious to testify to their faith and spread it around through voting or whatever is the way to go.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Just because Joy Behar is interviewing people "like the Duggars" doesn't mean they can say what motivates the Duggars to have so many children. The Duggars have already given their reasons, and it has nothing to do with voters.

This thread is about the Duggar family and their show, "18 Kids and Counting", not Joy Behar's show. Maybe there is a thread elsewhere on the forum about Joy's show.

FORT Fogey

The Duggars are self-admitted followers of Bob Gothard who is the originator of Quiverful.
    There is a lot of info about that towards the beginning of this thread.

I know, I am one of the ones who wrote about that.

But, it is getting the thread off-topic again. The Duggar's motivations for having so many children is not to make voters (you have to have watched the show or read their book to know their reason). And, even if they were lying - and that is their motivation - so what? It is still their right to have as many children they want.

I feel like there are so many "red herrings" thrown out on this thread! Let's use the thread for it's purpose - discussing the show!

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3743485;
    The Duggars are self-admitted followers of Bob Gothard who is the originator of Quiverful.
    There is a lot of info about that towards the beginning of this thread.
    Yes, but we want to keep this thread strictly about the show and what happens on the show. I personally like talking about the show only and would prefer to keep it that way. Example: Jon & Kate plus 8 show thread, which I was very sad to see go....again.

On to the show....I noticed one of the younger Duggars using a whole lot of hairspray in last nights show Its a family trend! How cute are all the little girls? Johanna, Jennifer and the newest Jordyn? Jennifer was adorable last night....so scared of Jim Bob in that beard!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

The hairspray thing is funny!

I watched the episode with the ostrich farm last night. Yuck, on eating ostrich egg omelets! One egg fed all 18 of them - wow!

Jill Duggar is so sweet! Did you see how patiently she dealt with all the kids as she was baking bread and helping them make brownies? That was amazing to me! I guess you learn a lot of patience when the family is so large. Also, I would be thrilled to have her babysit for me. Of course, my boys are teens now... I would be thrilled if she married one of them! They are hoping to marry a nice, homeschooled girl, so that she will be willing to homeschool their children.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

She was great. But yet, its still so shocking to me that she is like a motherly figure to the kids. She is still a kid herself.

Honestly, I was grossed out by that ostrich egg. No way would you get me to eat that!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

+ Reply to Thread