+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree349Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Re: The Duggar Family

I have always been entertained by The Duggars and been curious about their family but not always understanding of their way of life. Lately they have really touched me...especially the birth. I was brought to tears. I also appreciated their honesty in the Ask Duggars episode. Their way of life works for them and they are very loving and respectable people. I appreciate that.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by grapenuts;3737308;
    Why should we assume that? Nothing gave us that impression. It's not like they showed the birth and blurred out the not safe for tv parts. We saw Anna's face during the birth, not below the belt.

And even if he did record it (was is an assumption), then maybe they wanted it for their personal use. Some people do tape their births to keep for memories.
    Okay whatever. Either way, my original point was that if I were one of those girls, I would be a little angry about the fact that I couldn't wear jeans or regular bathing suits but my family had no problem showing our most intimate, personal moments on TV. It seems a bit hypocritical to me.

That was what I was trying to say all along. What got recorded and filmed or didn't is beside the point.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3738943;
    Okay whatever. Either way, my original point was that if I were one of those girls, I would be a little angry about the fact that I couldn't wear jeans or regular bathing suits but my family had no problem showing our most intimate, personal moments on TV. It seems a bit hypocritical to me.

That was what I was trying to say all along. What got recorded and filmed or didn't is beside the point.
    I think they make a distinction between sharing your body and sharing your joy.

FORT Fogey

Yeah. And I can see that. But nevertheless, it would frustrate me.

That's the only thing about the Duggars I dislike, is the restrictions on the girls' clothing. Any good parent should keep their daughters from walking around in clothes that are immodest - i.e. short skirts and low-cut shirts - but I don't see how jeans are immodest, if they're not superduper tight. And now there's the boyfriend cut jeans that are nice and loose everywhere. I am all for modesty - I consider myself to pretty pretty modest on a daily basis. I dunno, it's their religion and their right. Just expressing an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3738943;

I am not disagreeing with your point - just trying to clarify, because I am a bit confused now. I thought the discussion was surrounding what was and wasn't filmed with regard to the birth. If so, there is a big difference between the kids being filmed, which is a choice made by the parents, and the birth being filmed, which was a decision made by Josh and Anna. Your point about the girls not being allowed to wear jeans is understood, and I don't necessarily disagree with you. I was just confused by the statement in bold above.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3735874;
    I get what you mean. It's sort of like, okay... you won't let your daughters wear pants but you will let the entire world in on your most private moments?

This was my original post. I understand your confusion. What the cameraman did or didn't see was brought up in the next post by someone else, and then the conversation evolved from there.

I noticed Jim Bob mentioned "thighs" being covered, after I noticed Jinger (?) had on a skirt much shorter the usual. It looked about knee length or so.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

In the Ask The Duggars show last night one of the girls (Joy Anna, maybe?) said that they can wear pants if they want to, they just choose not to.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

I may be wrong, but I thought someone (Michelle?) said during the question and answer "we usually wear skirts..." I took note at the time and thought that maybe there are occasions when they would wear pants. At any rate, the girls don't seem to have an issue with it so I sure don't! (Sitting here in myself in jeans and a t-shirt.)

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3739149;
    I may be wrong, but I thought someone (Michelle?) said during the question and answer "we usually wear skirts..." I took note at the time and thought that maybe there are occasions when they would wear pants. At any rate, the girls don't seem to have an issue with it so I sure don't! (Sitting here in myself in jeans and a t-shirt.)
    I thought I heard that also, but was thinking I was mistaken. Maybe not. I did hear USUALLY...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread