+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3731354;
    Not only that, but I am a whole lot cheaper and I could find something better elsewhere...or better yet, get a designer gown for the same price as these dresses that could be worn again.
    True! I love how the Duggars conduct themselves around such horrible people. They were so kind and friendly to those rude, snobby women. They really do shine a light around them, wherever they go!

FORT Fogey

There are lots of ways to make a wedding gown modest and still beautiful. I have yet to see the dress, but apparently some people thought it was really ugly. It's occurred to me that the Duggars seem to make a real statement of being "modest" rather than just practicing it. I mean, there are lots of clothes that you can buy at Kohls or Wal Mart or anywhere that are modest, and they would allow the girls to express themselves more. But maybe there is something in their religion against that?

MamaC - thanks for answering my question! In that case, if she was having a completely normal pregnancy, I completely understand her decision to go with people that she knew and trusted over a stranger, especially if she was nervous about it. If I were a first-time mom, I know I'd be!

About the modesty, my take on it is that in this day and age, you almost have to make a statement, because the modesty is not the norm. I know when they first started filming (when Michelle was preggers with Johannah) the girls were wearing a lot more homemade and thrift store stuff. I mean, they probably still do, but their style, as one of the girls says, is more "modest modern". They wear a LOT of Aeropostale and the older boys some AE, and for things like the polo shirts they probably sew in the little modesty panels. Aero, on their clearances, can have items go down to as low as a couple dollars for a polo shirt (this comes from someone who has a few dozen of their polos).

Kohl's isn't exactly everywhere; it's only in the last couple years that we got it here in the Seattle area. And some of the girls may find some Wal-Mart things they like, but some of them have the things they prefer. I know Jana likes her button-downs, whereas Jinger likes her Aero polos.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

FORT Newbie

There is a Kohl's in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

FORT Fogey

Really?? There're Kohls' EVERYWHERE where I'm from.

I didn't realize the girls wore so much "normal" clothes, my mistake. I don't watch regularly enough I suppose.

I have often heard Jim Bob say on the show that they believe in buying used and often shop at thrift shops. That is probably one reason they are debt free unlike most of the country. I still see the kids in polos and buttondowns that wouldn't look a whole lot different from anyone else except they pair it with a long skirt. Now the Bates on the other hand... (And the Bates girls are really super pretty. It's a shame that we have a hard time looking past the odd homemade dresses.)

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I don't think anyone would even notice anything unusual about the way the Duggar kids dress. They totally look like every other kid around where I live. They wear alot of Aeropostle and polo, along with denim skirts for the girls and jeans for the boys and flip flops, crocs, and tennis shoes. The girls wear make-up and jewelry, and style their hair really cute and stylish.

Tonight's episode for my area was Josh and Anna's baby shower and delivery. I wondered if I missed it because everyone has already been talking about it.

I cracked up when Josh and Anna were getting ready to go somewhere. Josh has developed his father's love of hairspray!

I also thought it was really sweet of Josh to drive a limo to pick up Anna's family at the airport. Anna's sisters are really stylish and pretty!

Those Duggar girls know how to throw a shower, huh? Lots of practice! They had boxes of shower supplies. I thought the bright pink and lime green color theme was cute. I was also extremely impressed with Michelle's ability to fix the cake decorating mistake with a toothpick! I wouldn't be able to do that!

It was very obvious that Anna made her own decision about her labor and delivery. Personally, I'm an epidural-gal, but more power to her! I'm so happy for them and hope the best for them!

You can find alot of so called "designer" duds at the thrift stores. Plato's Closet is a resale shop around my city and they have oodles of A&F, PacSun and those type of stores. They cater mainly to the younger set. We also have a Clothes Mentor which is more of the shall we say "mature woman" resale store. My daughter's take things there to resell and buy stuff from them all the time. So you can get those kind of clothes at discount prices.
    I also agree with some of the other posters on here that Anna made up her own mind about the home birth and that was what she felt most comfortable with.
    "Lucy...you got some splainin' to do." Ricky Ricardo

FORT Fogey

Absolutely. You don't get things that necessarily fit this years fashions but you can get the brands and the styles, and some things don't go in and out of style. I like to get jeans at those types of places, because they get so expensive at stores.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3731539;
    There are lots of ways to make a wedding gown modest and still beautiful. I have yet to see the dress, but apparently some people thought it was really ugly. It's occurred to me that the Duggars seem to make a real statement of being "modest" rather than just practicing it. I mean, there are lots of clothes that you can buy at Kohls or Wal Mart or anywhere that are modest, and they would allow the girls to express themselves more. But maybe there is something in their religion against that?

MamaC - thanks for answering my question! In that case, if she was having a completely normal pregnancy, I completely understand her decision to go with people that she knew and trusted over a stranger, especially if she was nervous about it. If I were a first-time mom, I know I'd be!
    When it comes to clothing - keep in mind this family is rather secluded in their friendships. Their closest networks are other families that are similar to their own believes. It is not unlike Amish or Mennonite families that have very destinct clothing styles. If their only influence is more people like themselves, it is easy to understand how inidividual expression/styles mirror each other.

I don't think this is a religious restriction...as it is a personal belief within their faith that women are to be modest in attire and their hair is a mark of beauty. Modesty can be defined differently by different people. I happen to consider myself modest, but in no way do I dress like they do. And I'm sure most posters out here would same the same.

I agree with many of you - there is something to be said to see consistency with this family, kindnesses, generosity, etc. There's a joy that cannot be denied. And that is a refreshing twist to "reality tv families".

+ Reply to Thread