+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 226 FirstFirst ... 51919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2254
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Sevilla2003!

FORT Newbie

i've been watching the shows since i was 16.... i can pretty much name all the kids or can recongnize them lol. the twin boys usually give me abit of trouble.

What happened with Anna, is her doctor was out of town. She didn't feel comfortable with going to another doctor. she they had a friend who was a midwife/doula so they called her and asked if she would be willing to help them. And thats what happened, she was in labour for 11 and half hours i believe.
    And I don't blame Anna choosing a doctor can be a big thing. My mom went to four different doctors before she found one she liked with me. Even my sister in law kept switching doctors since she didn't like them.

Oh, and one more thing. My daughter and I both picked up staph infections from the hospital when she was born. Hospitals aren't always the safe places we assume they are!

Not only that, but with the Duggars, you also have to take into account the modesty issue-it needs to be someone who you can be comfortable with. How I see it is that Anna trusted Dr. Sarver, partially due to the fact that she was the OB-GYN that Michelle has used for her last few deliveries. It's not easy to trust a doctor whom you have never used before, especially for the biggest moment in ones' life-so I can definitely see why she went the home birth route. Their doula was actually the lady who teaches the Bradley classes that they go to, and I think having Michelle and Jill on hand who are quite experienced (I know Jill has been in the delivery room a few times) helped a lot. In the end, it was their choice to do the home birth, and everything went smoothly, not to mention they were in the relaxing home environment. All I have to say though...if Anna did indeed go through labour all-natural (no pain meds)-more power to her.

On an aside, I love Susannah's haircut! (if that was her)
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3727441;
    Libgirl--hi.

I have a friend who is a doula too. She works at a birthing center--which is located right next door to a full-service hospital/medical center so that if anything goes wrong the woman can be in the hospital within minutes.

The major potential life-threatening problem associated with birth is the possibility of the mother bleeding out--IE--bleeding to death because the fully dilated uterus is incredibly difficult to stop hemorrhaging in.

And no amount of caring people surrounding the mother is going to stop her from dying from loss of blood.

Ditto with a neonate who is in respiratory or cardiac distress.

ETA--most OB/GYN docs do NOT recommend home births for first-time pregnancies beause the history is unknown--IE there is no previous history to go by.

I wonder why the idea of a home birth under less than ideal conditions is being defended?

Why is the idea of these people forcing their women to live in the 19th century so appealing?

Just wondering....

(I used to work in morgues and the saddest autopsies are those on babies/young children whose deaths could have been easily prevented by early and appropriate medical intervention.)
    I think this has been covered by others, but I just wanted to clarify that I don't see anyone on here doing what you have stated in the bold above. What I do see, unfortunately, are some assumptions being made that I don't think are based in fact.

Anna saw a doctor all through her pregnancy. She had every intention of giving birth in the hospital. As has been said, he doctor was out of town and due to her own modesty concerns (not her husband "forcing her to live in the 19th century"), she chose the available option that was most comfortable TO HER. What I don't understand is why the desire to condemn her and villify Josh (and JimBob for that matter) because it is not a decision you would have made? Different is not wrong. And even if slightly more dangerous (which it sounds like it is not, from what others on here are saying), if someone makes that decision for themself (as has again been demonstrated here) why the need to to make it like they have committed a mortal sin?

I am due to give birth in about 8 weeks. I intend to try for a VBAC. I actually have a very supportive doctor who encourages women to do this if they meet the criteria. But there are plenty of others out there who think I am absolutely nuts - whether because of the risks or otherwise. Does that mean what I am doing is wrong? I don't think so. I have read about the risks and made an educated decision that was best for me and my family. And I'm sorry, but I have seen nothing that makes me think Josh (or JimBob) forced Anna to do anything she did not want to otherwise do. Michelle has given birth in the hospital. Anna went to the same doctor - and had the intent of giving birth in the hospital. I am just so confused by the constant need to villify these people that you don't know.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3727558;
    Oh, and one more thing. My daughter and I both picked up staph infections from the hospital when she was born. Hospitals aren't always the safe places we assume they are!
    My co worker also works in a hospital part time taking breakfast and lunch to people in the mornings.. She tells us stories about hospitals that make you skin crawl, like how the whole entire basement is covered in spiders, and mice. and thats where the kitchens were.
    How many infections, virus's are going around a hospital... reminds me of house...another show i know, when a nurse had a viruse sneezed on a teddy bear and then rubbed it playfully near babies faces.

That and the hospital refused to let my sister in law, when in labour with my niece, to not have more then i think, 2 ice chips every fifteen minutes, 'in case' of a emergency. Because anymore can be possible for her to throw up if need a emergency c-section, and need anasethetic which i get but. Of course we just gave her water and juice when they weren't looking...

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3727636;
    On an aside, I love Susannah's haircut! (if that was her)
    I think Susannah still has long hair, i don't know who's who, but the blonde or the brunette is Rebekah one of Anna's married sisters. There's also Candice and priscilla
    Last edited by Celestrial; 10-14-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom;3727648;
    I think this has been covered by others, but I just wanted to clarify that I don't see anyone on here doing what you have stated in the bold above. What I do see, unfortunately, are some assumptions being made that I don't think are based in fact.

Anna saw a doctor all through her pregnancy. She had every intention of giving birth in the hospital. As has been said, he doctor was out of town and due to her own modesty concerns (not her husband "forcing her to live in the 19th century"), she chose the available option that was most comfortable TO HER. What I don't understand is why the desire to condemn her and villify Josh (and JimBob for that matter) because it is not a decision you would have made? Different is not wrong. And even if slightly more dangerous (which it sounds like it is not, from what others on here are saying), if someone makes that decision for themself (as has again been demonstrated here) why the need to to make it like they have committed a mortal sin?

I am due to give birth in about 8 weeks. I intend to try for a VBAC. I actually have a very supportive doctor who encourages women to do this if they meet the criteria. But there are plenty of others out there who think I am absolutely nuts - whether because of the risks or otherwise. Does that mean what I am doing is wrong? I don't think so. I have read about the risks and made an educated decision that was best for me and my family. And I'm sorry, but I have seen nothing that makes me think Josh (or JimBob) forced Anna to do anything she did not want to otherwise do. Michelle has given birth in the hospital. Anna went to the same doctor - and had the intent of giving birth in the hospital. I am just so confused by the constant need to villify these people that you don't know.
    Good luck on your VBAC!!!!!
    Thanks for your comments on Anna and Josh. I agree whole heartedly.

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3727441;
    I wonder why the idea of a home birth under less than ideal conditions is being defended?

Why is the idea of these people forcing their women to live in the 19th century so appealing?

Just wondering....
    Why do you think women are forced to have their babies at home? My mother certainly wasn't. Neither was my sister. And neither will I.

Midwives are highly skilled professionals and if you need to get to the hospital....you will do so. Just because you have your baby at home doesn't mean you aren't getting the required care.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I've had natural childbirth in a hospital, and an epidural in a birthing center with a certified nurse-midwife attending. I want my epidurals, but more power to the brave, strong women who don't want that. I think the goal, of being a modern woman, is to have the choice to do childbirth in a way that makes us comfortable. And, it sounds like Anna made her own choice. I'm glad it went smoothly for her!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I just thought of this - an old friend of mine was forced by her husband to have all of her children at home because he was too cheap to pay for her to have them at the hospital! Now, that's repressed! And, nothing to do with religion - he was an atheist and wouldn't let her or the children go to church either.

+ Reply to Thread