+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree374Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Fogey

Re: The Duggar Family

I agree that it may have been risky as this was Anna's first baby, but in the end, it's her choice, and I see nothing wrong with a home birth if it's been a healthy pregnancy AND you've consulted with your doctor AND there's a midwife or a doula present.

FORT Newbie

Well to me....hypothetically. If a 'normal' woman made the news or was one t.v for a home birth. We wouldn't think anything of it. I remember on Gilmore girls I know it fictional.. but Sookie had a homebirth with her son. When i first heard of home births.

So on to the normal woman who lets say has a family, a dog, husband and her work, she not modest or whatever, decides to have a home natural birth. Some might think wow she's either crazy or stupid for not getting meds or going to a hospital. But in the end we just shrug it off and say its house and her bed lol.

But since Anna and Josh come from a large family and don't believe in birth control. We suddening start blaming that it was forced on her or it 'their' religion, which probably has nothing to do with the whole situation.

So i find theres a double standard here.

WAs that one of Anna's sisters at the shower with short hair?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Newbie

Yep, two of her sisters are pretty stylish aren't they, not sure who's who but these are the names
    Priscillia
    Susannah
    Candice
    Rebekah

Oh sorry no i think that was her midwife/doula......
    Last edited by Celestrial; 10-14-2009 at 12:27 AM. Reason: i misread

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3726402;
    Did she have the services of a certified midwife?

I only saw women who were all dressed in the same coloring clothing as she was--which leads me to believe these were her sisters/sisters-in law.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

BTW--no home birth is as safe as a hospital delivery--especially a first pregnancy--and especially when the Prime-ip is as young as she is.

Emergency situations arise in seconds and must be dealt with immediately--especially where the mother is bleeding out or the baby is not breathing.

Certainy not the rosy-colored romanticized event that the program is trying to make it. Especially if one of the major participants dies.

Since no one bothered to tell her about sex--except what Jimbob told them--and her husbvand had to tell her she was pregnant---

I wonder if anyone bothered to tell her about the dangers of a home birth?
    Probably not. Cause they aren't that dangerous. In fact...a lot of times safer than in a hospital where you aren't surrounded by germs. I was born at home. Perfectly healthy....natural...easy birth. And so were my 3 siblings.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3726681;
    But you still see their entire lives before they are really able to make a conscious decision to say I don't want this, nor will they be able to because it's their parents deciding for them. So it's not apples to oranges at all actually. More like sweet apples to sour apples. But, may I remind you, this is what Jon and Kate started out as.
    We really don't see their entire lives though. There are 19 children so aside from Josh, I can't even tell you which Duggar kid is which, let alone describe their individual personality traits. I can however do the same regarding the Gosselin children, who's parents have put them front and center in the spotlight, not only exposing every minute detail but mocking them in the process.

I have to take exception to the statement that this is what the Gosselins started out as. The Duggars may not subscribe to a conventional lifestyle but I have not seen the blatatant hypocrisy that the Gosselin parents have displayed. The Duggars have their faith and raise their family accordingly. The Gosselin's premise was that they were surprised by the birth of all of these children and from the get go turned to the public in an attempt to garner sympathy and donations. They often mentioned their strong ties to the church and faith but they went on speaking tours to churches and sold a sob story that they were broke in order to collect "love offerings" from those who bought what they were selling. Litle did those hard-working people, who thought they were helping a family in need, know that they were grifters, out to get as much out of public sympathy as they could. Thre is no comparison between these families as far as I'm concerned.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3726727;
    I have a friend who is a doula. Nothing wrong with it (though not for me) if it is a healthy normal pregnancy.
    Libgirl--hi.

I have a friend who is a doula too. She works at a birthing center--which is located right next door to a full-service hospital/medical center so that if anything goes wrong the woman can be in the hospital within minutes.

The major potential life-threatening problem associated with birth is the possibility of the mother bleeding out--IE--bleeding to death because the fully dilated uterus is incredibly difficult to stop hemorrhaging in.

And no amount of caring people surrounding the mother is going to stop her from dying from loss of blood.

Ditto with a neonate who is in respiratory or cardiac distress.

ETA--most OB/GYN docs do NOT recommend home births for first-time pregnancies beause the history is unknown--IE there is no previous history to go by.

I wonder why the idea of a home birth under less than ideal conditions is being defended?

Why is the idea of these people forcing their women to live in the 19th century so appealing?

Just wondering....

(I used to work in morgues and the saddest autopsies are those on babies/young children whose deaths could have been easily prevented by early and appropriate medical intervention.)

FORT Newbie

(longtime lurker, firsttime poster) I'm thrilled for Josh and Anna! I hope that she's having an easy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3726402;
    Emergency situations arise in seconds and must be dealt with immediately--especially where the mother is bleeding out or the baby is not breathing.
    Homebirth is safe for primips the same as for women who have already had a vaginal birth. The only difference is that primips have a higher rate of transfer to the hospital (not emergency transfers, transfers b/c labor is taking longer than expected, or transfers b/c mom would like pain medication like an epidural).

There was just as tudy that came out assessing the safety of homebirth vs. hospital birth in British Columbia, Canada - ww w. cmaj. ca/cgi/content/full/166/3/315 - that concluded (quote from academic study): There was no increased maternal or neonatal risk associated with planned home birth under the care of a regulated midwife.

Many people don't realize this, but a homebirth CNM comes equipped with all the emergency equipment that you have in a level 3 ER. Including the same medications used to stop hemorraging as they use in the hospital (pitocin injections, cytotec, and methargine tablets). If a baby is born not breathing the midwife is trained in neonatal ressucitation, has O2, and if the baby continues to have problems breathing properly 911 is called for paramedics to arrive and transfer the baby for further care at a hospital, same goes for a mother who is having medical difficulty.

Homebirth does NOT = 'unsafe'. Honestly, there are risks associated with hospital birth that are not present at home - higher rate of csection which increases the risk of maternal and fetal death, as well as a higher rate of infections.

Last edited by Sevilla2003; 10-14-2009 at 11:52 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Celestrial;3727070;
    Well to me....hypothetically. If a 'normal' woman made the news or was one t.v for a home birth. We wouldn't think anything of it. I remember on Gilmore girls I know it fictional.. but Sookie had a homebirth with her son. When i first heard of home births.
    That's what I think of when I think "home birth"!! And that scary midwife lady!

Bunny555 - I think you missed the point I was making. The families and the directions they've taken their shows in ARE apples and oranges - different as can be. But the premise of the shows themselves are the same, which begs the same generic questions and issues about these types of shows airing.

And regardless of whether or not you, personally can tell the Duggar children apart, their lives are still being displayed on TV. I just believe that children should be able to grow up and become who they are without having to worry about being on TV, and having their lifestyle judged continuously.

As for the hospital/home birth debate, I think it's safe to assume that Anna was under the care of a doctor during her pregnancy and that she consulted with him or her about the home birth, and don't we also know that she was under the care of a midwife during the birth?

Before the Duggar family got their tv series, there were a few specials done on them on TLC, at least one surrounding the birth of one of the babies. Michelle was under the care of a modern-day doctor. I'm assuming she would want the same for her Daughter-in-law.

Wind Dancer - I don't think this is repressive, in fact, I think it's the opposite. The concept of the fact that this is her choice is very twenty-first century.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevilla2003;3727497;
    (longtime lurker, firsttime poster) I'm thrilled for Josh and Anna! I hope that she's having an easy recovery.

Homebirth is safe for primips the same as for women who have already had a vaginal birth. The only difference is that primips have a higher rate of transfer to the hospital (not emergency transfers, transfers b/c labor is taking longer than expected, or transfers b/c mom would like pain medication like an epidural).

There was just as tudy that came out assessing the safety of homebirth vs. hospital birth in British Columbia, Canada - ww w. cmaj. ca/cgi/content/full/166/3/315 - that concluded (quote from academic study): There was no increased maternal or neonatal risk associated with planned home birth under the care of a regulated midwife.

Many people don't realize this, but a homebirth CNM comes equipped with all the emergency equipment that you have in a level 3 ER. Including the same medications used to stop hemorraging as they use in the hospital (pitocin injections, cytotec, and methargine tablets). If a baby is born not breathing the midwife is trained in neonatal ressucitation, has O2, and if the baby continues to have problems breathing properly 911 is called for paramedics to arrive and transfer the baby for further care at a hospital, same goes for a mother who is having medical difficulty.

Homebirth does NOT = 'unsafe'. Honestly, there are risks associated with hospital birth that are not present at home - higher rate of csection which increases the risk of maternal and fetal death, as well as a higher rate of infections.

Thanks for your post. I was just thinking the same thing but didn't have the facts to back it up. A few of my friends have had home births and one of their daughters just did last month. With her nose ring and tatoos, no one would accuse her of being religiously conservative!
    A lot of times we believe things are better or safer because we've been led to believe they are by doctors for whom the practice is easier. I know this to be a fact as one of my daughters recently gave birth as a VBAC. Most docs and some of the midwives she consulted cautioned her how dangerous a VBAC was and didn't want to help her. She did her research and found that actually, the risks for complications and death were higher for a C-Section than a VBAC! She found a sympathetic doctor who actually told her that other docs try to discourage the practice because it's more work for them. Standard practice requires them to be close by during labor of a VBAC - like IN the hospital as oposed to relaxing at home where they could be at the hospital in 15 minutes or so. That makes them more reluctant to take it on. (Not to mention the fact that they make more money from a C. Actually an OB nurse told me that. SHe saw the number of C's go up when the doctors she worked with had extra expenses to cover!)
    So sorry I digressed, but I believe Anna's choice was a safe one and motivated more by the fact that her dr was out of town and she became reluctant to go to the hospital than religion. Congrats to Josh and Anna!

+ Reply to Thread