+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Estate of Panic

Estate of Panic

ACTOR STEVE VALENTINE TO LORD OVER ‘ESTATE OF PANIC’

SCI FI’S NEW REALITY COMPETITION SERIES

FROM ENDEMOL USA

New York, NY – September 26, 2008 – As production commences this week on the new SCI FI Channel reality competition series Estate of Panic from Endemol USA, it was announced today that actor Steve Valentine (Crossing Jordan) has been tapped to host television’s most physically and psychologically challenging competition show yet. Estate of Panic consists of six 1-hour episodes and will premiere Wednesday, November 12 at 10PM ET/PT.

Steve Valentine is best known for playing Dr. Nigel Townsend for six years on NBC’s Crossing Jordan. He has also appeared as a guest star on numerous primetime shows including Just Shoot Me, Chuck, Will & Grace, Dharma and Greg, Boston Legal, JAG and Charmed. Always a performer, Steve has DJ’d in Europe, traveled the world performing stand-up and headlined in Las Vegas.

Estate of Panic is the newest reality thrill ride from the production company behind Fear Factor. In each episode, large quantities of cash are hidden in a massive estate and seven strangers are invited to find the money. But all is not what it seems, and the contestants will be challenged throughout the mansion to overcome the terrors that await them. After each of the three challenges, two people are eliminated and their winnings are added into the prize pot. The last person standing then faces a final challenge in the Vault Room, where their final winnings will be determined. Estate Of Panic is executive produced by Endemol USA. David Goldberg is the President of Endemol USA. The Executive producer is Richard Hall.

About Endemol USA

Endemol USA is a leading producer of television programming specializing in reality and non-scripted genres for network and cable television. The company produces the break-out hits “Deal or No Deal,” “Wipeout,” “1 VS 100,” “Fear Factor,” “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” and “Big Brother.”
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Re: Estate of Panic

This might actually be worth watching.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I've JUST caught onto this show, and its actually...

... kind of fantastic.

I know there's a lot of dissatisfaction that Sci-Fi Channel is putting money into Reality TV instead of well, Sci-Fi shows, but so far the two I've seen (this show, and Cha$e) have both been very, very entertaining.

Valentine is massively creepy, in an enjoyable Vincent Price kind of way, and the show itself IS indeed very creative, and different. It's got a bit of Fear Factor about it, which I know some people hate (not me though), but I think it implements it in a new and very creative way. Horror fans (especially classic haunted house horror fans) will love it. And the challenges actually seem pretty hard--genuinely stressful to the players, but without going over the top into something unpleasant to watch.

I recommend it. And if you don't have Sci-Fi channel... Hulu.com has it: Hulu - Estate of Panic

The house, by the way, is apparently NOT just some fake front and a dressed up studio. The casting application posted on various audition sites specified that the players had to have a passport and be able to travel to Argentina.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3246806;
    And the challenges actually seem pretty hard--genuinely stressful to the players, but without going over the top into something unpleasant to watch.
    Slight modification to that. I've just watched another episode via Hulu, and I have to admit... there's one particular type of room they've hit that IS fairly unpleasant to watch. Even still, I suppose the cruel part of me still enjoyed watching these poor fools deal with it.

When you see it, you'll likely know which type of room I mean. Lets just say, that some of the rooms are scary, and those aren't that tough to watch. Some are endurance, and those can be pretty fun to watch. Some are all strategy, and that can be cool too. But some look... painful. Within limits people can endure, for sure, but still...

Really, as much as Haunted House movies, this also reminds me a bit of those "Cube" films. Without, you know, all the blood and death.
    Last edited by Krom; 12-07-2008 at 10:46 AM.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

I love this show as well, Krom. And I agree, some rooms are just - well, indescribable. The Ice Room looked painful.

And I love Cha$se as well!
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

This show is one of my guilty pleasures. The host is really good and something about houses has always bothered me. I dreamt of a house somewhat like this for years (20 or so). Recently made the connection that it was a house from my childhood that burnt down while we were in it. Thank god I don't have those dreams anymore.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

hahahaha Last night there was a contestant named Jordan who ended up being stuck last in one of the rooms and he made a comment about "crossing Jordan" off the list! Most of the people didn't get it.
    This show cracks me up. They had to go through a sewer pipe (the water was obviously clean though) and find bags of money.
    Yup, with donuts!!

The mind games aspect of this show is what makes it so good. The way people freak out and stop noticing stuff, when they should damn well KNOW they need to remain observant is vital. I mean, it should be ESSENTIAL that as soon as there are only three left people in a room, they should start fighting for the exits. But they don't.

Getting caught last in that room, especially when its COMPLETELY due to someone not even noticing the others leaving, should be SO embarrassing. I'd rather lose by not having enough money than be the idiot who let everyone else leave and didn't even notice it happening. In a few rooms, really big ones, ones in tunnels, ones with smoke or mist, it can be forgiven, but some of these rooms aren't all that big. It's also forgivable if there's a "door fight", where one door releases before another and people are waiting at both. But if you are the idiot left digging in the dirt, or the garbage pile, or whatever, look up, and everyone else has been gone for five minutes? Good grief.

I believe there may only be ONE more new episode left. Hopefully they'll renew it and get more ready PRONTO, because its wicked fun.

So if anyone else here has seen the whole season (hint: go Hulu if you haven't) what's your "favorite" room? Personally I'm torn between the Kitchen (glue and maggots), the Basement (flooding and snakes), and the Garden (zap!), all for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3249373;
    hahahaha Last night there was a contestant named Jordan who ended up being stuck last in one of the rooms and he made a comment about "crossing Jordan" off the list! Most of the people didn't get it.
    Yeah. That was after the extremely clever exploding balloon and confetti room. I laughed.

Of all the contestants on all of the episodes, I've only really spotted an expression on ONE of their faces when Valentine comes out of definite recognition. Then again, they may have been coached about him, or even introduced to him, before the filming.
    Last edited by Krom; 12-11-2008 at 04:03 PM.

I like the room where the walls close in on you. Have NO idea why, as I am extremely claustrophobic.

Snake room wouldn't really bother me, I figure they wouldn't put any deadly ones in there. I can deal with harmless snakes. If I stuck my hand in one of those barrels of snakes and then heard a sudden rattle....oh my....
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

+ Reply to Thread