+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: America's Toughest Jobs

Re: America's Toughest Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;3219868;
    ....She's not doing well because Steven has longer legs than she does. And when at the end she beats the Korean martial artist, she makes a fool of herself rolling around and screaming. She's just a real joke. Now Michelle is a class act. She does her job and gets on with it.
    When they were all lined up waiting to hear who did the best, it looked like Rommell was the shortest of them all. Yeah, it could have been the camera angle, but, he never complained that he had to work twice as much to keep up with the other, longer-legged dudes.

I, too, loved the contrast between Michaela's soaking in everything about the climb compared to all the whining by lil Miss SourPuss about the cold, the snow, the air, the weight of her pack and her boots, etc.!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3220074;
    I couldn't believe how hard this job was, and one of the lowest paid. $15K. H-E-double-L-ish hiking, high altitude, cold, heavy packs, and danger.
    I was thinking about that when I heard the salary. I am guessing the reason the salary for a 1st year is so low is that they probably consider a first year person to be basically a person in training (the equivalent of a counselor in training) and probably trying to just hike the mountain and be paid for it, so they have to prove themselves before they can get better money.

Premium Member

Congrats to Ben the winner.
    Steven-2nd
    Sandy-3rd
    Michaela-4th

They had to do three of the toughest jobs the one that did the worst was eliminated, first the bull riding one, then the oil rigging job and finally the logging job.

Missed the first 20 minutes or so, but saw how Michaela got injured and eliminated. Wonder how she would have done had that not happened.

Interesting to see how many of these contestants switched careers after being on this show. I think Sandy was the only one who went back to her teaching job.

FORT Newbie

Congrats Ben!! I really enjoyed the show. Would really like to see a second season, maybe on discovery channel.

FORT Fogey

I enjoyed it as well. I kept stumbling on it even after they changed the night it was shown.

I find it interesting that the women were eliminated because of injuries--Sandy's broken finger slowed her down just enough to put her behind by those few seconds. Also found it interesting that Sandy *injured herself* by allowing anger to rule--she slammed her hand against the fence and broke her finger--a good lesson to keep emotions in check and use them to better one's performance.

And--as a woman who regularly competes against men in athletic/physical timed events I'd say that Sandy was not "making excuses" but using what she observed of others to goad herself to a better performance.

A lot of athletes do that--but we don't usually hear their thoughts spoken aloud as the contestants are encouraged to do.

As a female competitor I'd like to see another season of this show--very interesting variety of jobs and attitudes.

Yeah Sandy sabotaged herself. She probably would have won if she didn't injury herself. But yeah, I couldn't stand her attitude either. I wanted Steven to win.

I never saw 1 episode on TV. I don't even know what day it was on. Thank goodness for full episodes online.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234