+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Tabatha Takes Over (Bravo)

Re: Tabatha's Salon Takeover (Bravo)

Is it just me or is this show rapidly becoming very redundant? I've seen every episode so far and they're all pretty much the same -- owner with questionable management skills who starts off the week thinking Tabatha is a pain in the rear but by the end of the week has done a 180, dirty salon that needs a good cleaning and redecorating, stylists who do good work but lack proper leadership, etc. etc. etc.

It's easy to compare this with "Kitchen Nightmares" but while that show is also redundant in some aspects, each episode/situation seems to have something unique about it that keeps it interesting (at least for me).

I'll probably keep watching for at least a few more episodes, but the same thing week after week is going to get really old, really fast.
    Love lives forever <3

I'm surprised some are finding it repetitive so soon in the series. To me, the twist, the unpredictable part of each week is the mix of personalities involved. Some weeks I find Tabatha refreshing as she cuts through everyone's BS and makes them grow up and take pride in their skills/business. And then this past week, I thought she actually went a little overboard at times trying to change who the owner was while trying to fix his business, mostly because their personalities were so different. She ended up looking a little awkward for her strictness.

I kind of like that she may stumble once in a while because of her strong approach. Just like Ramsay, because it's not a pretty transition for the people she helps, it's not a guarantee that when she returns later, the owners are still following her advice and/or succeeding.

Yes, it is fairly simple to figure out how to improve a salon. That's why there aren't 50 shows like this on TV. I'm glad that they waited until they found another Gordon Ramsay-type personality who has the passion and the balls to make it interesting.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Even with all the personalities it feels repetitive to me too and I've only caught a handful of episodes. The makeovers all look similar to me too.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3190818;
    I saw the episode yesterday with Mr. Suave (I can't remember his name- Martino???) I have never seen this show before and I kind of liked it, although I did want to slap Mr. attitude with the glasses until he straightened out.
    This show is my new guilty pleasure.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one that wanted to slap Mr. Attitude silly. What a jerk.

I couldn't believe the lifestyle of Rico Suave. I mean, some on, how much money ARE you freaking spending on yourself??

I bet that poor couple in the first episode that were living on $7 a day for food while their salon stuggled were agast at how Martino lived.

I also find nothing wrong with him calling his customers, hon. I did have a problem with the licking. And he's right, some of these women are not fussed over at home and they do come back to a place where someone makes a big deal out of them and calls them hon.
    I dont' understand why Tabitha didn't get that part of it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3191367;
    I couldn't believe the lifestyle of Rico Suave. I mean, some on, how much money ARE you freaking spending on yourself??
    Worse, his house looked like something out of The Sopranos, only Carmela had better taste. In fact, I was noticing how awful the stylists look, with the overdone make up and overbleached hair, and I'm thinking, these are estheticians? Maybe it's a New Jersey thing?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fan

I no longer work as an esthetican but I have worked in salons, and I thought this would be interesting. The first episode was pretty interesting...but now?? bleech

I agree that this is NOT rocket science...there is a "sameness" to salons that are not doing well. Dirty, poorly decorated, poorly managed, owner is an egotist...what else is new??

This reminds me of the show where they switch stylists..that was ok to watch for a bit, but then pretty much became cliche (small town big hair beautican switches with hip city stylist with piercings/tatoos and pink hair)

Tabitha's show would be a big hit at beauty conventions or if sold on DVD thru trade magazines, but to watch this week after week is pretty boring. One thing never really addressed is that she can't hope to relearn all the bad habits the individual stylists may have...she can't give them God given talent or "knack" or "feel" for doing hair....she also can't retrain them ...although the one time they did send them to Sassoon school I guess

Really anyone can follow this formula....clean up the place...redecorate a bit....get rid of the most annoying stylist...hire a person to run the phone/book....and send the stylists back to learn advanced techniques

yawn....about as interesting as watching how a failing plumber's supply house or failing car dealership would make themselves over

FORT Regular

Most of what Tabatha did for Martino was right on -- but she was totally off in telling him how to deal with clients. She clearly didn't understand Jersey culture. And you don't have to be from New Jersey to understand Jersey culture. Watch a few eps of the Sopranos and listen to Springsteen & Bon Jovi for a few minutes and you'll get it.

I liked Martino. He seems like a really funny character -- and kinda fun to be around. It also looks like he mostly treats his employees well and is a good boss. IDK, I got the impression he's basically a nice guy with a good heart (just really self-indulgent). He certainly isn't the lazy tool we saw in the last one.

I sorta like Tabatha but I can see this concept is starting to get repetitive -- and the personalities are starting to really get annoying. But this show is about a zillion times better than Date My Ex!

FORT Fanatic

Martino doesn't need Tabitha, he needs Suze Orman.

He doesn't think he's living beyond his means. He's out of his mind.

I feel bad for him. The salon is the least of his issues.

Quote Originally Posted by candor;3191429;
    Worse, his house looked like something out of The Sopranos, only Carmela had better taste. In fact, I was noticing how awful the stylists look, with the overdone make up and overbleached hair, and I'm thinking, these are estheticians? Maybe it's a New Jersey thing?
    Trust me, it's a Joisey Thing!!!

FORT Fan

I thought the same thing about redundancy until Tabatha went to the salon with that over-the-top flamboyant dude (I forget the name). It saved the show in my eyes.

The producers need to find over-the-top personalities in every salon in order for this show to stay interesting. I want to see them at a black salon.

+ Reply to Thread