+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Tabatha Takes Over (Bravo)

Re: Tabatha's Salon Takeover (Bravo)

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3176165;
    I was a hair stylist for 25 years. There is NO way a stylist would or should put up with those rules and utter nonsense going on in that salon. Clearly they were fresh out of school and had no other options or just didn't know any better.

Rule #1. Make the salon attractive to clients and have a good location. Then sit back and wait for experienced stylists to come to you and bring their clilentelle with them. Or actively persue them, of course. Producing good cuts is the only road to a successful business. It doesn't matter how beautiful the place is, customers will not return for a mediocre cut because you serve wine and cappachino. You also want to cater to your stylists so they don't leave with their customers to find freedom and respect.

To have her husband quit his job and come work with her is the most ridiculous thing I saw there. There is no need for a manager to wander around! Since she is a stylist herself you have to wonder what she was thinking. Certainly she worked in several before she opened her own.
    You are absolutely right! I'm a hair stylist right now and work in a pretty nice salon. NO ONE that I work with would EVER work in a salon with a rule book like that! It reminds me of a franchise type salon( Great Clips,Fantastic Sam's). One of the best things about being a hairdresser is that you kinda make your own rules. You pay rent on your station and run your own business. Salon 10's employees are probably all commission. They (maybe) get 60% and the salon 40%. It was very odd that the one guy was on the floor with only 6 months experience! I wouldn't let him touch my hair with a 10 ft pole! That said it all for me. In a "real" salon he would only be assisting. (never mind the fact that he was an idiot)Obviously the owners wanted to control their stylists too much and that's why so many have left. I still think that it's too bad that Tabatha didn't spent any time "fixing up" the employees and I assume that she won't on future shows because if they didn't need it, then no one does!
    Last edited by tvaholic; 08-25-2008 at 03:51 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3176521;
    You are absolutely right! I'm a hair stylist right now and work in a pretty nice salon. NO ONE that I work with would EVER work in a salon with a rule book like that! It reminds me of a franchise type salon( Great Clips,Fantastic Sam's). One of the best things about being a hairdresser is that you kinda make your own rules. You pay rent on your station and run your own business. Salon 10's employees are probably all commission. They (maybe) get 60% and the salon 40%. It was very odd that the one guy was on the floor with only 6 months experience! I wouldn't let him touch my hair with a 10 ft pole! That said it all for me. In a "real" salon he would only be assisting. (never mind the fact that he was an idiot)Obviously the owners wanted to control their stylists too much and that's why so many have left. I still think that it's too bad that Tabatha didn't spent any time "fixing up" the employees and I assume that she won't on future shows because if they didn't need it, then no one does!
    I have never seen a commission over 50%.

If they do a follow up, my money is on that salon folding. I would never open a business without knowing that experienced stylists, who I know and have worked with, would come with me! She must know others in this trade? Where were they? Well, I can answer that. They didn't want anything to do with her. Someone who would make those rules is hopelessly out of touch with this profession.

Most small business fail because people might be really good at cutting hair or whatever the business is but they are horrible at running a business. It's just as important to be have a good business sense as it is to have a good product (or talent). This was a prime example of how a lack of business sense can ruin the whole thing and fast.

I can't believe that the owners had a large salon that was all updated but were eating rice and beans everyday because that's all they could afford. That is CRAZY. Wow.

For some reason, Bravo is showing tomorrow night's episode right now (midnight) on the East coast. Huh!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3180005;
    For some reason, Bravo is showing tomorrow night's episode right now (midnight) on the East coast. Huh!
    Ohhh. Watch it and let us know what happens! Guy on the preview sounded like a real piece of work.

Oh, he's a piece of work alright. 40 minutes into the episode, I'm surprised Tabatha hasn't taken a swing at him.

All excuses and attitude, no idea how to cut hair or run a business. The staff is actually okay, they just have no direction or structure, and the place is ugly and filthy. The salon will get a makeover, but I don't know what Tabatha can do with the fact that the owner and manager have no interest in their own business.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Thanks, MF. Maybe you should sick your Magic Elf on the guy. I don't know if I should watch it. I might wake my kid up yelling at the TV screen!

Am I the only person left on the planet who finds swearing unacceptable? Tabithas profanity laced vocabulary shows a lack of respect and class. One can be a straight talker without having to use the f word. As much as she rails against the lack of professionalism shown by the salons, she herself is guilty of the same thing because of the way she presents herself via her profanity. I recall this issue being brought up on Top Chef-on the reunion show the contestants were shown a montage of themselves swearing throughout the season. They were told such language showed a lack of professionalism.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

I agree that it's harder to win people's respect as a professional when you're dropping f-bombs in every other sentence. And I was one of the people complaining about the profanity on Top Chef this past season. But I guess if you're so passionate and good at what you do that no one can really stop your train, a la Gordon Ramsay, then you get to slide on the idea that you're an "insane genius."

I don't know if Tabatha is that good, but she seems to know every aspect of the industry she's in, and she hasn't struck a wrong note yet. She did seem to cuss more in this second episode, but the guy she was trying to save was completely exasperating. I don't think he'll put the work into keeping his business afloat; he's lazy, selfish, makes BS excuses, and he really doesn't know anything about haircutting. He has a good, newly motivated staff and a newly renovated salon, but that may not be enough to get him out of bed in the morning.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

TV reality is different from actual reality when it comes to this stuff. On tv, it's more dramatic to be swearing at people and flying off the handle, but in the real world, if anyone's boss acted like Gordon Ramsey they'd get sued or fired, lose all of their employees, etc.

+ Reply to Thread