+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest American Dog

Re: Greatest American Dog

Krom, I agree that Laura had a big hurdle with the size of her dog (who I will miss - he is so cute!). However, I think her problem was that she overthought the whole theme of the painting and didn't leave enough time to execute it. What she came up with was way too elaborate; isn't she a designer or something?

That said, I thought it was poor sportsmanship to call out Bella Star's mom as a diversion tactic. I'm sure she was hoping that they would be disqualified and she would get to stay instead. If her own painting had turned out better, I'm sure she wouldn't have even brought it up.

I also thought it was big of Travis to speak up and defend Beth Joy, when we were already of the flirtation/friendship between him and Laura. Yes, the dog was crying a little, but it was hardly abusive. The bands she had Teresa put around Leroy's mouth were much worse, IMO.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

I think the poor sportsmanship had a factor in her going home. I also think that she waited longer than others to start her painting, so blaming her small dog was a bit lame. It isn't the size of the dog, it is the tools you give the dog to use.

It was a hard challenge, but the last three have all been hard. It is interesting to see the relationships between the dogs and the owners. I respect Travis for keeping in mind that it bonding with his dog and making sure the dog is having fun that is important.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3165185;
    I think the poor sportsmanship had a factor in her going home. I also think that she waited longer than others to start her painting, so blaming her small dog was a bit lame. It isn't the size of the dog, it is the tools you give the dog to use.
    Its hard to tell stuff like that. While we didn't see a scene with her working with her dog until later in the broadcast, I'm not sure its all that safe to assume that the sequence of ANY reality TV show reveals an actual timeline in the real world. Its a reality trap we see all of the time. Do we assume that because we saw footage of five other people doing painting sessions with their dogs before we saw Laura do so mean that she didn't start working until those five others were? Of course not.

Footage is often cobbled together to fit a "story" they want to tell. From the raw footage it had to be obvious that Laura didn't expect Travis to make the comment he made. A producer seeing that, and then hearing Stuffy British Judge's Conclusion that "You didn't put in the work", and then seeing Beth Joy echo that theme in outrage, has to see the opportunity to build that story. And it might even be true. But I'm not willing to conclude its true merely because of a sequence of shots where there's no proof things actually happened in that order. I mean we know from previous episodes that Stuffy British Judge and the others will often come to COMPLETELY wrong conclusions, so her statement that it had to be laziness is unproven. Perhaps true, but we don't know. The results were MESSY, true, and the other judge, the little bald guy, was more sensibly focusing on that, but the lazy angle seems contradicted by other footage we saw where Laura specifically mentions that its taking the dog a long time to do something.

Is she guilty of a lack of imagination to overcome that? Probably. And that's probably a more reasonable basis to go.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I am glad she went, her accusations of Beth Joy made me angry. Find out the facts before you jump to conclusions.

That being said, I think the judges were harsh on most of the contestants. They chastised Beth Joy for dressing her dog up in a previous episode because dogs just don't wear clothes but they expect the dogs to paint? Dogs don't paint either.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Well, dogs do paint, just not with real painting implements...at least according to a CBS Sunday Morning story about a dog who scratches at an overlay with paint on canvas underneath. His "paintings" fetch some bucks. Anyway, I'm feeling the Bill/Star love more each episode. It was classy of him to return the dog bone suite favor (and such fun to watch the dogs romp) but, here was another challenge way out of his comfort zone. He is color blind to begin with...LOL.

I think the correct pair went home - and not just for the call out. It was more the way she "lied" to try to cover up her design flaw. And yes, I agree the judges are way too prone to snap judgements - especially the Brittish judge. Looks like the audience will get some satisfaction by seeing a judge catfight next week.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3165221;
    Its hard to tell stuff like that. While we didn't see a scene with her working with her dog until later in the broadcast, I'm not sure its all that safe to assume that the sequence of ANY reality TV show reveals an actual timeline in the real world. Its a reality trap we see all of the time. Do we assume that because we saw footage of five other people doing painting sessions with their dogs before we saw Laura do so mean that she didn't start working until those five others were? Of course not.
    Krom, I was going off of her statements that she waited to do her painting. Not the timing of seeing her. And from the surrounding scenes when she started you could see others were in the process of finishing up or mid way through theirs.

Add to that her reaction when the heart that she was hurriedly trying to do spilled over and became a blob. She was rushing, which also led me to the conclusion that she waited too long to actually start the work. And I am not saying she is lazy. Waiting too long to try to do something perfect or whatever her reasons were does not automatically make her lazy. But I think she did not leave herself time to accomplish her project. And blaming someone else or her dog's size is a cop out.

I truly understand the reality's of reality show editing. But I think it is still possible to find out reliable information from watching the shows. So I stand by my assessment, whether it is right or wrong.
    Last edited by AsIs; 08-14-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: added stuff about the heart
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Some potential answers (and a lesson in Reality Show manipulation, if you believe her--I say if because I'm certainly aware that her saying something doesn't prove much) from an interview with Laura:

Greatest American Dog Recap: "Salvador Doggy" | CBS, greatest american dog, Laura | PetSugar - Furry Friends.

On why Preston wasn't particularly engaged or enthusiastic about this task:
    In the beginning of the episode, Preston still has the black mohawk from the night before which was the "dancing with the dogs" night. We were given the task to paint at about four in the afternoon. We had a lesson and, by the time we could start painting, it was nighttime – California (Agora Hills) at night with short hair, he was chilly. He was so exhausted – you know your dog, you know when they're just not themselves and I just looked into his little eyes glazed over like 'Mama, I'm having fun but I kinda just want to sleep in, I don't really feel like painting.'
    We didn't get started until about noon, not because I was lazy. That's why I was really trying to be intricate with the stencils to prepare things for him to do. What the cameras didn't show was halfway through the day, it started raining and we had nothing done. Rather than having him paint in the rain, they didn't show me making stakes in the ground and taking a tarp to put a cover over him so that he wouldn't get wet and he wouldn't be cold. He was just so tired that I tried to make it as fun as I could have.
    If the two times she mentions above (noon and four PM) sound conflicting, what I'm thinking is that the assignment was given at noon, it started to rain, and they started again at four.

On the Beth Joy "callout":

People have to realize that for every five sentences that you say on camera, you've probably spoken for about 30 minutes.
    Travis felt bad. He's probably the most patient person in the house who was really sweet to get to know Beth Joy better than anyone else and did the right thing in defending her. It looks like it was Travis versus me in last night's episode but I happened to be the first one on stage and the judges poked and prodded about what was going on with Preston and I, asking 'well, was any dog overly challenged in your opinion?' and then they take it out of context and make it seem like I just threw it out there and volunteered the information when really my painting had nothing to do with Beth Joy.
    At the very least, this is a good illustration of how the producers feel free to resequence events, since on the actual broadcast show they implied that Laura and Preston came out last. In fact, didn't we even hear a sound cue from the host saying something like "... and finally, Laura and Preston". So, if she's being honest about when she came out, we can't even trust the sound cues--which could have been shot later or dubbed in.
    Last edited by Krom; 08-16-2008 at 06:32 AM.

I've watched more than enough reality TV to know it's the producers who call the shots and all we actually see is their version of reality. I've never liked that fact, but I've accepted that it's just the way it is.

That being said, though, it just really bothers me that TPTB would distort something so pure and wonderful as the love between a person and their dog all in the interest of creating artificial "drama"...it bothers me a lot.

Makes me wonder how much of the apparent dislike of "Elvis" and his owner earlier in the show was legit and how much was manufactured by selective editing.
    Love lives forever <3

Krom, I don't dispute anything you have written, lol, in this last post at least. But I still don't think that she was more handicapped than others. The others had the same issues to deal with. The only issue difference is dog size and depending on the size of your dog, is the tools you would use for your dog to paint. I still think she was the right choice to leave. Not a bad person, just the right person to leave at this point.

Last week, the owner/dog that went home, it was the right time for them to leave. The dog had completely shut down participating. Yeah, the owner was repulsive to a lot of us, but it was the dynamic between her and her dog that made it the right time for her to go.

Yeah, they manipulate things that we view. But all the competitors get the same tools to work with and it is what they do with them, combined with the interactions with their dogs, combined with the dog's desire to participate that determines who goes home.

Did the judges say things that were uncalled for? Is there a reality comp where they don't?

Thanks for posting her responses to some of the questions. But it doesn't sway that I think it was her time to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3167591;
    Krom, I don't dispute anything you have written, lol, in this last post at least. But I still don't think that she was more handicapped than others. The others had the same issues to deal with. The only issue difference is dog size and depending on the size of your dog, is the tools you would use for your dog to paint. I still think she was the right choice to leave. Not a bad person, just the right person to leave at this point.
    I don't think the issue would be how she stacked up against the others. Clearly her picture looked horrible. The issue is about the reasons summoned, the rationale built around the dismissal. A big trick of reality shows is emphasis shifting. Instead of her simply going home because she had the worst picture, shift... and then its all about her being a dirty fink, and lazy to boot, because British lady tells us she's lazy and Beth Joy performed a nice freak out the producers knew could be leveraged to pump up the volume of the episode.

Yeah, they manipulate things that we view. But all the competitors get the same tools to work with and it is what they do with them, combined with the interactions with their dogs, combined with the dog's desire to participate that determines who goes home.

Did the judges say things that were uncalled for? Is there a reality comp where they don't?

Thanks for posting her responses to some of the questions. But it doesn't sway that I think it was her time to go.
    Nor should it. It probably was, for reasons that were at least mentioned on the show, but not emphasized--the picture sucked. That's not the bigger issue.

But yes, this is what we've learned to expect from Reality TV. Its just that this particular show seemed so pleasant, its annoying to see through the cracks that its really no better, at least in that regards.

+ Reply to Thread