+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Greatest American Dog

Re: Greatest American Dog

I'm not so sure its any smarter to want/expect your pet to not run from a charging animal.

Even cattle herding dogs aren't expected to sit still and risk being trampled. It's why they run around the animals.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

If you think we're upset, go look at the CBS forum for the show. Wow. Now I don't feel so foolish for instinctively feeling so strongly that what we saw was total crap.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I don't watch this show that much, but caught this episode. I don't want to get in trouble with my comments, but here are my thoughts on the whole thing. I also thought the zip line challenge was crap. Some breeds (like Boxers, god love them) are happy go lucky and have less inhibitions. This challenge was dependent on a lot of inherent breed traits. I don't think the dogs that jumped off are dumb, they just have a different nature. It wasn't a fair assessment of anything. You can put human babies on a grid that looks like it has a drop off (in fact it is a developmental test) and they won't crawl over the edge. It is unfair to expect a dog to launch itself off a cliff. The elephant test? I don't know. My little Shih Tzu would have sat there the whole time, and my English Mastiff ...not a chance. I don't think scaring the crap out of a dog is that entertaining. What if it was a speeding car? Does the dog have to stay until you tell it to move? Ah well, it's not a bad show when nothing else is on. A little over the top maybe, but I love that little Maltese

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3180193;
    If you think we're upset, go look at the CBS forum for the show. Wow. Now I don't feel so foolish for instinctively feeling so strongly that what we saw was total crap.
    Wow, you're right -- there definitely is a lot of anger being expressed over last night's competitions, along with a lot of love and support for Bill and Star.

I wonder if anyone from CBS really reads any of what is posted.
    Love lives forever <3

FORT Newbie

I couldn't wait to get up this morning and read these comments, because I got so emotional over this show, because of what they expected these dogs to do. I really
    could not believe the danger they put these dogs thru, and
    call it COURAGE. The crazy judges expected these dogs to
    abandon their natural instincts of survival for a stupid stunt,
    that hopefully did not injure Galaxy, and give the others a
    false sense of security. The judges, as one person above stated, that they were bent out of shape because an owner
    pushed its butt down in a sitting position, etc., and called
    other acts cruel training. The judges stand out as so dumb
    just to regular folks, what must "Ceasar" think!! LOL I did
    think this show was entertaining and fun, but, I think they
    should have posted a warning like "jackass" or some of the
    other reality shows do---FOLKS DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
    The only way I would try and get my two little ragmop terriers to jump from that height, is if I were trying to rescue them from a burning building to save their lives, and
    I sure wouldn't want them to stay for a charging ANYTHING. I will miss Bill and Star, but if the judges have
    their way, it may be the last surviving dog that wins.

I meant to post this back when it happened, but got sidetracked and am just now getting around to it -- but it's something that glaringly points out the hypocrisy of the judging (Victoria's in particular).

Remember how she was so critical of Kenji's owner for using the "eh eh eh" method of training (which I agree was extremely annoying).

Imagine my surprise when I watched an episode of Victoria's show on Animal Planet (It's Me or the Dog) and discovered one of her recommended methods of controlling an unruly dog was for the owner to use the "eh eh eh" method!
    Love lives forever <3

FORT Newbie

Wow ! I just read the CBS forums, and there is a whopping amount of anger and emotions over there. I haven't read those forums before, and thanks for turning me on to them. I have just been reading these, and I enjoy this forum very much--the only one I have ever posted in. I enjoy ya'lls posts. Good to see how many good folks out there agree, though. Freethinker, I am glad you remembered that, because I watch Victoria's show a lot, and when I saw her judging this show, I was confused by the way she is judging, because most of it is totally against what she teaches. I use the eh, eh, eh on my little dogs that I learned from her, but not to the extent that Kenji's owner did. Oh, well, what could have been a good show, just turned out to be a bunch of BS and the judges credibility is tarnished IMHO.

That challenge was ridiculous! If Victoria got angry over Bill pushing Starr too much in the maze challenge (an overreaction, in my opinion), why wasn't she justifiably screaming mad over two stunts that probably frightened the dogs out of their wits?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3179818;
    They did the stupidest, most ill advised thing ever. They harnessed the dogs and called it "brave" if the owner could get the dog to jump from about 20 feet up and punished the teams where the dog was too SMART to jump.

And they also penalized shorter or older dogs for running up a shallower ramp to get up to that height, versus the taller or younger dogs who took a steep ramp. By this they eliminated Bill and Star, who's an old dog. Of course just last week they insisted that Bill shouldn't have pushed Star to do something that exhausted her.

Snooty British Judge was intolerably snooty about dogs not jumping or taking the shallower ramp too. She had her nose pointed straight up for half the review.
    And Poor little Andrew. I bet his legs aren't over 4 inches long, yet the bee-atch from Britain called him out for taking the shallower ramp and not jumping. They better get competitions that are fair for all dogs. And what if the dogs have learned that they can jump off of 20 foot heights and not get hurt, but won't have a harness the next time. God I really hate these judges, it is all about them and they have no concerns for the dogs, And why did they come down so hard on Travis? Presley did all the tricks? I think they have it in for him.

So what was the point of even having the less-steep ramp if everyone who took it was criticized?
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

+ Reply to Thread