+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Greatest American Dog

Re: Greatest American Dog

Quote Originally Posted by toads2u;3179810;
    What did they do, I remember the preview of Bill in a harness. Did the dogs have to fly?
    They did the stupidest, most ill advised thing ever. They harnessed the dogs and called it "brave" if the owner could get the dog to jump from about 20 feet up and punished the teams where the dog was too SMART to jump.

And they also penalized shorter or older dogs for running up a shallower ramp to get up to that height, versus the taller or younger dogs who took a steep ramp. By this they eliminated Bill and Star, who's an old dog. Of course just last week they insisted that Bill shouldn't have pushed Star to do something that exhausted her.

Snooty British Judge was intolerably snooty about dogs not jumping or taking the shallower ramp too. She had her nose pointed straight up for half the review.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I can't stand those judges. They jump all over Beth Joy for putting clothes on her dog because that's not natural then they make the dogs paint. Yeah, that's natural.

I am totally bummed now. I wanted Bill and Starr to win.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I am glad I won't be able to watch, sounds horrible.

I'm curious. Is there a single person here who'd WANT their dog to jump from a 20 foot height? The one and ONLY time I could think it would come in use would be if the dog was stuck in a house on fire, with the owner already below. Otherwise, if a dog was inclined to jump from that height at command, what's to say they wouldn't also tend to make a judgment that bad all on their own at some other time?

This is coming from a guy who once had a dog jump off a 2nd floor porch at about that height and shatter her leg into uselessness (the porch had an iron railing and the dog actually had to contort her body to get through, but she did, in about 20 seconds flat when my sister's back was turned--because there was some kind of animal running around the property below that she felt she had to give a piece of her mind to).
    Last edited by Krom; 08-27-2008 at 10:26 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I am a proud dog owner. I don't do all the training I should but it is more important for my dog to learn what NO is than to learn to follow me blindly. I can't imagine my dog EVER doing something he knows is not safe. He would just go submissive rather than do something is he afraid of. I am shocked that they would require the dog to do something so unnatural.

I loved the look of "WTF" expressions on the dog's faces when the elephant came towards them. lol

And no, I would NEVER want my dogs to jump off a ledge just because I tell them to! I hope those dogs don't think it's ok to always jump off a ledge now. I'm sure Galaxy hurt herself on the harness. Poor thing.

Andrew sitting still with that elephant coming at him was absolutely breathtaking. I love that little guy, and I usually am not a fan of little fluffy dogs. I think Andrew may be the smartest dog on the show. The way he is focused on his mom (forgot her name all of a sudden) and listens to her so intently is very special.

I will feel bad for Galaxie if she has to go home, because while I think Andrew is the brightest one in the bunch, Galaxie may be the best trained. JD's skills as a trainer are very impressive and he and his dog clearly know each other very well. It did not seem that the injury would do lasting damage (I hope not!), but I'd hate to see them eliminated because of it.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

I hated everything about tonight's "stunt dog" challenge, particularly the zip line part that ultimately punished the dogs whose instincts told them to NOT jump off that ledge.

I'm going to miss Bill and Star so much.
    Love lives forever <3

They had dogs jump from a ledge. What morons. I love the dogs on this show and kind of like a few of the owners, but damn judges suck. Make humans eat bugs, do stupid $h*t, I don't care. But don't put dogs thru that. They don't sign some stupid agreement.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

I loved the first part of tonight's show with the elephant. Andrew was amazing! My dog probably would have eaten the banana and then waddled away from that elephant as fast as he could.

I agree with y'all on the zip line challenge. Who would want their dog to think it was ok to jump off of anything that high? Bill was so excited about seeing his "orange dog fly" but, in the end, he did the right thing when he realized that Star didn't want to fly. He also did the right thing for Star by taking the easier ramp. I'm going to miss both of them, and I do hope that Galaxy is not seriously injured. I think I'm going to cheer for little Andrew next week.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread