+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Runway Australia 3

I still say Kamila FTW :P OzNTM's Avatar

Project Runway Australia 3

Next Tuesday (7th July), the Australian version of Project Runway will start. I can't wait - I've only recently started watching the US version (started at the end of the 3rd season, and now watching the 4th , tonight we get to see the finale - I know who wins though lol) and really like this show.

Ours will be hosted by model Kristy Hinze, with judges "international fashion designer Jayson Brunsdon and fashion buyer and forecaster Sarah Gale" - here's a news article about it - Kristy Hinze - Interview News - Gold Coast, QLD, Australia

The mentor will be designer Henry Roth, he reminds me very much (in looks, probably because of the glasses) of Tim Gunn. The winner gets to show their collection at the L'Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival in 2009, among other prizes.

The official website is Project Runway but as of right now, there is nothing on it, apart from a notice telling us that registrations are closed, hopefully that will change this week to let us know who the contestants are and stuff like that (the article above names three of them).

Re: Project Runway Australia

I've watched PR Canada and UK's Project Catwalk, and I can't wait to see this too. I hope there are semi-easy ways for Americans to see episodes at some point.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I beg anyone from Australia to put it up on Youtube!

I'm sure someone will

I really can't wait, I need something to watch (and comment on, I'll try and do recaps like I did for AusNTM) now that AusNTM is finished (Demelza won, for those who are interested), and seeing as I don't care about Big Brother Australia for the first time since it started (I've only watched the opening night, a couple of evictions and that's it, it just bores me this year) I need something to entertain me!

Hopefully there will be more information as it gets closer to next Monday - I did find some site which I think had all the contestants names on it, but can't remember where - I'll try and find it tomorrow if I can (I think it was a tv guide type of site, not sure though).

Yay it starts in about an hour from now! I found another website for it - I decided to check on Arena's (the channel it's on) website and found it.

Home :: Project Runway

It has all the contestants on it and stuff.

Be back later to let you all know how the first episode went!

I watched it earlier on Arena, but missed the start - now watching it again on Arena+2 and doing a recap. I'll warn you in advance that it will have bits and pieces (especially names) missing lol as at the start it's kind of hard to know who's who.

The show starts off introducing the contestants. First up is Mark Antonio – he won the Australian Fashion Awards in 2006. His message is “Buckle up, you bitches”. Then there’s Juli Grbac – she designs dresses for women. Sophie Spalding is a ‘quirky chick’, is into vintage clothing. Leigh Buchanon has been interested in fasion since he could walk in his mothers heels. He makes wedding dresses. Brent Zack makes streetwear. Next is Lui Hon, his style is about women, form and function Petrova designs party dresses. Alison Davis’ style is colourful. She’s fresh, new and young and “I want it”. Oren (?) loves fashion and clothes and loves making people feel good about themselves. Helen Manuell has had no training whatsoever, she makes frocks and has won a few awards. They get mail – saying welcome to Melbourne, and to meet Kristy and Henry on the rooftop. They all stand around getting to know each other when Kristy comes out. She welcomes them – Mark makes a comment about “If I had legs like that…geez I’m up to her knees” (he’s short). Kristy introduces Henry Roth to them. He says this is the biggest opportunity of their lives, he wants to see the passion in their fashion. Their designs will be created at the Whitehouse Institute, which will also be the site of their first challenge – they have to design an evening dress which reflects their personalities. Kristy tells them the Whitehouse institute is 3kms away from where they are – they have to run there to get their material – first in best dressed. Some people got lost on the way. Leigh came first, he thought “yay, I’ve got the best opportunity”. Mark was just worried about his hair lol. They go upstairs to the design room. Sophie says it really sunk in that they were on Project Runway. Henry tells them they have 3 hours that day – they all start sketching. Alison wants to create a bright bold garment. Helen finished hers in the 3 hours. Brent says he has had no experience at all designing evening gowns. He is shown clowning around a bit – he drapes a piece of material over his head and says “Luke, I am your father”, then has something (maybe a round bin lid?) on his head, saying “Exterminate, Exterminate” like a dalek.

Leigh says “Quite a few of us need all the time we can get”. They have 11 hours til the end of the day. Brent says he’s excited about the day ahead. Lui says his thinking is about the timing, he has to stay focused. Helen says she knew exactly what frock she was going to make. Deborah says it seemed like Helen was gloating (because she finished). Leigh says for someone who claimed to be the frocker, her dress in his opinion was not runway worthy. Henry came in to talk to the designers. He tells Leigh to fix the bodice of his dress, Alison’s is a short dress and he doesn’t think it is glamorous enough. Petrova – Henry loves her dress, he thinks it’s dynamite. He sees Brent hasn’t got far, he only has his pieces cut out. He shows Henry his sketch, he tells Brent to make the reality happen, he needs to start sewing. He then leaves. Brent gets on the sewing machine. Leigh is unpicking his corset – one of the girls says she can’t belive he’s unpicking it, he says “oh what’s a bit of unpicking between friends” and he was put on this earth to unpick. Henry comes back in and sends in the models. Mark says he loves his model, she’s stunning. Sophie says she had the sweetest girl in the entire world. Brent says he was a bit pressed for time when his model came, he was still sweing, and the only thing he could do was to explain about what his dress would look like. The models time is up and there’s 45 minutes left. Leigh says it’s got to the stage where everyone’s ‘a bit delirious, everyone’s gone a bit nuts’. Helen says she saw Brent was struggling, so she helps him sew. A few of the designers aren’t happy about that – because it’s a competition.

It’s the day of the runway show and everyone is working hard. Henry (I keep going to write Tim, been watching too much Project Runway US lol) comes in and tells them he’ll be sending their models in soon and they’ll have two hours to get them to the Loreal make up room and Tresemme hair salon. He also tells them to make use of the Myer accessories wall. We then see shots of the models getting their hair and makeup done. Shane was quite pleased with his design. Helen says she knows she’s got a frock that will get her where she needs to be today. Brent was still making adjustments when Henry came in to tell them it’s show time.

Runway show:
    Kristy introduces the judges, Karen Webster is the guest judge.
    First up is Juli’s design – it looks good.
    Helen is next, she thought ‘yeah I stuck it, that’s all I need”. It looked ok but a bit boring
    Oren says his was quite dramatic in colours but it didn’t look quite the way he wanted it.
    Mark was quite pleased with his, he was watching the judges reactions and thought they looked happy.
    Alison says she thought hers was the brightest
    Shane was quite pleased with what he’d achieved.
    Leigh thought his design stood out, it was bright colourful and different.
    Sophie was nervous, but she was pleased.
    Deborah was happy about the texture, and that the light made it look like an evening dress.
    Lui wasn’t quite sure about his.
    Brent was excited seeing one of his garments on the runway for the first time.
    Petrova was excited too – the beads sparkled, it moved well.

Alison, Leigh, Oren, Brent, Shane and Petrova are asked to step forward. Kristy says the people whose names she didn’t call could leave the runway – they were safe. The 6 remaining are asked about their designs. Shane is first – he says he’s always loved drapery. One of the judges says she questioned the use of velvet for draping, as it’sa heavy material, but it worked. Alison wanted hers to be bright and look young but Jason says he thought it looked old. Leigh’s dress is very much Vivian Westwood according to the designers, he says they were both inspired by the same people. He’s asked about the bodice, he tells them Henry told him to interline it and he’s glad he did. Oren tried to do a colour block of different shades of greys. The judges think he had the right idea but find it a bit confusing. Petrova’s is called adorable by Jason. Kristy loved the colour and says its something she would wear, but the judges agree the hem needed to be different. Brent’s is unique according to Karen, Kristy likes the hood, but she doesn’t understand why he draped a big piece of black. Jason says it looked like a big sea urchin and asked if he had help – Brent admits he had no idea what he was doing in regards to evening dresses, and did have help. The judges send the designers off so they can deliberate. They really liked Shane’s, and Petrova’s. Leigh’s was executed beautifully. Alison’s was ‘an old dress’ and off putting. Oren tried to put too much into his. Brent – the judges like his passion and the fact he can recognise his own weaknesses. The designers are called back.

Shane is in. Leigh was the challenge winner, and has immunity for the next challenge. Petrova, and Oren are in, leaving Brent and Alison as bottom two. Kristy says Brent tried to create something original but did not deliver. Alison’s dress wasn’t glamorous nor evening wear, it wasn’t what they were looking for. Brent is in – Alison is out. (wait, yes that should be ‘owt’ – we Aussies say it like that too but more pronounced - more like owwwwt lol).

Next week: Challenge is about lifestyle – beach meets bar. The claws are out, the designers are freaking.

My thoughts:

Mark reminds me of Christian S4 - he's young, he acts confidant. Deborah reminds me of Victorya - in looks, and from the little I've seen, she could have a bit of a bitchy streak. Leigh reminds me of someone too - I can't think who though, mental block lol (apart from Rami only because of the draping).

I didn't really like most of the dresses tonight. I didn't mind Petrova's though. Alison's was really a mess and so not evening wear - unless the event you were going to was some kind of retro themed night - even then, I'd much rather wear a real retro evening dress and not hers. Apart from that, it looks like Project Runway Australia's first season will be great IMO - to me, it has that feel of having been around for a while, and it's not the first season - I guess that's because the format is the same as the US series, and we just finished S4 last week, and have gone straight into the Australian one.

I think that if you go to the Arena website, you will be able to see the designers dresses. It's coming up with an error at the moment (for me at least), perhaps it was overloaded? Anyway, I saw something on there earlier next to each designer's bio that had to do with their designs, which said 'coming soon'.

Oh and another thing I forgot to add before - one thing I didn't like about the show was on the runway, it felt to me that the models were too fast - they would get to the ends of the runway and do their poses really quickly. Even their walk seemed a bit fast. Perhaps that will change as the designers numbers dwindle though - more time to show the designs.

Edited to add: I just checked and the whole Arena website is down, not just the Project Runway minisite. Hopefully it will be fixed sometime soon. If it works for anyone else, let me know - it may be just my computer?
    Last edited by OzNTM; 07-07-2008 at 09:59 AM.

I found the show's MySpace page today:

Project Runway

It has photos of the designers' dresses on it. After looking at them, I find Alison's to not be as bad as I thought.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast