+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Celebrity Circus

Re: Celebrity Circus

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3056019;
    I pretty much agree with everyone's assessments here.

Antonio is my frontrunner. It was obvious how hard he worked to perform a very difficult routine and it looked as it he had more individula content and less cover content from the professionals than most. Doesn't hurt that he's totally gorgeous either.

Stacey Dash surprised me, too. Compare what she did with three craced ribs to Blu who did nothing at all but complain and moan. Stacey is also over 40 years old and is three years older than Rachel Hunter, something else that surprised me.

I was impressed with Chris Knight, too. That balance bar is very heavy and he carried it with a broken arm and a girl perched on his shoulders. Walking the wire blindfolded is certainly not easy. I don't know how well he'll be able to handle some of the other acts; a broken arm takes time to heal.

Janet Evan's abilities didn't really surprise me, but I was happy to see her do well, too.

I found myself really liking Wee Man. His personality and determination were praiseworthy. I think his size may prove to limit what he can do, but you never know. I hope he stays around for a while.
    She looks mighty fine I thought she was in her 20's.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

It actually wasn't nearly as bad as I assumed it would be.

Not that most of these people are "stars", but I suppose the definition of "celebrity" IS a bit looser than "star" these days.

FatOne was predictably over the top, but I guess the Ringmaster role required it. The judges are a real trio of walking talking stereotypes. But the actual difficultly of the acts, and the final look of them, is actually pretty entertaining.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I forget: Did the judges feature a random female, a random male, and a british guy?
    People who want to be equal's lives are filled with subtractions and auditions
    Marilyn Manson-Doppelhurz

Quote Originally Posted by The Pope;3057023;
    I forget: Did the judges feature a random female, a random male, and a british guy?
    No, they were broader cliches, not specifically "reality show judge cliches" (although yes, there were two guys and one woman).

First we had the gay guy. A super-over-the-top one, who not only had the mannerisms and the lisp, but also (on air) made lascivious comments about wanting to have sex with all of the male celebrities, while referring to the ladies as "home girls" and stuff like that.

Second, we had a circus specific cliche--the female French trapeze artist, desperately trying to hold onto her youth with tons of cosmetics, calling everyone "darleeng" and "cherie", and (I'm just betting) chain-smoking during every break.

Third, we had some gymnast guy, who actually didn't seem to fit that well, but well... seemed like every other gymnast guy who's taken some kind of talking-head role after his retirement.

In terms of the scoring though, the French lady was kind of the Simon. Or maybe if we base this on DWTS, the Len Goodman. Usually she was a point lower in scoring than the other two. The gay guy kind of scored like Bruno, from DWTS. He'd get really enthusiastic about someone and score high, but it seems like he can also turn on a dime and toss out a really low score just because he's feeling pissy.
    Last edited by Krom; 06-14-2008 at 04:55 PM.

I agree with a lot of what you say, Krom, but I would never refer to Mitch Gaylord as "some gymnast guy." He led the American team to the gold medal win in 1984, he was the first American to ever score a perfect 10 in the olympics, and he invented moves on the highbar that are still being done today; i.e., the Gaylord Flip and the Gaylord Flip 2.

Yes, he's done a little movie and tv acting, but that's not why I remember and admire him.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3057323;
    I agree with a lot of what you say, Krom, but I would never refer to Mitch Gaylord as "some gymnast guy." He led the American team to the gold medal win in 1984, he was the first American to ever score a perfect 10 in the olympics, and he invented moves on the highbar that are still being done today; i.e., the Gaylord Flip and the Gaylord Flip 2.

Yes, he's done a little movie and tv acting, but that's not why I remember and admire him.
    Being old enough to remember what an amazing gymnast Mitch was, I chuckled at the "some gymnast" line, too. But he does seem a bit out of place as a judge. I guess he knows what it takes to work an apparatus, but still....

I've gotta say that Mitch has not aged well, and he looks like he's giving Bruce Jenner a run for his money on the plastic surgery front.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;3058361;
    Being old enough to remember what an amazing gymnast Mitch was, I chuckled at the "some gymnast" line, too. But he does seem a bit out of place as a judge. I guess he knows what it takes to work an apparatus, but still....

I've gotta say that Mitch has not aged well, and he looks like he's giving Bruce Jenner a run for his money on the plastic surgery front.
    Now, I do not agree with that. He looks quite good. Bruce Jenner on the other hand is totally unrecognizable as the Olympic Athletic he once was.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I think Mitch looks pretty good at 47 and I'd sure buy his fitness DVD's over Jackie Warner's.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

This show actually continues to be oddly compelling. Although suffering through the increasingly inane Deal or No Deal to get to it is NOT fun.

I actually think the first week performances were better overall, and I'm REALLY puzzled why they acted like Stacy Dash hit it out of the park this week when what I saw was SERVICEABLE but not spectacular, but... whatever. I had a bowl of popcorn ready (no cotton candy around) and enjoyed it.

Premium Member

did everyone agree about Blu Cantrell getting the boot, although I hear she scored Antonio Sabato Jr. they are dating now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast