+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Nashville Star - Season 6

Re: Nashville Star - Season 6

[QUOTE=Pabby;3050083
    Does anyone remember if Coffey auditioned for American Idol a few seasons back? It seems like his wife was about to deliver their baby during the auditions, and I think he made it to Hollywood Week. I remember thinking he was very good back then, and was surprised he didn't go further. He was one of my favorites last night. I also really liked Melissa Lawson. [/QUOTE]

Coffey Anderson auditioned in Season 2 of American Idol. The baby girl was born the day of his audition, I remember seeing that clip. He also made it to Hollywood week, but didn't make the show.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by xmaskat;3047584;
    I am so mad! We had severe weather alerts here so the stupid local weather guy was on for most of the show... we got to see the first 20 minutes and the last 3 people who performed. I had been looking forward to this show for months .
    I will have to check out CMT to see when they are airing the repeats.
    I hear ya, I'm pretty sure we have the same weather guys. They can't let us go back to the show until they have demonstrated all their new weather toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3049347;
    Did anybody else notice that the acoustics is REALLY messed up? The contestants sounded pretty good during their pre-clips but then when they got on the stage? Every single one sounded too fast and off. Even Taylor Swift sounded off. I know some are wondering how this group can possibly be the best of the best that tried out but I don't think it's their fault. I think whoever set up the sound messed up. Also the judges were raving over songs that I thought were a complete mess, they HAD to be hearing something different.

Anyways....I was once stationed on the USS Iwo Jima, it was funny seeing BRC on it. I think I'm loving Coffey the best right now but that could chance. Still don't have a favorite picked up, hoping that whatever is wrong with the sound will be fixed next week.
    I was wondering if thinking the sound was off, so glad to know it wasn't just me thinking that. I thought it was horrible. I sure hope they get that problem fixed because it just made the show much less enjoyable.

Something seemed off about the whole show. Billy Ray didn't really bother me, but I thought Jewel and Wynona both have done a better job. It's interesting to see Jewel in the judging spot since she was so sympathetic last year when the judges were harsh.

This is my first chance to watch this show and I must say it is far better than AI at this point. I love Billy Ray as the host and don't have any problems with any of the judges at this point.

I was surprised that Charlie was eliminated instead of the red head. She is beautiful, but I enjoyed him more.

I heard most of the performances and the only one whose voice I didn't like at all was Coffey.

I know what you guys mean about the sound system. I couldn't tell if it was the voices or the mechanics with some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3048425;
    You have good taste Krom.
    Part of why I'm generally so disgusted by most modern country.

I understand the move away from the crusty old stuff like the Statler Brothers and the Oak Ridge Boys [my compliments earlier in this thread for "Elvira" were deliberately backhanded--it's cheese and we all know it]. But there was a nice middle period, AFTER that stuff started to (rightfully) fade, but before country became Pop Music with a twang.

Or if I have to go "older", heck, go all the way back to Hank Williams (No "Junior" or Number following).

To me, Country music's identity has become muddled. And crap like Taylor Swift (aka "the Country version of Miley Cyrus"--which is ironic given who Miley's father is) being "in" now, isn't helping.

With good country, it's not a matter of it sounding "modern" vs. "too old fashioned". Good country, to me, is timeless. It's why you can draw a direct line from Hank Williams, to Willie Nelson, and then finally to the small handful of current performers with the same sensibilities--while skipping a lot of crap in the middle (as well as most of what's currently playing on the radio). It has an emphasis on songcraft, it requires a GOOD voice, even if not one with a big range, a connection with the audience, a command of emotions.

I actually also like a lot of Alt Country--which to me ironically has a lot more in common with the likes of Hank and Willie than current mainstream Country.

I'll give credit to the judges on this too. Jewel, while I don't really think of her as bonifide Country, has always come off to me as talented and at least I can see her having a good general idea of what's good country. And Big & Rich actually kind of crack me up, so I'm willing to listen to John Rich's opinion.

Billy Ray as the host and don't have any problems with any of the judges at this point.
    Really? Cause I though B.R. did a TERRIBLE job. Muttering into the microphone, looking down at the floor all of the time, sounding about as excited to be there as me if I was dropped into a Hannah Montana concert...

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I was bummed Charley Jenkins left. I have seen him open for Collin Raye and he is an excellent performer.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3057855;
    Really? Cause I though B.R. did a TERRIBLE job. Muttering into the microphone, looking down at the floor all of the time, sounding about as excited to be there as me if I was dropped into a Hannah Montana concert...
    Billy Ray is not a professional host like Ryan Seacrest and I think is much better as a result. He can relate to both the the judges and the contestants while providing some star power and respect from both. He is not bubbly and doesn't make obnoxious comments like Ryan either - I don't see a downside to this. He knows the show is about the contestants; not him and not the judges.

Sadly for me it will be difficult for me to post with this show, because I probably won't get to see the shows the first time around so you all may catch a break here.

I could take or leave the old sound of country music, but I do enjoy today's version. I found Taylor Swift intolerable on the show and turned the channel until she was done. I can't say that I'm a fan.

FORT Newbie

I think Billy Ray needs to have a little bit more enthusiasm, he sounds a little boring. The judges are doing a great job this season, but I think I like LeAnn Rimes hosting much better....

Flat is the new "in tune", I guess. I'm just listening to many of these folks and shaking my head. It's not all of them, but its too many.

Has this show always had this "judges coaching" thing? The only show I've seen that's done that before this is the U.K.'s X-Factor.

This little guy singing C.C.R. is actually the best one so far.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I liked the military guy singing Big and Rich. So far that is the only one that has stood out for me so far tonight. The rest is a bit meh...
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

+ Reply to Thread