+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Nashville Star - Season 6

Re: Nashville Star - Season 6

yea

YEAH Melissa!!!

Yay! Melissa was definately one of my faves. Two seasons in a row one of my faves win! Even though the winner was painfully obvious from the intro clip on the first episode, I still enjoyed Melissa. Definately deserving and I hope she breaks out of the shell and actually has some success, something none of the winners have found.

I'm guessing the franchise is probably done now

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I was watching but wasn't able to get online to "talk" with you Unk!

I, of course, loved the Achy Breaky Heart but felt a little weird seeing Melissa and Gabe sing the lyrics to "I've had the time of my life"

I'm sooooooooo glad Melissa won! She looked and sounded great! I liked the winner's song too!

I would have liked to have seen some recognition for Angela Hacker during the season...hell, did they even mention her at all? I realize being that she's from here where I live, I see and hear her around locally playing different events but its like Nashville Star wiped her from their memory. Hell, as bad as Simon hates Taylor Hicks on AI, he's gotten more recognition that Angela has from Nashville Star!

I vote for Nashville Star to go back to USA Network, get rid of the dancers and be less slick. I'm definitely OK with Jeffrey Steele coming back , as big of an ass that John Rich can be-I'd be OK with him coming back. Jewel, she was a better host than a judge and God love Billy Ray...I don't know about him!

Another reality show over with for me...but I'm sure another one is right around the corner to take its place Biggest Loser, DWTS.......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Angela Hacker didn't win. Haven't you heard? The producers of NS have rewritten history and made Whitney Duncan (TCO) the winner! They had her plastered all over the ITunes store when this season started with Nashville Star surrounding her. No, they didn't claim she was the winner but to the casual viewer who hadn't watched the show? It looked that way and Angela Hacker was nowhere to be found.

I hope Melissa gets better treatment, but, I did want Shawn to win.

August 04, 2008: The Top Two

Hummmm….didn’t like the finale much; could have been a lot bigger. I was expecting an extravaganza; some big name performers. Melissa did a nice job with Sugarland’s Something More but Neilsen ratings would look a lot better had Jennifer Nettles sang it with her. How about a Miranda Lambert-Shawn Meyer duet on Gun Powder and Lead? What about Alan Jackson teaming with Gabe on Gone Country? What if Brad Paisley and Gabe teamed up for Celebrity? That would have been a can’t miss finale to remember! Nashville Star, if it is to take a place alongside such successful prime time talent shows like America Idol, America’s Got Talent, Dancing With The Stars, and So You Think You Can Dance, will need a bigger budget. Hopefully that will happen very soon.

Congratulations to Melissa Lawson! Can’t say I’m surprised by the result; I suspected she might win the first night I tuned in. Gabe is a good singer but these shows are about more than talent alone. I know he's working on his image, and there are people out there who do this very well. Good luck Gabe. I wish you all the best. He fought a good fight, and did it with honor and dignity. But, this show has negatives. 1) Billy Ray Cyrus did his job; no complaint here; he didn’t make an egregious mistake this season, but, he is one of the most stoic, uninteresting, and charisma-challenged host I’ve ever seen. Surely there’s a young, vibrant, fun-loving, photogenic, camera friendly, and contemporary country personality out there who does it better. 2) The show needs better contestants. In my opinion, several contestants didn’t sing well, lacked entertainment value, and didn’t look good on camera. Some fit all three categories, and in my opinion, didn’t belong. Although none fit all three categories positively, I think Shawn Meyer, Melissa Lawson, Coffey, Gabe Garcia, Ashlee Hewitt and Justin Gaston did belong; each served a purpose; each commanded attention; talent, entertainment, or looks; they were made for prime time television.

I tuned in to the show because of John and Jewel. I like them as people, and I love their music. Until Nashville Star, I didn’t know Jeff, and vaguely remembered Boy Howdy. I listen to country music, but grew up on a steady diet of rock and R&B. I love everyhting about music. Classical music is not my first love either, but I listen. It’s impossible for any musician to hear Puccini’s passionate aria, Nessun Dorma (Turandot); Carl Orff’s powerful cantata, Carmina Burana; Joaquin Rodrigo’s haunting Concierto de Aranjuez; Rachmaninoff’s schizophrenic Concerto #3 in D Minor, or Bach’s beautiful Air on a G String and not appreciate classical music. I could listen to Segovia (and Feliciano) play classical guitar all day. My apologies to traditionalists, but I prefer contemporary alternative rather than old school, traditional country music; especially those with a strong rock influence (The Gourds, Big and Rich, Keith Urban, Lucinda Williams, and Ryan Adams (Whiskey town); or contemporary country soul vibe (Martina McBride, Buddy Miller, and Garth Brooks). Although his is a frontier to itself, I like the hell out of Trace Adkins; that dude is a fringe dweller. We know he’s country but there’s no sub-genre that defines what he does. I mention this to show that country, like all genres of music, is complex, varied, and ever changing. I plan to listen to a lot more country music; hopefully, I’ll understand, appreciate, and love it as much as rock and R&B. Nashville Star was a crash course to me; country music 101; but I learned a lot. I’ll get there.

Finally, it took some time but I grew to love the judges. When not fixated on protecting a myopic vision of traditional country music, they did a good job. John is an entertaining bad cop; Jewel is the patient, sympathetic, positive-minded optimist; and Jeff is the smug academician, a role that fits him like a glove. I enjoyed the show and I hope they return next season.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 08-05-2008 at 06:25 AM.

I'm very happy Melissa won.

I didn't catch any writer credit for the trophy song. Does anyone know? Whoever chose it hit a home run. It's my favorite since Buddy's "I Want To Thank Everyone"

I am SOOOOOOO glad Melissa won! I was worried that she and Shawn would split votes and Gabe would end up the winner. He's good, but still has a ways to go in my opinion.

I hated that this and the Mole were on at the same time. Thank goodness for TIVO.

And how great is it that a Married, mother of five who isn't a super model won! And it was magical watching her sing when she was singing songs like This Ones for the Girls. Any time she sang about empowerment her face just shined.

Can't wait to get her album!

Her single is on Itunes!
    Last edited by AsIs; 08-05-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: adding text
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

^ The girl who won last year (Angela Hacker) was a mother and not a supermodel either.

Sorry, I didn't see that season. I don't get the Nashville Network.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

+ Reply to Thread