+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Nashville Star - Season 6

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Nashville Star - Season 6

Link Here

Miley Cyrus thrilled fans and surprised Nashville Star judge Jeffrey Steele when she made an impromptu appearance at a fund-raiser over the weekend in memory of Steele's son, who died last year.

Steele's 13-year old son Alex LeVasseur, an avid skateboarder, was killed in an ATV accident in 2007, a tragedy that inspired his family to create The Alex LeVasseur Fund. On Sunday, Steele and his family presented the second annual Alex LeVasseur Memorial Skate Festival at Jim Warren Park in Franklin, Tenn., to benefit the fund complete with a star-studded concert.

Grammy winner Michael McDonald performed, followed by Steele himself. Just two songs into his set, Steele surprised the audience by introducing Billy Ray Cyrus, who performed "Achy Breaky Heart" and a bluesy version of "Amazing Grace."

But it was Steele who was shocked when Miley bounded out onto the stage, and asked if she could perform "Simple Song," originally recorded by Miley and the only song written by Steele that was on his son Alex's iPod when he passed away.

"When Jeffrey introduced Miley, all the kids who had been skating in the park next to the concert just rushed the stage," said an observer. "She was so full of energy, she just looked adorable. Jeffrey was clearly very touched by her appearance."

Miley then told Steele that her favorite song of his was "Hollywood Girl" and asked him to sing it with her. He said he would wing it because, "Miley might live in Hollywood, but in her heart, she'll always be our Tennessee girl."
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Ok I am a big nashville star fan. I loved it when it was on USA. I'm just not feeling it this season. I agree that they only real talent is Gabe and Melissa. I'm so disappointed I think I might was the bach/ette.... then again maybe not!

Quote Originally Posted by surviorwannabe;3102067;
    Ok I am a big nashville star fan. I loved it when it was on USA. I'm just not feeling it this season. I agree that they only real talent is Gabe and Melissa. I'm so disappointed I think I might was the bach/ette.... then again maybe not!

I agree Melissa is my fave and Gabe is good as well. But most of this talent pool sucks. Watching Sophie and Lauren was almost painful tonight. Has this show not heard of harmonies? All their groups acts voices don't seem to mesh.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Premium Member

well Laura and Sophie should have been eliminated IMO, Pearl Heart getting sent home instead was a mistake IMO.

Pearl Heart and the chick I don't like before who sang before them were two of the best for the night. Laura and Sophie should have gone and that will probably haunt them until next week when they probably go.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

July 07, 2008: The Top Seven

1. Melissa Lawson. I didn’t like this performance as much as This One’s For The Girls, but it was, for the most part, an accurate cover. I’m all for fingerprinting a song, but it’s a delicate balance; in this case, I think Melissa took too much artistic freedom and added way too runs. Danny’s Song is made memorable precisely because of its simple evocative lyrics and minimalist music; anything more is an excess. She connected no doubt, but I prefer Anne’s version.
    2. Shawn Meyer. Still can’t figure why John won’t give this kid her props. I loved what she tried to do with Rod Stewart’s The First Cut is the Deepest, a song about trying to love again after losing and barely surviving a previous relationship. Jeff asked her to play a part; to portray heartache; she did that; I believed her pain, her angst. No runs, low decibels, simple guitar licks; and honest, heart-felt emotion; a beautiful and moving performance.
    3. Gabe Garcia. I love what Keith Urban does with this song, especially in concert. Rock and R&B is my thing; not country, but Keith is a good singer, a brilliant composer, an energetic and first rate entertainer, and one of the best contemporary guitarists in all of music. I’ll gladly debate anyone who thinks otherwise. Gabe, on the other hand, is a good singer period, with none of Keith’s intangibles; he’s boring, stiff, awkward, and irreversibly introverted on stage. Jeff, John, and Jewel are excellent musicians, and I respect their opinions, but without a personality transplant and intensive image reconstruction, nobody’s going to drive two, three, four hours and pay hard-earned money to watch this kid sleepwalk through a performance. Superstardom is a phenomenon that requires much more than talent. Here’s something else I noticed. Keith Urban introduces Somebody like You with a perky, foot-tapping banjo and drum duet which are joined in the second verse first by bass and rhythm guitar, and finally by Keith’s signature lead electric guitar riffs (correct me if I got it wrong). Gabe appeared to be playing rhythm on an acoustic guitar; minimal to no contribution in my opinion; so I think his acoustic guitar is really just a security blanket to deal with an overwhelming stage fright.
    4. Ashley Hewitt. Steve Miller Band’s Take The Money and Run? For a delicate and pretty girly girl like Ashley? No way. Beauty and the Beast; Water and Oil. Not only is this a horrible composition with laughable lyrics, its a Bonnie & Clyde outlaw celebration; a stick em up/shoot em up over-flowing with testosterone; a totally masculine theme; a man’s song in every sense of the word (which is probably why John likes it). Steve Miller Band is not a collection of serious musicians but they are fun (I admit i like them too), but there’s not a more pronounced mismatch of artist and music than this song and Ashley Hewitt. Poor kid; she was clearly the victim of some horrible advice this week (John) and I hope it doesn't land her in the bottom two next week. The Steve Miller songbook is no place for a lady!
    5. Coffey. An energetic and entertaining version of Credence Clearwater Revival’s Proud Mary. If only I could merge Gabe’s vocal prowess with Coffey’s stage presence, I’d have the makings of a superstar. I love what he does on stage and his self-confidence, but have to agree with John on this one; “pay attention to the hand so you can’t hear the singing”. This performance was loaded with bad singing (off-key, flat, wrong notes, shouted lyrics, horrible phrasing, and lousy tone), not to mention pedestrian and noisy guitar riffs, but, he’s a firestorm of an entertainer; tailor made for television; dude is fun to watch, isn’t he? Gotta love him.
    6. Pearl Heart. A very entertaining and accurate cover of Garth Brooks’ silly, honkytonk, burned-into-my-brain, Ain’t Going Down til the Sun Comes Up. Too bad they saved their best for last. They actually looked and sounded like a contemporary country band tonight. Before this, they sounded more like a reincarnation of the Lennon Sisters. Don’t know who to credit, but somebody showed them the light.
    7. Laurie and Sophie. No, they aren’t very good, but they don’t deserve the scathing criticism and personal abuse they got from the judges tonight. Nashville Star is interactive programming; viewers decide who goes and who stays. If America is allowed to decide, then both we and the judges must respect her decision, even if we disagree. These two kids did nothing wrong; they broke no rules; and they should be treated with respect. To suggest they don’t belong, especially when the judges put them here, defies logic; the epitome of bias and foul play. John and Jewel owe these kids an apology.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 07-08-2008 at 04:39 AM.

Talent or lack thereof aside, what John Rich did to Laura & Sophie last night borders on child abuse. If he really wants them gone, he needs to employ the Simon Cowell technique of giving lukewarm praise. Anything other than that just riles the fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6;3116573;
    Talent or lack thereof aside, what John Rich did to Laura & Sophie last night borders on child abuse. If he really wants them gone, he needs to employ the Simon Cowell technique of giving lukewarm praise. Anything other than that just riles the fan base.
    The talent on this show is mediocre at best, but the judges put them on the show, and if nothing else they should respect the effort that these people are putting into their performances.

I've only been half-heartedly watching this season, but one thing I'm going to take away from the show is a deep and abiding dislike of John Rich.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723;3116658;
    The talent on this show is mediocre at best, but the judges put them on the show,
    According to John Rich NBC picked the talent.

Lawson was GREAT tonight

+ Reply to Thread