+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Baby Borrowers - NBC

Re: The Baby Borrowers - NBC

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3106189;
    How is it any different than putting kids in daycare everyday?
    I agree....my kids are in daycare...and they are just fine.....I love the idea of the show....and from the last episode it seems they are expected to work....pay rent...buy food.....Realistically how real can the show get with everyone freaking out about the babies being left with stranngers and the teens sleeping in the same bed....so some things wont be real life lessons.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3107511;
    I have seen enough Judge Judy, People's Court and other judge shows, that have a lot of cases of either the babysitter or the parent suing the other party. I am not that impressed with the credentials that these people have. It's a minimum wage job for the daycare center employees, they can't be that well qualified else no one could afford daycare.
    Well I do have a bit of experience with this because I used to work in a daycare. A person with no child experience ( and nowadays with no childcare degree) can just walk off the street and get a job in a daycare. If you work for a credible childcare center, you have to have certification and experience. Not to say that there aren't shady establishments out there, but parents do have a choice of picking a place that has employees who are certified to handle all kinds of situations that arise with children.

I do question the parents who are willing to leave their infants with these teens though. I just think traumatizing my baby to show a teenager a lesson isn't worth it for me. But it does give me some relief to know that nannies are on hand and the parents can intervene at anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by east_coastie;3108090;
    Well I do have a bit of experience with this because I used to work in a daycare. A person with no child experience ( and nowadays with no childcare degree) can just walk off the street and get a job in a daycare. If you work for a credible childcare center, you have to have certification and experience. Not to say that there aren't shady establishments out there, but parents do have a choice of picking a place that has employees who are certified to handle all kinds of situations that arise with children.

I do question the parents who are willing to leave their infants with these teens though. I just think traumatizing my baby to show a teenager a lesson isn't worth it for me. But it does give me some relief to know that nannies are on hand and the parents can intervene at anytime.
    Again though there are professional nannies on had just like a daycare with certified childcare providers...and when you first take a kid to daycare they would be like strangers....so are people saying it's traumatizing infants when they first start daycare....I mean the parents are right next door...I think some people are making a bigger deal out of it

Quote Originally Posted by smittyboise1;3108178;
    Again though there are professional nannies on had just like a daycare with certified childcare providers...and when you first take a kid to daycare they would be like strangers....so are people saying it's traumatizing infants when they first start daycare....I mean the parents are right next door...I think some people are making a bigger deal out of it
    It's not the fact they are strangers that is weird. Every person you meet is a stranger until you get to know them. I believe the issue that people have is that these infants are being put into the care of someone who does not have training. A person who is has no clue what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by east_coastie;3108275;
    It's not the fact they are strangers that is weird. Every person you meet is a stranger until you get to know them. I believe the issue that people have is that these infants are being put into the care of someone who does not have training. A person who is has no clue what they are doing.
    Unless I am mistaken everyone is at the beginning untrained in taking care of children we don't come out the womb as magically skilled parents. The proof is in how many messed up kids we have in the world. These kids are just as all first time parents are novices. I know some daycare workers who have never had kids and are better providers of childcare than the real parents.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3108576;
    Unless I am mistaken everyone is at the beginning untrained in taking care of children we don't come out the womb as magically skilled parents. The proof is in how many messed up kids we have in the world. These kids are just as all first time parents are novices. I know some daycare workers who have never had kids and are better providers of childcare than the real parents.
    Right.But I think the issue is that this show cannot be compared to dropping your kids off at daycare. Dropping your kids off at daycare and giving them to a bunch of teens ( who you expect to mess up) are two different issues. If the parents and show creators didn't expect these teens to make mistakes, there would be no show.

Quote Originally Posted by east_coastie;3109112;
    Right.But I think the issue is that this show cannot be compared to dropping your kids off at daycare. Dropping your kids off at daycare and giving them to a bunch of teens ( who you expect to mess up) are two different issues. If the parents and show creators didn't expect these teens to make mistakes, there would be no show.
    Well, what about teenagers babysitting their neighbors kids? I know I was asked to do that when I was a kid and I had no experience. I think most teenage babysitters don't have any experience when they start. Hopefully common sense guides them. I do know that Fairfax County, VA Rec Centers do offer classes in babysitting but the majority of kids babysitting do not have certs or any type of credentials except that they are willing to take care of a family's kids for a couple of hours that evening.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm sorry that I didn't explain my thoughts clearly enough on my first post in this thread. I'm not only talking about parents giving babies to the hands of strangers here although that's still a big issue for me. The parents I know are actually researching before giving their babies/kids to day care. They get to know the people, they go look at different day care centers, and get references and then decide. If they are not doing this, and give their babies to the first day care center they see around the corner, well, what can I say?

I also worry about babies/kids growing up in reality tv. This is their real life, and on tv, open to discussion, in front of everybody's eyes. The babies/kids will do things that will be remembered, that will be talked about. It's their life, it's their privacy, and they don't have a say in this. This is worrying to me.

I have stopped watching Jon and Kate plus 8, and I will not watch any reality show with babies/kids from now on. Since I don't watch this show regularly, I will not post here again. Sorry that I interrupted the fan's discussion on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3109919;
    Well, what about teenagers babysitting their neighbors kids? I know I was asked to do that when I was a kid and I had no experience. I think most teenage babysitters don't have any experience when they start. Hopefully common sense guides them. I do know that Fairfax County, VA Rec Centers do offer classes in babysitting but the majority of kids babysitting do not have certs or any type of credentials except that they are willing to take care of a family's kids for a couple of hours that evening.
    Typically, these parents know these teens. I too was a teenage babysitter back in my day. But I knew the parents, and they knew they could trust me whether I had babysitting experience or not. They didn't just show up at my house one day and ask me to watch their kid. I wonder though, if these teens had a chance to meet the family and child before watching them. Anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by east_coastie;3110393;
    Typically, these parents know these teens. I too was a teenage babysitter back in my day. But I knew the parents, and they knew they could trust me whether I had babysitting experience or not. They didn't just show up at my house one day and ask me to watch their kid. I wonder though, if these teens had a chance to meet the family and child before watching them. Anybody know?
    I think we are all forgetting there are PROFESSIONAL NANNIES in the house 24hours a day....who are there for the sole purpose of this being new to the teens....we all made mistakes when we first had kids...we all called our moms asking about every little thing...so saying these infants are traumatized for being in the care of teens cause there are inexperienced is a little drastic...we all have to start somewhere. When I had my first son...I didn't know how to burp a baby....It seems the show took every precaution for any emergencies....As the episode showed...all the kids came out just fine.

+ Reply to Thread