+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Can You Duet?

Premium Member

Can You Duet?

Did anyone watch this? It came on Monday night right after the CMT Video Awards show. It sounds like fun!

Can You Duet
    Friday Nights at 8/7c
    The producers of American Idol are teaming up with CMT to find the next great country music duo in the most original singing competition ever, Can You Duet.

Each contestant will compete as part of a duo, and viewers will witness first hand all the on and off-stage drama in creating a dynamic musical duo. In addition to critiquing each performance and deciding who will advance to the next round, the judges will serve as mentors to guide, groom and develop the duets along the way.
    CMT : Can You Duet : American Idol Producers Develop Country Music Duos : Singing Competition

Another article - they way they sometimes split up the duos in the auditions should make for some great TV.

CMT hopes 'Duet' reality show doubles the drama

By CINDY WATTS
    Staff Writer

When Bob Kusbit took over CMT's development department, he knew what he wanted: a competition show.

He got what he wanted with the record-setting success of John Rich's Gone Country, a series that pitted celebrities from outside country music against each other for a song on country radio. But Kusbit didn't stop there.

CMT plans to debut its latest reality competition series, Can You Duet, at 9:30 tonight after the broadcast of the 2008 CMT Music Awards. On Can You Duet, which is from the producers of American Idol, eight duos will compete over the 11-episode series for a recording contract with Sony BMG Nashville.

"Duets have a long, colorful history in country music," Kusbit said. "That was part of (why I liked this concept), and this was something that seemed to be rooted in country. The fact they are duets means they are more complicated the stories behind their music, the way they get along or don't get along, how their styles blend."

Kusbit thinks those complexities will make for great television. And just to ensure it, the show added another element. Some duos were severed during tryouts with one partner staying and pairing with another singer while the other half went home. Judge Aimee Mayo said the tryouts were so action-packed that her husband and country singer Kellie Pickler couldn't tear themselves away from the action long enough to eat lunch.

"They stayed for four hours because of everybody that comes in there," she said. "On American Idol they sing and they're told yes or no and then they leave, but on this thing they're coming in there and . . . a lot of the people we would say yes to one and no to the other. Then all heck would break loose. A guy almost hit a cameraman. We said yes to his wife, and he seemed so laid back and then he just went nuts. We thought he was going to hit his wife. He left her there at the Wildhorse (where they were having auditions.) He was screaming at everybody and that's just one. It was just one thing after another."

A portion of the tryouts will be broadcast during the series. But Kusbit said the competition is just as dramatic and is enhanced by extra footage of the contestants' daily and backstage activities.

"We keep saying it's double the drama, double the music, double the talent and it's so true," he said. "There's just a lot of interesting things going on behind the scenes that you never get to see on American Idol, but on this show the way it's set up they get to see that."
    TuneInMusicCity.com

Re: Can You Duet?

I watched it! Thought I was the only one *crickets*. I actually really liked it but I like most competition shows CMT puts on. I thought it was entertaining. Its very much a Country Idol though with the format and the judges "roles". I did like the splitting up of the duos and the singles room (in short, those who didn't have a partner went into one room and scouted for somebody to duet with them and then went up to the judges). I liked some of them but in true Idol fashion they focused mostly on the train wrecks. I'm looking forward to more of this show.

Premium Member

I recorded it but haven't watched yet. I also pretty much like all the CMT competitions. I'm glad to hear there's somebody else besides me.

I meant to watch it, but forgot. I'll have to check for repeat showings. Isn't Naomi Judd one of the judges? I've seen her judge singers before and she doesn't hesitate to say what she thinks.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Yeah, Naomi is one of the singers but to be honest? Her stiff face REALLY distracted me! She (and the other judges) were pretty spot on with their comments and that made it enjoyable....if you overlook the way her face doesn't move anymore.

Yay so there will be others watching. It's rough just commenting all by yourself on a show. LOL.

The second episode is on tonight in a few minutes. This last couple on the premiere episode is from Columbia Tn. where I went to college for a year. Very small town.

Dang it! My stupid DVR keeps not recording stuff. *sighs* well at least its CMT so you know that it will be repeated. Oh wait, I thought this came on Monday nights? I'm so confused.

I saw the tryouts on Saturday, and was very impressed with the judges, especially Aimee Mayo. It's refreshing to see that all three judges actually offer meaningful criticism and commentary. It looks like it'll be a good show. I also expect the outcome to be much better than the band competition that the AI folks had last summer - that show was ridiculous in that they believed that all bands should be a rock band, no matter what they really did, and the judges only knew how to judge them as rock bands. I think the narrower focus of this one will bring more success. The judges seem to know their stuff about country music, and judged people based on whether or not they fit that focus. There were clearly a couple of duos that were not interested in country music and they were told that they didn't suit this show.

I didn't realize this was on tonight. I haven't seen it since the first episode.

Premium Member

I'm recording it, so I'll watch later. I'm loving it so far, but I really, really wish Brett Manning would get that damn hair out of his eyes. What is the point of looking like a sheepdog?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast