+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blind Date - TNN

FORT Fogey

Blind Date - TNN

Let me admit right from the start that I have never seen this show until today. Let me also state unequivocally that I was desperate.

I like to work out on my elliptical machine and I need the stimulation of reality shows. I have seen a lot of films in the past and when the action slows down, so does my workout.

Therefore, certain reality shows are paced just right. However, these shows have to be of the tackier variety, never ever Survivor or TAR or even Fear Factor.

Blind Date is almost too annoying to work out with because the "sleaze factor" is so very high.

The premise is as follows: Men and women let themselves be screened and set up with partners for a blind date. The camera and sound person follows them around and we are the lucky voyeurs that get to see the results.

I have only seen two shows in this series and I think it's awful.

There was one imaginative segment called "The Friend's Zone" where the guy who is not moving in fast enough gets relegated to the black and white "Friend's Zone."

The majority of men are blatantly sexual. They put the moves on the women almost immediately with no finesse whatsoever. One guy licked his date's arm from inner wrist to elbow and kept insisting that she come home with him at the end of the date. He even grabbed a huge handful of her butt at the end. The women try to laugh it off but are embarrassed and rightfully so. It almost always end up where the women say "never again" and the guys remain clueless.

There are also those annoying "pop ups" that tell us what the individuals are thinking and what we should be thinking they're thinking. Don't get me started.

Last and least, the host's name is Roger Lodge. Oh please, do you have to insult us by leaving off the final 'r'?

I kind of like Blind Date, only because the pop-ups can be hilarious. I've never watched a complete episode, though.

FORT Fogey

Re: Blind Date - TNN

Originally posted by CaliGirl
    One guy licked his date's arm from inner wrist to elbow and kept insisting that she come home with him at the end of the date.
    Where was the guy from and where did this date take place? I was just watching Da Ali G Show and according to Borat Sagdiyev, Kazakhstan's sixth most famous man, this behavior is perfectly acceptable in some places.

LG.
    *sheepishly admits to having seen this show*
    *hides in shame*

you're absolutely right, CaliGirl. It is certainly not on par with quality reality tv dating shows, like Elimidate, Shipmates, Fifth Wheel, and that dreadful one where the ex-girlfriends watch the date and are talking into an earpiece worn by the their ex-BF's date. What is that disaster of the airwaves called, I can't remember, but it does have a rather famous hostess.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Fogey

Roger Lodge is not hot

posted by a red-faced lurkinggirl
    *sheepishly admits to having seen this show**hides in shame*
    Now I don't feel so bad that I set it up for recording again today. LOL.

I cannot think of the title you are looking for, LG, but if you find out let me know. I am up for anything you recommend since you have eclectic tastes like me and are clever enough to watch quality shows like "Six Feet Under."

I really kinda like this show. It's a little more realistic than Elimadate or Fifth Wheel. The producers probably will deny it, but sometinmes the dates are put together for pure comedy. But keep watching CaliGirl and lurkinggirl, they do actually try to match up some couples sometimes.

Since we are on this subject, does anyone know if the people on these shows have to bring thier own money ?? I have seen some cheap, cheap dates( walking on the beach, sharing a snowcone etc). I'm not saying there's anything wrong with these dates, but I would think there would have to be a budget for the episode, no???
    Headlines
    Iran says it shot down unmanned US spy plane.
    Lemonade recalled due to possibleglass fragments in Canada.
    Lindsay Lohan to join Celebrity Big Brother.

Anybody else need a dandelion break???

LG.
    Ok, CaliGirl - I've found it.
    EX-treme Dating
    30 min.
    A dater's exes eavesdrop and advise a new partner during their date. Host: Jillian Barberie. (VCR Plus+ 372663)

Category: Game Show & Contest
    It's pretty darn cheesy, and has Fox NFL coverage's Jillian Barberie. What more could you ask for in a reality tv dating show? Well, maybe Love Cruise's Toni . . .
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

LG.
    hey technomage - I think some of these shows are really low budget, but I do think the shows foot the bill. On Elimidate they go out bar hopping on every episode. Even primetime dating / reality shows have some very lame / inexpensive dates, like what passes for private dates on Meet My Folks. Having a picnic in the backyard? Oh please.

Before you all lose whatever respect (if any) you may have had for me, let me preface this by saying that where I live, Blind Date comes on during the wee, ungodly hours when the only other viewing choices for insomniacs without premium cable are Bowflex infomercials or, well, more Bowflex commercials. I've had major insomnia for some time, so I often find myself flipping the TV on, usually while I'm online or reading a book at the same time.

But enough with the excuses; I like Blind Date. I find it amusing in the horrible-moral-train-wreck-of-all-humanity-type way, because it's so over the top. It was also one of the first of the self-conscious dating show ilk, coming out before the rash of Elimidate, Shipmates, Fifth Wheel, etc. and so was the true innovator of the the snarky onscreen commentary. Even Change of Heart, after the success of Blind Date, changed it's format from Love Connection, post-date interview, to include voyeur-cam shots.

I think the pop-up box commentary is the best part of the show! It makes no bones about what the show is really about--laughing at, not with, the skank side-show freaks. My dream job (after restaurant reviewer and world-saving superhero) would be "Blind Date" Pop-Out Box Writer (oh yeah, reaching for the stars!). Nightmare job: hot tub cleaner.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

LG.
    Snowflake, there is no pride in viewership in this thread, to be sure. I think it is very funny show too. The pop up remind me of the scrolling comments on Shipmates, which are also quite funny at times. As is Chris Hardwick. Ahhh, Shipmates, I actually choose to watch that rather than PRIMETIME programming, as it's on at 9pm in my jurisdiction, whereas Blind Date is on at like 2 in the morning. A programming curse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast