+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Step It Up and Dance (Bravo)

Re: Step It Up and Dance (Bravo)

I read somewhere that some of them are established dancers. I've wondered why they are so old (for a dancer) and figured they have careers that have stalled out. Not so for some of them, some of them were simply recruited to give the show more credibility. Cody and Michelle are in Broadway shows while Nick owns his own studio and works in the film industry and Adriana is in a dance company. Rumor has it that Tova was also recruited.

The point of all that is this.....why aren't we seeing better dancing? The final dances are beautiful! I want to see more of that during the show itself. However, like most reality shows on Bravo they take a couple of seasons to really hit their stride. Season 2 (if there is one) will have the benefit of the show having more exposure which means better dancers and HOPEFULLY a new hostess!

I base this on shows such as Project Runway which was dreadful it's first season (I recently rented it and watched the whole thing and feel that the designers from last season would have destroyed the ones in season 1) and Top Chef (I love Harold but the rest of the group wasn't all that talented). Anyways, hopefully if there is a Season 2 it will go the route of the other Bravo reality shows and be better (although I still like this one just fine and its filling the void till SYTYCD starts)

Hmmm, interesting that there aren't any comments about last night's show. Has everyone given up?

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6;2948087;
    Hmmm, interesting that there aren't any comments about last night's show. Has everyone given up?
    I wasn't able to watch last night's episode. I saw Tovah get eliminated, but that's it. I'll catch it one of the 800 times it's re-run this week.

I have to agree with some of the comments about the talent level of some contestants. A number of them seem extremely weak outside their genre. It's much more obvious than on So You Think You Can Dance. Jessica was good in her own style, but in any other she looked like she was having an arrhythmic full body seizure. Her hip hop dancing was just embarrassing.

I was watching (was it?) VH1 this morning and they had an an episode of Hey Paula and there was Janelle auditioning for Paula. I don't think she got the job (I didn't see the rest of the episode). She's another one who isn't all that great outside her genre.

For me, this show is all about Cody. I feel like a pervy old lady for lusting after him, but there you have it. From age 5 to about age 18, I spent most of my time in a dance studio, so I have a weakness for men who can dance. I think Cody can definitely win the competition. He's extremely talented and charismatic. Plus, he's a hottie.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I don't normally get to watch shows the night they are on because I have to get up so early for work...thank goodness for DVR's!...so I just watched it this morning. All I can say is WOW the difference between the winning group and elimination group? Astronomical. The winning group are 100 million percent (to swipe Randy from AI's favorite quote) better. They were exciting, more in step, more able to feel the beat and translate it to their dance moves. Just really impressed with that group over all.....nice job.

The elimination group? Why is it that Janelle keeps winning challenges but then winds up in the elimination group? Hmmm....could it be that her only real dance move is the "female body part slam?" I just don't get the love for her the judges have and why she is still around. She is so out classed.

Story of my life when it comes to reality shows...my favorite gets eliminated *pouts*...but...I do agree that Tovah just seemed to have checked out. Her heart wasn't in it and you could tell. I think she just got so fed up with all the competitions (thus far) being so far out of her "technical" range that she didn't want to do it anymore. I'll miss her but my favorite has moved onto Michelle (who will be eliminated next cause that's the way it always goes for me)

I'd be ok with Cody winning, he reminds me of John Corbett (so I think he's cute) and he can dance. I'd be fine with Michelle or Miguel (other than that dang ego!) winning as well. I wouldn't like it if any of the others win.

PLEASE OPEN YOUR MINDS petite_indigo's Avatar

Well I have to agree with Tova. I waiting to see some amazing technical dancing and it hasn't happened yet. I'm trying to give this show the benifit of the doubt, but its hard for me to stay interested. I know that a lot of these other genres are what is popular and sells tickets but forgive me i want to see some ballet...give me a modern or lyrical challenge. Dance for the tv world has become limited to hip- hop and its counter parts... Sorry I want more This is frustrating !!
    squirrel please!!!!:nono

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

By looking at Miguel, I thought that he was about 40 years old. Only 24????
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

LOL!! I forgot that! I was SHOCKED to see his age because he just looks so old and greasy...not that looking old is bad but when your hair looks like grease will fly off it every time you shake your head? That's bad! Just don't get front row seats where he is dancing...or remember to wear a rain coat.

I actually hated Miguel the first time I saw him but he's sort of grown on me, mostly because he does have beautiful natural rhythm and I admire that since I don't haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6;2948087;
    I have. Just like the show "Make Me A Supermodel". I am not feeling this show. I think So You Think You Can Dance and Dancing With The Stars much better. This show needs some excitement to it. Maybe have them dance in front of a studio audience instead of just the judges.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Unfortunately, it's the studio audience, accompanied by the "call in and vote" folks who turn these things into popularity contests instead of what they really should be about. I think I'd prefer to see professionals evaluate the dancers to get rid of the goofy factors that make people vote for other people, when the voters may not really have a true understanding of what is going on...other than "he's cute" or "she's hot" or "she seems stuck up" or "he's arrogant".
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I agree. I actually got turned off DWTS for that very reason (well also because I didn't like one single celeb this season) but I'm rather sick of these shows that allow call in's becoming popularity contests to the point where the most talented does not win. Its what I like about this show.

I like this show much better than DWTS and although there are many thing I don't like about I also know that this network has a track record of not doing so well with its Freshman offerings and much better with its Sophomore offerings so looking forward to season 2 even before season 1 ends! LOL

Maybe a studio audience of peers who critiqued and had some influence over the judges scoring? But not an audience call in thing.

+ Reply to Thread