Closed Thread
Page 6 of 208 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon and Kate plus 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

Maybe one thinks differently about a "child's right to privacy" when overnight they have EIGHT mouths to feed and EIGHT children educate. Can you imagine college tuition for EIGHT?
    The Gosselins made the conscious decision to have multiple births, it wasn't an accident. They're not entitled to public tax money just because they chose to pay for artificial means to conceive multiples. As for college, as holly points out, not all kids will go to college or have it paid for by their parents. There are other means of financing additional education without the parents carrying the burden.

I would MUCH rather they make their money by allowing cameras into THEIR home and THEIR lives vs MY taxes going up to pay the welfare tab!
    If you live in Pennsylvania, your taxes have already been spent to help the Gosselins, during the first year when they received aid for caring for the babies.

There's nothing wrong with what the Gosselins are doing, they have not 'sold out their children'. Sheesh! They're good parents, they provide for their kids, you may not agree with the way they are bringing money into the house but at least they are doing it. I actually find some of the venom and lack of understanding in this thread shocking. You'd think that they sent their kids to a labour camp, not just let cameras into the house.
    As far as Maddy's behaviour, she slams doors and melts down whether she's at home or in public, it doesn't matter to her. Hopefully that behaviour disappears with time.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;2859570;
    If you live in Pennsylvania, your taxes have already been spent to help the Gosselins, during the first year when they received aid for caring for the babies.
    I wasn't aware that Pennsylvania had socialized medicine for the upper working class.

FORT Fogey

I wasn't aware that Pennsylvania had socialized medicine for the upper working class.
    Pennsylvania doesn't have socialized medicine, but it does have Medicaid, and that's the assistance the Gosselins recieved in 2005, as described in the article. Note the numerous responses from readers following the article regarding Kate's "society has a responsibility" comment.

Mother Of Sextuplets Faces Loss Of Medicaid-Funded Nurse (Society has a responsibility, says Mom)

I actually find some of the venom and lack of understanding in this thread shocking.
    There are millions of viewers of this show, and that means there will be a variety of opinions about what the Gosselins are doing. I think that's normal.

FORT Fogey

What are the odds that her comment "society has a responsibility to help with the children" was cut short and maybe out of context?

A Berks County woman with year-old sextuplets and 4-year-old twins will appeal for continued nursing help from Medicaid beyond a one-year cutoff. Medicaid provides the temporary nursing support for premature babies
    Sounds like ANYONE that has A premature child gets the help. She had SIX. All she was asking for was help beyond the NORMAL first year. She was asking for FREE food, clothing and shelter. Just one nurse to stay a bit longer then the one year.

Yeah call her a free loader

FORT Fogey

Yeah call her a free loader
    That's exactly what she was doing.

Kate Gosselin said she feels society has a responsibility to help with the children, since modern medicine promotes the use of fertility drugs, which can lead to multiple births.
    As one of the readers posted: "Hostess promotes Twinkies, but they're not liable for my butt." And another: "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

The Gosselins paid for those fertility treatments, which are not cheap, so they could afford to spend money on an expensive procedure that they chose to do, but when it was time to take responsibility for the choice they made, they whine that society OWES them for making that choice. Unbelievable!!

The article also cites the "streams of volunteers" that came to help the Gosselins. Volunteers = free labor.

According to Websters, a freeloader: "imposes upon another's generosity or hospitality without sharing in the cost or responsibility involved: "sponge."

Expecting tax payers to support her decision to have multiples, getting plenty of free labor. Yeah, that sounds like a free loader to me too!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;2860421;
    The Gosselins paid for those fertility treatments, which are not cheap, so they could afford to spend money on an expensive procedure that they chose to do, but when it was time to take responsibility for the choice they made, they whine that society OWES them for making that choice. Unbelievable!!
    I actually don't know--did they say they paid for the IVF treatments? Their insurance actually may have covered the fertility treatments. I'm curious as to why the doctor put so many embryos back into her. Her situation turned out OK, but most women do not fare well carrying that many children...and many sextuplets do not survive. Many IVF doctors will have the couple sign a contract that specifies how many embryos the doctor can put in the uterus--and most doctors will discourage putting back more than 3 due to the survival rates.

I cant really blame them for accepting the help but have the Gosselins ever given back? They are paid to tell their story, paid to be filmed and at the same time taking any freebies they can get their hands on. Maybe I'm wrong but I have never seen any indication that this family gives back to their community other than allowing them to come to their house and fold their laundry.

FORT Fogey

I actually don't know--did they say they paid for the IVF treatments? Their insurance actually may have covered the fertility treatments.
    I don't know what kind of insurance would pay for a second series of fertility treatments, when the parents already have twins that resulted from a previous series of fertility treatments. When I was on my employer's HR committee to review prospective renewal plans, the few that allowed fertility treatments were very narrow in their eligibility requirements and the additional expense for choosing that option would be daunting to most employers.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;2860558;
    I don't know what kind of insurance would pay for a second series of fertility treatments, when the parents already have twins that resulted from a previous series of fertility treatments. When I was on my employer's HR committee to review prospective renewal plans, the few that allowed fertility treatments were very narrow in their eligibility requirements and the additional expense for choosing that option would be daunting to most employers.
    My friends work for the government. Their salaries were lower than what people were making in non government jobs but their insurance and 401k was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. They always said their health care package and their retirement packages made up for their lower salaries. Anyhow, they had twins (with fertility treatment) and then needed fertility treatment again to have their third child (second pregnancy). Their insurance covered most of the treatment and much of the medicines involved. But again, their doctor refused to put more than 3 embryos into the uterus (and actually my friends chose to put a maximum of 2 back each time--the first pregnancy resulted in twins; the second pregnancy resulted in just one child). If my friends had sextuplets the first time, maybe their insurance wouldn't have covered a second IVF treatment...but their insurance did cover it after the first set of twins. So I'm just saying. I have no idea what Jon's insurance covered. Was Kate working a a nurse during her first pregnancy? Maybe she had insurance, too.

Closed Thread