Closed Thread
Page 5 of 208 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon and Kate plus 8

Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;2851161;
    I disagree. Kate announced on national TV about the offer of Christmas gifts to the kids from total strangers who watch the show and e-mailed her about sending them. If she really did give some or all of those donated gifts to charity instead of to the kids, it would have been just as appropriate to say that on national TV as well. Otherwise they would be misrepresenting what happened to the gifts, leaving the impression the kids received all the donated gifts when they really didn't.

The Gosselins put their lives on display for everyone to see. In fact, Kate has said on the show that they wanted the show to be a way for people to "peek in their windows" to see how they live because so many had expressed interest in how they were doing with the kids. In the episode where they answer e-mailed questions from viewers, Kate said the show accurately represents who they are and what they do, that they don't try to change anything just for the cameras. So no one forced them to do a TV show about their daily lives, they willingly signed a contract with TLC and were compensated. If Kate wants to tell the audience what they do is none of their business, then don't put it on TV.

Just because they allow folks to "peek through their windows" doesn't give a person the right to knowledge of all they do as a family. Peek through the window doesn't mean rifle through my undies

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2853612;
    I LOVE peeking in their windows. I'm thrilled to see their day to day lives,their coping mechanisims and the family interaction. It's exactly why I watch the show.

I don't see Kate or Jon complaining about the cameras or saying I wish they would go away, or I wish people would stop bothering us. She's just like the rest of us, she knows that she'd want to peek in the windows, it's the exact reason that she showed us her 'after baby' belly.
    I don't begrudge them anything they have or anything they earn through the tv show or their speaking engagements.
    These are not the 'fame whores' we are used to seeing on reality tv. I'm not trying to say that their motives are altruistic. They are using their family as a source of income. That's pretty resourceful.
    They have managed to turn their family situation into an opportunity. The children are home, being raised by at least one parent, they live comfortably and on top of all of that they get their 15 minutes of fame. Isn't that the new American Dream?
    Why are those of you who feel the children are being put on display like a zoo exhibit watching?
    no viewers = no tv show = 'normal life' for the Gosselins.
    You're exactly right. No tv show = normal life...struggle struggle struggle, just like the rest of us! Jon said in an interview that he liked the cameras around and that he enjoyed the company. Kate said she did not like the cameras or the extra people around. Maybe Jon feels he has someone to turn to when he is being belittled by his wife. He probably looks at the camera-man, soundman and producer with that "help me" look on his face!

FORT Fogey

Why are those of you who feel the children are being put on display like a zoo exhibit watching?
    Why not? Whether or not I watch isn't going to affect what TLC decides about their programming. It's not like I'm leading a boycott crusade to force TLC to cancel the show, they can do what they want. And so can I.

Just because they allow folks to "peek through their windows" doesn't give a person the right to knowledge of all they do as a family. Peek through the window doesn't mean rifle through my undies
    The original question was, "why it is anyone's business what she [Kate] gets and what she does with it?" (referring to the Christmas gifts from viewers). Whatever appears on the show has been put into the public domain and therefore becomes fair game to comment on it. Everything that's been discussed here has appeared on the show, so no one is invading their privacy ("rifling thru the undies"). In fact, they've even discussed their undies on the show! Kate mentioned that the volunteer who comes in to fold their laundry bought Jon some new undies for Christmas because she thought he needed them (which ... ewwww!!). Talk about rifling the undies!

He probably looks at the camera-man, soundman and producer with that "help me" look on his face!
    I'm pretty sure I recognized that look on several occasions!

FORT Newbie

I read on another site that they are building their new home and their current house is still for sale.

FORT Fogey

Kate has said she wished she had a house with a couple of acres so the kids could have plenty of room to play. In this week's episode, J&K are shown house hunting, and the two properties they visit include some acreage (don't remember how much). One in particular had a large pond near the house--not what I'd want if I had 6 kids under 5 years old!! If they're now building a house, they apparently didn't choose the property with the pond!

Kate did mention one of the properties they were visiting was close to Beth's, so I wonder if the land they purchased to build the house is also in that area. Now that Jon is working for Beth's husband, living nearby would allow him even more time at home!

With the housing market in such dismal condition, having to pay a mortgage for a house that could be for sale for several months, and obtaining a construction loan to build another house is a huge financial strain. How do they do it??

FORT Newbie

Evidently doing speaking engagements and having a reality show is very lucrative.

FORT Fanatic

Considering I'd jump at the chance to improve the futures of my children I can't condemn Jon & Kate for doing the same. It's obvious the kids are too young to understand the implications of being on tv and look upon the crew as their friends. They've also shown in a few episodes that the kids love watching the tv show. So why shouldn't J&K grab the presented opportunity, milk it, and ensure all 8 of their children will have a financially stable childhood?

FORT Fogey

Evidently doing speaking engagements and having a reality show is very lucrative.
    Speaking of lucrative, don't forget the upcoming book, due out this November, which is co-authored by Kate and Beth. There was probably a nice advance from the publisher, and then there will be royalties...

Zondervan - Multiple Blessings - Kate Gosselin, Beth Carson,

So why shouldn't J&K grab the presented opportunity, milk it,
    Oh, I don't think there's any doubt the Gosselins are milking the show for every freebie and speaking engagement they can get as a result of their appearance on this show. The show provides, and it also takes away: that is, it takes away their children's right to privacy, the right live a normal life without being followed by cameras and having even the most private bodily functions (potty training) filmed. Kate has said on the show that they have been filming pretty much constantly except for a few weeks here and there since the sextuplets were 15 months old. So they've never known anything but TV cameras and filming from their earliest memories.

However, Cara and Mady do remember a time when they had a normal family life, and I think showing the meltdowns we've seen from Mady, shoving the camera away, slamming doors during a tantrum, is unfair to her. When a kid is having a tough time with something, they deserve private time with the parent to work it out, rather than being followed around with a camera. I sometimes wonder if the long-term presence of the cameras may have contributed to feelings of resentment from Mady and Cara toward the little ones because they are the reason for the cameras. No one was interested in filming their lives until they arrived. I don't see it as a healthy situation for either the twins or the little ones.

I guess I value a child's right to privacy too much to sell them out for the sake of an easy pay check. But that's just me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;2857758;
    I guess I value a child's right to privacy too much to sell them out for the sake of an easy pay check. But that's just me.
    Maybe one thinks differently about a "child's right to privacy" when overnight they have EIGHT mouths to feed and EIGHT children educate.
    Can you imagine college tuition for EIGHT?

I would MUCH rather they make their money by allowing cameras into THEIR home and THEIR lives vs MY taxes going up to pay the welfare tab!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2858483;
    Maybe one thinks differently about a "child's right to privacy" when overnight they have EIGHT mouths to feed and EIGHT children educate.
    Can you imagine college tuition for EIGHT?
    I was thinking of the more immediate expenses like diapers, formula, food & clothing! Not everyone goes to college, & not everyone who goes has it paid for by their parents. A lot of kids pay their own way.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Closed Thread