Closed Thread
Page 3 of 208 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon and Kate plus 8

Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

The way Cara and Mady act is how my older brother did. He was king of the hill til my twin brother and I arrived. Then a year later there was another set of twins. He was and still is absolutely horrid. Physically abusive and verbally, to us and our parents. I am in my fifties now but he is still the same to the family.
    I love this show. I can relate to a lot of it.
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2842834;
    Wow. I didn't see that episode.

One of my friends and her husband had a baby right around 9/11...when they sent out the birth announcement, they wrote a little note to everyone saying that they were so blessed when so many had to do without--and that no presents were necessary...but if we wanted to do something, to please make a donation to whichever charity we liked in their son's name. I liked that. I think I'd like to do something similar if we ever have a baby...
    You and your friends both have the right idea Lois. There is no good reason why families and children in this country need to be without the basic human needs when others have more than they could ever need. The Gosselins like to stress their Christian values on this show and I'd like to see them actually apply that to their lives and what they're teaching those children
    CYA

FORT Fogey

I had a huge problem with the Christmas episode when Kate said that so many fans wrote to her wanting to send the children gifts. I expected her response to be something along the lines of "Thank You for thinking of us but our kids will be receiving plenty, why don't you make a donation to a child or family who has nothing"...Nope, her response was "Who am I to deny them"?
    I think this is the point where the show started to go downhill for me. As much as I've enjoyed watching the sextuplets grow up, they're all so adorable, I really disliked the tone of that "Who am I to deny them?" response from Kate. Who indeed. They have a web site and they could have easily posted a message thanking people for their offers of gifts and asking them to donate instead to a charity because not all children are as fortunate as the Gosselins' to receive so much. I hope for the kids' sake that the gifts they accepted were not sent to the house but perhaps to the production company address so the packages could be checked for safety purposes before they went to the kids. Giving strangers your home address so your kids can receive presents from them is just creepy to me.

I'm also concerned about using the kids as income generators for the family. In recent episodes Jon has said he's working for a family friend so he can be with the kids more hours during the day. He apparently has lots of flexibiity since he was able to take time off to go on the Utah trip. How can someone with 8 children work an essentially part-time job and support his family when his wife is a SAHM, and apparently look for a bigger home than the one they just purchased.

The constant stress of having cameras and production staff filming daily life has to have an impact on the kids, and while some of Mady's behavior can be explained away as typical for her age, I'm not sure that's true for all of it. I also think little ones often copy what they see their older siblings do, so when Mady has a tantrum or shoves or slaps one of the little ones, her behavior becomes a model for the littles ones to copy, and we have seen them scream, cry, push and shove each other. Although in the last episode, Leah says after being pushed (I don't remember by whom), "we don't push!" So cute. I certainly don't have any professional credentials to determine cause and effect as far as what the filming may be contributing to this behavior, but I do wonder about it.

I would be satisfied with a yearly update special to see how the kids are doing and know that most of the time they are just living normal family life rather than being subjected to so much filming for a series.

Quote Originally Posted by val123elephant;2843658;
    The way Cara and Mady act is how my older brother did. He was king of the hill til my twin brother and I arrived. Then a year later there was another set of twins. He was and still is absolutely horrid. Physically abusive and verbally, to us and our parents. I am in my fifties now but he is still the same to the family.
    I love this show. I can relate to a lot of it.
    Two sets of twins in two years! God Bless your mother!

I noticed on their web-site their speaking schedule is booked each weekend and they travel long distances. I doubt that they travel with all 8 kids, whose watching these kids? I'm sure they are paid very well for these speaking engagements and of course they're raking in the bucks for the reality show. Their expenses are high....Cara and Mady attend private school, nanny(s) on the weekends, new furniture, trips, lavish birthday parties etc....they live quite well for Jon working part time. I'm sure they are paid more in one season than my husband and I earn in an entire year. If the sextuplets attend private school, they will have 8 tuitions to pay!

FORT Fogey

I'm not sure their expenses are all that high due to the amount of freebies they're getting for product placement. I read somewhere that they're not paying the tuition for the twins, so it was either donated or the school gave them a scholarship. The trips are paid for by the production company, they said the house in Utah was free, the ski clothes/equipment for the kids was free (product placement). The activities like Tumblebees, the cooking school are basically ads for those businesses so more product placement. The new piano they received in the last episode was donated. It does appear they purchased the violin for Mady.

When Discovery Health did the one-hour special on the birth and first year of the Gosselin sextuplets, it seemed much more like a real-life depiction of what they're lives were like making a transition from a family of 4 to a family of 10 virtually overnight. Now it's become less about an ordinary family dealing with extraordinary circumstances, but manufactured adventures that aren't reality for most average families. How many families do you know that can take a cross-country trip to an expensive ski resort? Yes, the house was donated, but there's also air fare, ground transportation, food, etc. that would make the total cost out of range for most families. Ditto on the trip to Disney World.

Jon clearly doesn't have a job that can provide for his family; it's their contract with TLC that brings in the money and the freebies, as well as the "offerings" they receive from their church speaking engagements (which they wouldn't have if it weren't for their appearance on the show). Plus, their web site indicates they'll have a book coming out soon. And people watch the show, or will buy their book, because they're interested in the kids' lives. I doubt there would be much of an audience to watch/read about only Jon and Kate. No kids, no show, no income. To me, it's a form of selling and profiting from your kids' lives. I know some will argue that they should take whatever they can get to care for their family, but the kids have no say in the choices their parents are making that affect their lives. I'd like to think this series will end soon so the kids can have a normal life without the cameras, but I'm afraid the parents will want to ride this gravy train as far as they can take it.

[Quote] Jon and Kate talk about family
    Faith helps the couple raise twins and sextuplets.
    By CHRIS KELLY
    For the Daily Record/Sunday News

Article Last Updated: 03/16/2008 07:03:29 AM EDT

Click photo to enlargeJon and Kate Gosselin, from the television series... (Daily Record/Sunday News - Brett Berwager)«1»Jon and Kate Gosselin, stars of The Learning Channel and Discovery Health television series "Jon and Kate Plus 8," say faith has helped them raise their eight children.

The couple visited the Nicarry Meetinghouse at Cross Keys Village/The Brethren Home Community to talk about how they got through the tough times in life: Through God and God alone, they said.

The lecture was a first for the Good Samaritan Club Speaker Series, which seeks to raise money to help those who can no longer pay for their own care. Tickets cost $10, which benefited the Good Samaritan Fund, established to help with uncompensated care at Cross Keys Village.

The show centers on the Gosselins and their lives with 7-year-old twin girls, Madelyn and Cara, and 3-year-old sextuplets, three boys -- Aaden, Collin and Joel -- and three girls -- Alexis, Hannah and Leah -- in their southeast Pennsylvania home.

Although the show looks like they always have a great time, it isn't quite like that, Kate admitted to a sold-out audience of 350 people.

The trouble began in November 2003, the week before Thanksgiving, when they went to the doctor to see about Kate's pregnancy. To their surprise, it wasn't one baby Kate was carrying, it was six.

Kate said they had only planned to have one child, but that wasn't what God wanted for them.

"I would still like to know what it would be like to have one child," Jon joked.

The sextuplets brought many problems for them, she said.

Jon lost his job after applying for health-care coverage where he worked because his employer would not be able to afford it, they said.
    Kate said Jon became a "single parent with a blob," implying she was so big she couldn't do anything but eat and sleep.

She quit her job because of the pregnancy and the family went from a young two-child family with two incomes to a 10-person family with no income.

But during the rough times, Kate said, she used to place Bible verses in her home to lift their spirits.

Kate gave birth to six healthy children and, over time, about 50 volunteers had come to help the family.

Then Jon got a government job in Harrisburg.

"God has blessed us," she said.

After hearing about a family having sextuplets -- they are the 10th, chronologically, out of 14 nationwide -- and twins, they were approached about a documentary. That turned into the show.

Since April of last year, three seasons have aired and a fourth is expected.[Quote]

I found this article about a local speech the Gosselins gave in Adams County
    which helps answer some questions.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

re: the Christmas gifts, I understand what you're saying but the people wishing to buy the kids gifts were people that felt connected to the children they weren't buying just for the sake of buying. Telling the 'fans' to give to charity instead could be insulting.

re: Kate's cleaning OCD... she's a nurse. Control and organization... do it or be damned. It's not easy to run a houseful of kids successfully.
    I guess I'm defending Kate because we share many of the same traits
    She has the patience of Job. I'm not sure how I'd fair with my house full of daycare kids 24/7. I NEED the break that the weekend brings.
    As far as showing the day to day... this is what their day to day has become. I love the show and I watch it when I can, my husband will even peek in at it once in a while. The kids are adorable, in my house Maddy and Alexis would be on behaviour management programs
    I have to say that Colin's personality appeals to me most.
    I'm not the mom, I can have favourites if I want to
    It's great that the TV show has offered this family so many opportunities, I'd hate to think where they'd be without them and I don't begrudge them one ounce of their success or benefit.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey

the people wishing to buy the kids gifts were people that felt connected to the children they weren't buying just for the sake of buying. Telling the 'fans' to give to charity instead could be insulting.
    I understand some viewers may feel "connected" to the kids but they're really not: they're not family, not family friends, they're total strangers to this family. I'm not saying anyone who felt motivated to give gifts has to be misguided, I just believe the parents should never feel obligated to accept gifts from strangers just because they want to send them. Since the Gosselins have made a point of following a particular religious path, I think they should practice the tenets of that faith by setting an example to their kids, which is acknowledging that they have been fortunate to receive so much and they should give to those who have not been so fortunate. And I can't believe anyone would be offended by a politely worded message from the Gosselins expressing their sincere appreciation for their thoughtfulness but encouraging donations to charities that will help those much less fortunate than they have been. Who would begrudge helping truly needy children??

It's great that the TV show has offered this family so many opportunities, I'd hate to think where they'd be without them
    They might be in a more realistic place than they are now. The TLC contract and freebies have provided a lifestyle they couldn't possibly maintain in the real world. When those go away, where will they be? In a house they can't afford to maintain because Jon's job doesn't pay enough to cover the expenses.

From the article:

Jon got a government job in Harrisburg
    According to what Jon and Kate said in a recent episode, Jon has left that job and now works for a family friend. He's able to be home by 3:00 pm to spend more time with the family.
    Tickets cost $10, which benefited the Good Samaritan Fund,
    On another board someone who attended one of the Gosselin's church speaking engagements said that when they finished talking, a collection was taken ("love offering") to give to the Gosselins. She said it was a SRO event and she saw quite a bit of money in the plate. She said they did 3 engagements, all to a packed audience, and the collection was done for each one. So while they don't receive the proceeds of the tickets sold for the fund raising, they do receive "love offerings."

Geez sometimes the most outwardly Christians practice Christianity the least! "Love offerings" give me a break!!!! Me Me Me it's all about me! Give me more more more! That's the Gosselin motto!

Closed Thread