Closed Thread
Page 208 of 208 FirstFirst ... 108158198199200201202203204205206207208
Results 2,071 to 2,077 of 2077

Thread: Jon and Kate plus 8

  1. #2071
    FORT Fogey girlsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,165

    Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3129802;
    I think that when it comes to this sort of reality TV, shows generate more chatter (which translates to more viewers) when viewers watch thinking "Thank God I'm not like that!" as opposed to thinking "I'd like to be more like that". It is a more humane version of the old adolescent girl "I'm going to cut you down so I feel better about me". There's a whole line of shows which present themselves as ways to improve -- Supernanny, Wife Swap, What Not to Wear, etc -- where the conversation point and the memorable part for many viewers is saying "Thank God I'm not that bad!" Yes, it feels good to see the participants feeling better about life after going through the process, and we can all pick up some useful advice along the way. But I think that the conversation point of these shows is usually "Did you see how awful that was!" rather than "That's a really great way to get your children to go to sleep, I'm going to try it".

    I started watching Jon and Kate because of chatter I heard from friends and acquaintances of mine who watched it. That chatter focused much more on the "I can't believe they did/said that" than it did the "I get a warm fuzzy feeling from seeing that much love". So much of a cable audience is built on word of mouth that I think that's why TLC is smart enough to recognize that the "I can't believe they did that" is what works the best.

    I wonder if the root of the difference of opinion is that some, myself included, do not expect the typical "reality" show from TLC. I did not expect a love fest and appreciated the difficulties of raising so many kids. We expected more of a genuine look into the way that this family coped with having 6 babies at one time. The problem to me is that I don't see an imperfect family, I see a dysfunctional family, there's a difference. I in no way am interested in see another twisted dyfunctional family. Be that as it may, I think you and I disagree again on the validity of the portrait of this family that we see. The little kids are not acting, so I would expect to see them pretty much as they are. If you're suggesting that Kate is harassing and insulting her husband in front of the camera just for the sake of the SHOW, then I could accept that a tad more. TLC has many shows which I've always felt are FAR more accurate than other network reality shows.
    So, Am I correct in assuming that you watch the Kate and Jon side show for snark appeal, ala' the Bachelor? Also, again, I ask. . .Any reports on new shows post the cupcake show? Thanks



    Also SMILES: I'd lilke to see some marriage counciling sessions too. Unlike some I'd like TLC to count for some true learning and insight vs. the typical humiliation of other network's reality t.v. offerings.

  2. #2072
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    30

    Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

    Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3130025;
    I wonder if the root of the difference of opinion is that some, myself included, do not expect the typical "reality" show from TLC. I did not expect a love fest and appreciated the difficulties of raising so many kids. We expected more of a genuine look into the way that this family coped with having 6 babies at one time. The problem to me is that I don't see an imperfect family, I see a dysfunctional family, there's a difference. I in no way am interested in see another twisted dyfunctional family. Be that as it may, I think you and I disagree again on the validity of the portrait of this family that we see. The little kids are not acting, so I would expect to see them pretty much as they are. If you're suggesting that Kate is harassing and insulting her husband in front of the camera just for the sake of the SHOW, then I could accept that a tad more. TLC has many shows which I've always felt are FAR more accurate than other network reality shows.
    So, Am I correct in assuming that you watch the Kate and Jon side show for snark appeal, ala' the Bachelor? Also, again, I ask. . .Any reports on new shows post the cupcake show? Thanks



    Also SMILES: I'd lilke to see some marriage counciling sessions too. Unlike some I'd like TLC to count for some true learning and insight vs. the typical humiliation of other network's reality t.v. offerings.
    I agree. The Roloffs are portrayed in a manner that seems like a typical family..they argue , the house is sometimes messy etc. It doesn't feel staged, IMO. J&K feels very staged now and there is the element of meaness that makes me somewhat uncomfortable.

  3. #2073
    FORT Fan LocaCola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    174

    Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

    Quote Originally Posted by LordyBe!!;3128256;
    Seriously, I have never seen children cry so much when they were being put in a vehicle to go away in all my life.

    Collin and the constipation was VERY disturbing to say the least! And this woman is/was a nurse? OMG! It should of been her removing his bowel movement and not John, she is the qualified nurse for gods sakes.

    Constipation is serious and can lead to fecal impaction which can be deadly if not treated. Also, the vagus nerve is up there which if you do not know what your doing will cause heart irregularities and possible stroke. Did she forget what she learned in nursing school?


    I'm stunned.
    I am as well. Maybe if she didn't shove all that juice down the kids throats 24/7, he wouldn't have been so constipated in the first place.

    Quote Originally Posted by win-place-show;3128563;
    When you r kids are CONSTANTLY crying, screeching and yelling for attention, that is a sign. A big one.
    ITA. Time to get off your duff and play with your kids!

  4. #2074
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

    Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3130025;
    So, Am I correct in assuming that you watch the Kate and Jon side show for snark appeal, ala' the Bachelor? Also, again, I ask. . .Any reports on new shows post the cupcake show? Thanks

    Also SMILES: I'd lilke to see some marriage counciling sessions too. Unlike some I'd like TLC to count for some true learning and insight vs. the typical humiliation of other network's reality t.v. offerings.
    I watch the show for entertainment -- I'm not really seeking snark, just an entertaining way to pass a half hour. My first interest in the show came when I found out that my church will be bringing them in next year, and someone on staff was telling me what an uproar that had created with avid fans calling on a weekly basis to find out when they could get tickets. From there, I heard several friends talking about how they love watching the show for a variety of reasons.

    I'm drawn to a lot of reality TV simply because I enjoy watching people. I love sitting in an airport, just observing people, and creating stories for them in my head. I listened to hours of the Monica Lewinsky / Linda Tripp tapes on C-Span, and was fascinated, not because of anyting scandalous or political, but because I was intrigued to hear what two normal people talk about hour after hour. For me, Jon and Kate serves that sort of entertainment / watching people aspect. I watched the early seasons of the Real World for much the same reasons. I'm somewhat indifferent to their behavior - some things I like, some things I don't. But at the end of the day (or episode really) I'm entertained, and that's good enough for me.

  5. #2075
    addicted MamaC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,499

    Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

    Quote Originally Posted by smiles33;3130023;
    I HAD to delurk when I saw that quote by PugMum. I know you are an ardent Kate supporter, but you really haven't seen Jodi doing crafts/activities with the tups at her kitchen table?

    She helped them bake (I think they made some sort of lollipops?) and some other crafts at the table with the kids and Kate even commented on it once (I think). Jodi really tries to have fun stuff planned when they're at her house. Jodi has also been filmed cuddling the sick ones (when she said she was uncomfortable with vomit but did it anyway), and being a total sweetheart. I'm definitely a HUGE Jodi supporter. If you watch the show regularly, how can you have missed that unless you're deliberately ignoring the sweetness of Jodi in comparison?

    To sum up my views on this show:

    - I think she can be incredibly disrespectful and sometimes cruel to Jon, but he does sometimes provoke her. His behavior/tone can be petulant and he strikes me as someone who doesn't really take the initiative to help. Sort of like the stereotypical man who hangs out until the wife nags him to do something that has to be done. He is almost like a 9th child (which Kate has called him a few times) because she has to point out to him what needs to be done and then she gets exasperated because she doesn't feel like she can rely on him. So I don't place all the blame on Kate.

    - The kids are adorable and generally well-behaved. I do wonder if there are developmental delays as the tups are not as articulate and patient as other 4 year olds I've interacted with, but I think that's understandable given the limited one-on-one time that they've had. I worry about Hannah (who is a clinger and gets way too much attention) as well as the boys, who seem a bit neglected compared to the girls. Mady seems to be much improved in the last few episodes, so I'm glad to see that.
    Welcome, Smiles! I just wanted to comment on some of the thing you have posted above.

    I, too, have seen Jodi being very hands on with the Gosselin kids. I have also seen them all playing dress up in her kids' room and totally messing them up while playing in there. (Yes, it is natural to make a mess of a room!) I have never heard Jodi freaking out because of what they did. Even when they put a hole in her wall! Yikes! I have also seen Jodi taking them into the bathroom and using the real toilet and not a potty chair. They have also sat in regular dining chairs, not high chairs, at Jodi's. She treats them as the 3 or 4 year olds that they are, not like babies.

    As far as Jon, I still like him. I just wish he would grow a pair and tell Kate to lighten up. Jon is the one who gets up in the mornings with the kids while Kate sleeps. On one show, Jon said that Kate now sleeps until 7:20 and the twins' bus comes at 7:30. Kate makes the girls' lunches and they still have trouble getting out the door to catch the bus. They both commented that the bus still will wait until the girls are ready. Why doesn't someone make the lunches the night before? Jon was the one who cared for Joel (I think) when he was relegated to the cold floor of the laundry room when he was sick. Jon was the one who had to "help" Collin when he was constipated. Jon is the one who is loading up the kids into the van while Kate watches and bellows out orders. Then it is Jon who has to go back into the house or garage to fetch things that Kate has forgotten. She has two legs, she can certainly get her own stuff the SHE forgot to bring into the car.

    I think Kate nags on Jon to do things because she expects/wants everything to be done HER way or it is not being done correctly. (Nap-gate when Jon wanted to set up the boys' bunks, but Kate said that he couldn't because it was naptime.)

    I, too, think the tups should be evaluated for developmental issues, particularly their language, small and gross motor skills. Their whining, crying, hitting, biting, etc., should be waning, but I agree that it is probably due to not getting enough one-on-one time. If the tups went to preschool when they were three (and I have seen no indication that they did) these issues would have been addressed in a preschool setting. I still wonder if they will be going to a preschool this season as they are now four years old. If, for whatever reason they do not send them to preschool, the tups will probably be evaluated when they are signing them up for kindergarten.

  6. #2076
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Reality
    Posts
    2,365

    Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

    Quote Originally Posted by LocaCola;3130048;
    I am as well. Maybe if she didn't shove all that juice down the kids throats 24/7, he wouldn't have been so constipated in the first place.
    I did not see all of this episode. Was it all eight of the kids that were constipated or just one?


    One of my many nephews was always constipated. He never wanted to take the time to go potty for fear that he'd miss out on something. Doctor said that can be normal with some little boys.

  7. #2077
    Hypermediocrity Amanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

    Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;3129753;
    And it's not just this board - there's a reason J&K boards are being shut down elsewhere.
    Well, let it never be said that FORT ignores prevalent trends.

    We're closing this thread, and won't be allowing a replacement. Blame Kate if you'd like, but for whatever reason this show has brought out the worst in people, and we're no longer interested in hosting a discussion about it. We've tried to give ample opportunities for people to stop sniping at and flaming each other, and they've fallen on deaf ears. We take the rules of this site very seriously, and we're uncomfortable with the amount of nastiness this thread has spawned.

    Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.