Closed Thread
Page 207 of 208 FirstFirst ... 107157197198199200201202203204205206207208 LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 2077

Thread: Jon and Kate plus 8

FORT Fanatic

Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

Anyone who opens their doors to tv cameras fill face criticism. How they parent, what they did wrong, sometimes what they did right. But when someone creates a drama out of the stupidest little thing (gum-gate, cupcake-gate) and then harps on it, to their 3 & 4 yr olds no less, well then they dug the hole, shored up the sides and opened the floodgates upon themselves.

As most have been stating they liked Kate at the beginning. So did I. She seemed honest & refreshing, not one of those helicopter moms or prissy and uptight. She seemed down-to-earth and someone I could very well see being a friend with. Then her true nature started making appearances. I don't know if it's because she's getting a harsher edit, if she's getting more comfy with the cameras, I don't really care. If the behaviour is not there to film it won't be there to "edit in".

There's no reason for her to go off on a 3yr old because he has a speck of gum. No reason to go off on her husband because he forgot to use the word 'the', or dared to add a little weight, or lose a little hair. No reason to dictate to the camera crew how to properly hang blinds. No reason to be rude to the cupcake lady. No reason to ignore her ill children (Joel-gate, Colin-gate, and the infamous let's leave 4 sick kids for Aunt Jodi so I can tell the doctor how to properly install hairplugs-gate).

Any criticism here is brought on by Kate herself. Browse the other reality boards here where there are mothers. You'll see nitpicking of Amy Roloff's housekeeping but you won't see hundreds of pages of discussions regarding how horribly she treats her children. It's the same elsewhere. There's always something to nitpick but there's rarely this (meaning Jon & Kate) kind of feedback. So that in itself speaks volumes as to how much her behaviour is affecting viewers. And it's not just this board - there's a reason J&K boards are being shut down elsewhere.

FORT Newbie

Great post, helpme. That is how alot of people are feeling.

FORT Newbie

I wonder if J&K have any sort of editorial control over what is shown? They must at least see the episodes before they air...

Has anyone seen any episodes lately that have NOT yet been mentioned that contain any positive happenings? Also, References can be made to the quiet activities and if they can show kids using the kiddie cars in the drive way they could show play equipment in the backyard. I don't understand that it's exciting to watch this woman snipe at her husband all day, but we can disagree on that. IF the Gosselings are a more normal family and are actually attending to their kids basic needs then TLC needs to show more of this stuff, not for long segments, but allude to it. They had the time to show Aunt Jodie doing the stuff.
    Question: Why would TLC want to make Aunt Jodie look like so much better of a mom than Kate? Why would TLC choose to make Kate look like a *itch and her husband as resentful and angry? I don't get why in this case it benefits TLC to make this family look more dysfunctional than they are. However, back to my question: Any good reports on new episodes? I haven't seen the show in a few weeks since the re-carpeting of the house. WOW, now THERE is EXCITING material. o.k. we can agree to disagree about that.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmom;3129774;
    Question: Why would TLC want to make Aunt Jodie look like so much better of a mom than Kate? Why would TLC choose to make Kate look like a *itch and her husband as resentful and angry? I don't get why in this case it benefits TLC to make this family look more dysfunctional than they are. However, back to my question: Any good reports on new episodes? I haven't seen the show in a few weeks since the re-carpeting of the house. WOW, now THERE is EXCITING material. o.k. we can agree to disagree about that.
    I think that when it comes to this sort of reality TV, shows generate more chatter (which translates to more viewers) when viewers watch thinking "Thank God I'm not like that!" as opposed to thinking "I'd like to be more like that". It is a more humane version of the old adolescent girl "I'm going to cut you down so I feel better about me". There's a whole line of shows which present themselves as ways to improve -- Supernanny, Wife Swap, What Not to Wear, etc -- where the conversation point and the memorable part for many viewers is saying "Thank God I'm not that bad!" Yes, it feels good to see the participants feeling better about life after going through the process, and we can all pick up some useful advice along the way. But I think that the conversation point of these shows is usually "Did you see how awful that was!" rather than "That's a really great way to get your children to go to sleep, I'm going to try it".

I started watching Jon and Kate because of chatter I heard from friends and acquaintances of mine who watched it. That chatter focused much more on the "I can't believe they did/said that" than it did the "I get a warm fuzzy feeling from seeing that much love". So much of a cable audience is built on word of mouth that I think that's why TLC is smart enough to recognize that the "I can't believe they did that" is what works the best.

FORT Fogey

I only saw one "Aunt Jodie" episode. It was where all that the kids were doing was staring out the front window as Aunt Jodie shouted from another room that they could not go outside like she had promised, but they could continue to look out the window.
    Then I saw her just sitting in a chair handing out gum balls. They did not show her watching the kids to make sure they did not try to swallow the gum and possibly choke on it.
    AND you know that if it is NOT shown, then it did NOT happen!

FORT Newbie

Everyone has a different opinion on the show. I know my sister watched 1 episode and vowed never to watch it again because she couldn't stomach Kate and her actions. So, for as many that tune in for the drama, just as many are tuning out because of her turning them off by her behavior.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by LordyBe!!;3129813;
    Everyone has a different opinion on the show. I know my sister watched 1 episode and vowed never to watch it again because she couldn't stomach Kate and her actions. So, for as many that tune in for the drama, just as many are tuning out because of her turning them off by her behavior.
    I used to love Kate, and loved the show.

I had my DVR set to record all of the episodes. I would watch them all on the weekends.

The gum show was the first one where I started to dislike Kate. I couldn't believe that she was yelling "Who would give gum to a 3 year old" Kate knew good and well who did it. It was the woman who had been watching her 7 kids for free. The same woman who has done so for years. How in the world could you be so ungrateful? I was shocked that she just picked up the phone and "disciplined" Jodi for her behavior. I thought J&K both were incredibly immature and disrespectful of Jodi during their interview about the subject.

Then we watched the 3 year old birthday party show. My husband's mouth dropped open when Kate was going on and on about how much better Jon used to look. He said "I would be so hurt if you said that to me, and if you said it to the world I'd be crushed' Again, just really immature and disrespectful.

Final straw... 4th birthday epidsode....aka Cupcake-gate. I wasn't shocked at her behavior. I thought she was rude to everyone, especially the staff of the bakery, J&K argued the entire time (which makes other adults very uncomfortable, I would have hated to have been there). Personally if I had a business and opened it on a special day for this family and they came in and argued, and fussed the entire time, then didn't let the kids have fun, I would have been seriously offended.

IMO....

It's ironic that Kate "stars" in a reality show. It seems that reality is the one thing in her life that she has no grip on.

She acts like a celebrity, is mean to her husband, and says inappropriate things about the people in her life who are *trying* to help her.

Editing may very well remove some of Kate's "nicer" moments so we are left with a bad image, but editing can't open Kate's mouth and make her appear to be saying mean, awful things to those she "loves". She herself says there is no script.

The show used to be interesting, cute, entertaining. Now it just leaves me feeling upset at her behavior.

Anyway... I've deleted all of the shows I had recorded and removed the timer so I won't be getting any more episodes. I won't be giving Princess Kate anymore of my free time

Sweet Little Old Lady

Re: Jon and Kate plus 8 - Do Kate's "Friends" have ulterior motives?

Quote Originally Posted by Shannerik;3127872;
    I wonder if Beth was truly Kate's friend or if the lure of being on TV was behind her motive to be so involved with the family. Maybe Kate realized this and this is why they are on the outs...of course, if the rumor is really true. It's ashame that Jon's and Kate's parents aren't in the kids lives. It would be interesting to find out why.
    I seriously doubt that Beth was ensorcelled by the lure of fleetingly appearing on television. I think a better question might be is Kate truly Beth's friend? IIRC, Beth was one of the early volunteers to help to care for the tups. I believe Beth is liked and respected in her community—unlike some Gosselins I could name.

IMO, Kate latched onto Beth like grim death because Beth enjoys a very comfortable lifestyle, and Kate means to acquire the same by any means possible, which includes pimping out her children. Unfortunately for Katie Irene, all of the money into the world will not change her into a swan. She'll always be clueless, pinchbeck and graceless.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3129803;
    I only saw one "Aunt Jodie" episode. It was where all that the kids were doing was staring out the front window as Aunt Jodie shouted from another room that they could not go outside like she had promised, but they could continue to look out the window.
    Then I saw her just sitting in a chair handing out gum balls. They did not show her watching the kids to make sure they did not try to swallow the gum and possibly choke on it.
    AND you know that if it is NOT shown, then it did NOT happen!
    I've been lurking, but I've read most of this thread and follow other J&K threads. I'm pretty much in the middle of the road here: don't love Kate (used to admire her) but don't hate her and think her abusive either.

I HAD to delurk when I saw that quote by PugMum. I know you are an ardent Kate supporter, but you really haven't seen Jodi doing crafts/activities with the tups at her kitchen table?

She helped them bake (I think they made some sort of lollipops?) and some other crafts at the table with the kids and Kate even commented on it once (I think). Jodi really tries to have fun stuff planned when they're at her house. Jodi has also been filmed cuddling the sick ones (when she said she was uncomfortable with vomit but did it anyway), and being a total sweetheart. I'm definitely a HUGE Jodi supporter. If you watch the show regularly, how can you have missed that unless you're deliberately ignoring the sweetness of Jodi in comparison?

Anyhow, I lurk to learn some insight and read the snarky comments (some are funny, while others are overly harsh IMHO). A quick google search reveals a lot of folks talking about J&K. I know TWOP was closed (one other board said Jon actually monitored that one and may have requested it be closed), but then a new blog called Gosselins without Pity was started by some of the haters. There's also an imdb forum and lots of facebook forums where Kate lovers are hanging out. Jon is actually a Facebook member and an "honorary officer" of one of the Jon and Kate lovefest groups.

To sum up my views on this show:

- I recognize that raising 2 sets of multiples is intense and not your normal parenting experience. Yet I think Kate puts herself under immense stress and has overly high expectations, which she then takes out by sniping at Jon and limiting the kids' ability to have fun (e.g., "Don't get messy because I'm the one who has to do laundry.")
    - I think she can be incredibly disrespectful and sometimes cruel to Jon, but he does sometimes provoke her. His behavior/tone can be petulant and he strikes me as someone who doesn't really take the initiative to help. Sort of like the stereotypical man who hangs out until the wife nags him to do something that has to be done. He is almost like a 9th child (which Kate has called him a few times) because she has to point out to him what needs to be done and then she gets exasperated because she doesn't feel like she can rely on him. So I don't place all the blame on Kate.
    - The kids are adorable and generally well-behaved. I do wonder if there are developmental delays as the tups are not as articulate and patient as other 4 year olds I've interacted with, but I think that's understandable given the limited one-on-one time that they've had. I worry about Hannah (who is a clinger and gets way too much attention) as well as the boys, who seem a bit neglected compared to the girls. Mady seems to be much improved in the last few episodes, so I'm glad to see that.
    - I will continue to watch the show unless Kate's behavior really gets out of control. I think it's been borderline a few times, but I can understand the self-imposed pressure she feels as she seems a bit OCD/perfectionist. I wish that someone might provide some marriage counseling or just individual counseling for her, as she sometimes seems way too "woe is me"(i.e., the message I perceive is that she's sending is, I'm exhausted as this is all on my shoulders and there's no one to help me). It might help her mental and emotional state if she changed her perspective from one of a martyr to one blessed with children.

Just my $0.02 after reading a bunch of other forums and finding such passionate feelings about this family.

Closed Thread