Closed Thread

Thread: Jon and Kate plus 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

Any or all of those you mention may share the same concerns expressed by many on this thread, but of course we would have no way to know that.
    And if they had absolutely no concerns, because they believe the Gosellins are a rather normal family, other than the fact that 6 of their kids are the same age, we'd have no way of knowing THAT either.
    So viewers are left to form their opinions based on their own observations, not what may or may not be happening off camera, or what people who know the family may or may not have observed. What we do know is the tups have been filmed constantly since they were 16 mo. old, having cameras follow their daily lives, including bathing and pottying, for 3-4 days a week (according to Kate). Only time will tell what effects this intrusive environment will have on these children, but I don't think it's unreasonable to express concern about their long-term well-being in these circumstances.

FORT Newbie

Thank you everyone for your kind words about my son's loss. I very much appreciate it ((HUGS)). Maybe it's because I had a son and I'm more in tune with boys, but it seems to me that Kate doesn't like her boys very much. Some of the best photos I have of my son include one with a bowl of strained plums he poured over his head at age 1, and covered from head to toe in sand at the beach - even his lips (he was teething at the time). In other words, messy and just being a toddler and a little boy. I find it VERY interesting that one of the insults the kids use on each other is "you a BOY." As though being a boy is not as good as being a girl. Of course, I recall one of the tups telling Kate SHE was a boy.....hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3127149;
    The producers of the show edit 22 minutes of what will make the most entertaining television, not the 22 minutes where they look the best and most functional. To believe that what we're not seeing is so much worse than what we do see is a totally unfounded assumption.
    Let's not forget the network broadcasting Jon and Kate Plus 8 and the demographic they are targeting. I assume they are targeting family audiences. I would also assume that the network needs to fill those 22 minutes with appropriate viewing for their target demographic. The constant bickering, arguing and eye rolling between Jon and Kate is IMO hardly appropriate for family viewing. What exactly is The Learning Channel trying to have us learn? How adults argue and disrespect one another? How not to get children messy? Do they honestly think cutting into Jon's scalp was appropriate viewing for a family audience? What is to be "learned" from a mother calling her boys icky, gross and dirty? It's becoming more apparent that Jon and Kate Plus 8 would better fit on Bravotv but then I am reminded that this is a real family and these kids are living this reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Figjam;3127188;
    Regarding the tummy tuck, I wonder if she actually does get together with the Dr's wife every year like they talked about when she was recovering. Somehow I doubt it.
    Somehow, I think this is one bridge she is not going to burn, she's still got her eye on that free boob job.

FORT Fogey

I find it VERY interesting that one of the insults the kids use on each other is "you a BOY." As though being a boy is not as good as being a girl.
    I also find it interesting that Jon makes fun of Joel about being "effiminate" (speaking with a lisp and rolling his eyes as he describes something Joel did), both Jon and Kate have mentioned Joel's "girlish" behavior, and that he's so clingy to Jon. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Joel mimics "girlish" behavior is because in his experience, girls are more likely to get the kind of attention he craves from his parents.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;3127237;
    I also find it interesting that Jon makes fun of Joel about being "effiminate" (speaking with a lisp and rolling his eyes as he describes something Joel did), both Jon and Kate have mentioned Joel's "girlish" behavior, and that he's so clingy to Jon. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Joel mimics "girlish" behavior is because in his experience, girls are more likely to get the kind of attention he craves from his parents.
    ITA. Joel is so darn sweet! My heart melted when he said "ohhh myyyy" when he was frosting his cupcake. I love the way he talks. I love all those kids, I really wish them the best. I truly hope that there is no adverse effect on these kids and that my gut feeling is wrong.

FORT Newbie

If I were that doctor's wife, I'd be plenty embarrassed to be associated with Kate Gosselin now. Run, good woman, if you haven't already.

This is my first time to post. I have been reading for few months. I loved the show at first. Then I noticed how hateful Kate is to most people around her. If I was Kate I would be very worried about what the veiwers thought of me. I wouldnt want to be in public and some stranger chew me out.

Oh and has anyone here noticed the T-Shirts for sale on ebay?
    "I'D RATHER BE WATCHING JON AND KATE PLUS 8" T-SHIRT

FORT Regular

I was the one who mentioned social services, or some sort of intervention to help with the children and their emotional stability and sanity.

I must say, again, that social services and social workers do not swoop in like vultures and snatch your children away because you are a "bad" parent. IMO, social services will provide the services needed to maintain a better, safer household. They can provide counseling and training courses to assist a family to improve. I am not suggesting the kids be removed at all. I am just hoping for some help. As a mother, I know that these services work because I've had to use them with an adoptee, my own child. And they helped!

It's not about crying wolf; I feel it's about getting the family assistance. I do not feel like J&K are the worst parents ever, and I'm sure there are worse people out there raising kids. But I am also not watching those kids for years being yelled at or belittled. Simple training about the effects of leaving full potties may stop one of the issues! The smell of urine is disgusting enough (in certain public restrooms, I gag beyond belief and have to hightail it out of there), and to have more than one person urinate in the same bowl is beyond just gross, it's heartbreaking, IMO.

We don't know the effects of raising the children on television, and may not know anytime soon. Lots of childhood celebrities have transitioned into fine adults. But we also know about some of the devastating stories (the kids from Different Strokes, ALL of them, for example). I would hope that J&K have taken this into consideration, but it doesn't appear that they have. From the looks of things, they are just trying to live in the now.

Ok, enough being serious...let's get back to the snarking!
    Last edited by yepperpepper; 07-13-2008 at 12:20 AM.

Ok, here's some snark....did anyone notice Kate's 4 inch heels when they took Mady to the mall to have her ears pierced? Tattoos and 4 inch heels, Kate!

Closed Thread