Closed Thread
Page 11 of 208 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon and Kate plus 8

FORT Fanatic

Re: Jon and Kate plus 8

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;2895577;
    Understood. What doesn't make sense to many viewers is that Kate often explains the kids' bad behavior as a result of "low blood sugar." Whatever candy the kids may receive, whether or not it's organic, will cause a spike and a corresponding dive in blood sugar levels, so in that sense organic candy is no better than non-organic. But candy isn't the only cause of blood sugar spikes/lows, and the simple fix is to provide the kids with more protein and complex carbs that are slower to digest, thereby maintaining more stable blood sugar levels.

I have 2 people in my household that have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which does not mean that they donít ever eat sweets. Of course when Kate said her kids have low blood sugar, that spiked my attention, but I really donít think she meant that all her children are hypoglycemic, I think that is just her way of saying that the kids are very hungry and need to eat. If the children really had low blood sugar I would doubt that we would see them eating pancakes for breakfast so frequently, pancakes for breakfast in our house is a no no, we have to start the day off with protein.

FORT Fogey

when Kate said her kids have low blood sugar, that spiked my attention, but I really donít think she meant that all her children are hypoglycemic
    I agree. My response to the low blood sugar comments made by Kate were only in the context of organic candy being no better than ordinary candy in the way it effects blood sugar levels. But I would also say that even though my kids don't suffer from hypoglycemia, I too prefer breakfasts with protein and more nutrient dense foods like whole/multigrain toast because I don't think it's a good idea for kids to start the day with pancakes smothered in sugary syrup. My experience has been that sugary foods, whether it's syrup, soft drinks, candy, etc. can have an effect on kids' behavior, with the effect being worse on some kids than others.

I absolutely agree that sugary foods have an affect on children. How can they not?! We know how we feel when we eat chocolate, have a drink of pop, eat chips, etc, etc. Of course kids little bodies are going to have a reaction to the food! Heh, it's like giving them crayons and saying okay don't draw with them. What I think is that sugary foods, in moderation, are absolutely fine. It's not entirely healthy either to cut out sugars all together. A person's food diet needs balance of everything. Just some foods to a greater degree than others.

Personally, I'm not completely sold on organic candy or a lot of organic foods. I see the value in the fresh stuff, but to me, brown pasta or white pasta?? White all the way! Non-manufactured food to manufactured by company food? Depends what I see that looks and tastes good to me.

FORT Regular

Sometimes I get annoyed with all of Kate's organic this and organic that talk.

FORT Fogey

What I think is that sugary foods, in moderation, are absolutely fine. It's not entirely healthy either to cut out sugars all together
    I agree, it's not a good idea to categorize something as a "forbidden food" to kids (unless there's a medical condition that prevents it) because you'll only make that food more attractive to them! I've found that not making a big deal about it and making sure that the net intake is pretty healthy works well to maintain sanity. Freaking out about the number of M&Ms? Nah, not worth it. Which is the reason I thought the M&M counter tallying the number of M&Ms Joel consumed at Aunt Jodi's (OMG, NINE!!) was hilarious. Especially since that scene immediately followed Kate's comments about the organic candy. Too funny!

ITA, it doesn't make her mother of the year harping about the organic foods. If you can afford it, great, but lots of families, especially in these more difficult economic times, have to stretch their income to afford the basic necessities, buying store brands or generics instead of name brands, etc.

Heck even if you can afford it, I truly do not believe that it's an automatic that organic is immediately better than other forms of food. Every family does the best they can for those they love and that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Allygirl;2896794;
    I cant stand her condescending tone when she says "we only eat organic". It's sort of when like when someone tells you they are vegetarian and you feel like a complete monster for eating meat! (no offense to all you wonderful vegetarians out there) Were those hot dogs and sloppy joes organic that they ordered at the 4th of July picnic? How about that apple fritter and ice cream at the dairy farm with Aiden? Try buying "only organic" without the benefit of a supplemental income from your own television series. With the rising cost of fuel, groceries have become outrageously expensive and even with two incomes, I have to be careful not to overspend at the grocery store. It adds up quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2893864;
    It is when it's the tax payer's money! Sure the kids are cute, and sure it must be really tiring to have 8 kids running around, but tell me who it was who held a gun to the Gosselins respective heads and forced them to use fertility drugs. And now the belly aching starts and they expect to have people donate time to help them and give them tax breaks and extended Medicare. Probably that's why they are on TV so that Kate doesn't have to get a job. Think of people you know who have four kids or so, who helps them? They should have thought thru the consequences before they had a second helping of fertility drugs. They could have given a great life to those two twin girls.
    You're a person after my own heart! Thank you for saying that. At this point in the world no one should be taking fertility drugs! They should be outlawed! We're over populated as it is and it's completely unnatural for people to be having the multiple births that are occurring because of these fertility drugs. I cringe every time that I see this show listed. No one should help them. They had the money for the drugs so now they should pay the
    consequences themselves.

What a good point! I completely forget all the times they don't eat organic! I really think it's to each their own and whatever you do great, but don't try to tell me what to do.

I do love watching the show and I think the kids are great, but honestly Kate is my least favourite of them all because of her, apparent to me, hypocrisy that seems to be fairly constant with her. I enjoy seeing their adventures, but I hold the opinion that it's also a show and they're getting paid for what they're doing. Heck they're getting to do a lot for their family, for any family. I'd love to go to half the places they do or go on half the adventures.

My husband used to think that our kids would become hyper after eating sugary foods. There is no scientific proof that sugary foods cause hyperactivity in children. It could be that when kids are eating candy or cake they are usually in a social situation that would warrant becoming overly excited.

Closed Thread