+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Ghost Hunters

Re: Ghost Hunters

Man, I actually watched a few episodes of this show when it first came out and it was very lame. Nothing scary and some of those things that they think were paranormal seem faked just so they can have a show. Thinking that they may in fact find a real ghost in the next episodes, I continued to watch it only to be disappointed everytime. Most of the time they'd just say "Did you hear that?", "What was that?", "It feels cold", "I think that thing moved", etc.. and then say there's paranormal activity going on. Anybody can make up comments like that and call their show Ghost Hunters. I wasted so much time watching it that I had to go to Youtube to find real ghost shows. Found a show done in Malaysia where they dare someone to face the ghost by themself....alone. A scary apparition actually appeared on camera and the daree actually had to quit. Now that's a ghost show.

They have run several episodes recently, and I've noticed Steve saying how some of the women irritate him. Really? More than Brian? I'm still watching this show but that just irritated me. I do like team Amy/Kris, and Steve/Tango/Dustin. I just wonder why Jason/Grant usually team up together instead of switching around.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Newbie

Ghost Hunters, is it reality tv?

is ghost hunters reality tv or is it too weird/staged or whatever?

this review on christwire seems pretty harsh:

"The “Ghost Hunters” program is the worst of televised fakery. The two men behind this, Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson, are former plumbers who have a vast amount of experience talking their way into old people’s homes and stealing their faith with false promises. The laughable premise of this rape of the mind is that these men have been hired at a princely sum to exorcise ghosts from homes and private properties. To add to the showmanship, they drive to the scene of the crime in three SUVs and talk via walkie-talkie. Why couldn’t they rent a big van or bus and talk like normal people? Clearly, they’re just bilking their television station for unnecessary expenses and are fetishizing mechanical toys. Once at a location, they set up a many pieces of high-tech looking equipment. You have to wonder if these things are like the old scam of gypsies selling VCRs full or rocks. Their geophones and EMS detectors look like they’ve been ordered from the same catalog where Scientologists get their e-meters."

Re: Ghost Hunters, is it reality tv?

Quote Originally Posted by surgeprotector;3876842;
    is ghost hunters reality tv or is it too weird/staged or whatever?

this review on christwire seems pretty harsh:

"The “Ghost Hunters” program is the worst of televised fakery. The two men behind this, Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson, are former plumbers who have a vast amount of experience talking their way into old people’s homes and stealing their faith with false promises. The laughable premise of this rape of the mind is that these men have been hired at a princely sum to exorcise ghosts from homes and private properties. To add to the showmanship, they drive to the scene of the crime in three SUVs and talk via walkie-talkie. Why couldn’t they rent a big van or bus and talk like normal people? Clearly, they’re just bilking their television station for unnecessary expenses and are fetishizing mechanical toys. Once at a location, they set up a many pieces of high-tech looking equipment. You have to wonder if these things are like the old scam of gypsies selling VCRs full or rocks. Their geophones and EMS detectors look like they’ve been ordered from the same catalog where Scientologists get their e-meters."
    I have watched the show with my husband from time to time and I do think the editing has gotten more "dramatic" over time. I initially liked the show because of the "debunking" perspective they approached a location with. I think that have lost some of that over time as they have opted for the drama. I have chalked these changes up to the fact that they are competing with shows like Ghost Adventures, which I personally think is a ludicrous show with a highly annoying host.

I wouldn't even venture to say if it is real or fake, it is entertaining. Where I disagree with the article are the places I bolded. I have never heard them talk about exorcising ghosts. It has seemed to me that they try to find non-supernatural answers first and also note anything they find that they cannot explain. Then they present it all to the representative of the property and leave it at that.

to the FORT surgeprotector!!

Re: Ghost Hunters, is it reality tv?

Christwire is like The Onion, it's not a serious review site.

I think they started out genuine and succumbed to the pressure to perform. The trouble started in one of their live Halloween specials. I really haven't been able to watch the show since.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

ghost hunters has gotten so bad over the years. I still watch though gives me something to watch while I am on my treadmill. I just love how they see a shadow but the camera man points the camera at Jason and Grant. I would love to see them with head cams on so the viewers can really see what they see, which is most likely nothing. Steve and Tango are immature. I remember Jason telling Brian to act professional on the hunts and yet when I see Steve and Tango doing stupid dares "eat the bug"....how is that professional? silly. their debunking methods I have to laugh at....the door opened while the lady was making the bed at the other end of the room....steve walks up to the door about an inch away steps on a board and the door opens....debunked..... silly, silly silly. they don't listen the client and their claims. I have ghost hunted at several locations that they said were haunted and not haunted and I have heard mixed reviews from the clients.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;3754739;
    Man, I actually watched a few episodes of this show when it first came out and it was very lame. Nothing scary and some of those things that they think were paranormal seem faked just so they can have a show. Thinking that they may in fact find a real ghost in the next episodes, I continued to watch it only to be disappointed everytime. Most of the time they'd just say "Did you hear that?", "What was that?", "It feels cold", "I think that thing moved", etc.. and then say there's paranormal activity going on. Anybody can make up comments like that and call their show Ghost Hunters. I wasted so much time watching it that I had to go to Youtube to find real ghost shows. Found a show done in Malaysia where they dare someone to face the ghost by themself....alone. A scary apparition actually appeared on camera and the daree actually had to quit. Now that's a ghost show.
    lol! You sound like me! I still watch this stupid show and can't believe that I do. The WHOLE show is just these nitwits talking and talking! It's sooooooooo funny! Maybe I watch it for the humor! I don't know, wishful thinking. If anything they make me NOT believe in ghosts!

I hate the music that they play as they are listening to a tape ... then say "did you hear that?!?" No, all I heard was that music yall insist on not muting when we're supposed to listen for something on a tape.

Love the people, tired of not seeing anything.

I still compare other paranormal shows to this one ... Grant and Jason would eat Zac's team (Ghost Adventures) for breakfast. At least they did catch a brick flying through the air. Several years ago now, though.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

ghost hunters eat ghost adventures? NA.....I agree with the post above, ghost hunters just walk around and talk....I never thought of it that way....with all the talking they do, I am surprised they actually "hear" anything.

One thing I do like about ghost adventures is they give a bit of history of the location, on ghost hunters they always get the same claims from Kris "there is full body apparitions, hair pulling etc."...at one of the events I attended with TAPS according the Jason and Grant they have teams that scout for interesting cases and than see if they wouldn't mind being on tv....man their scouting team sucks big time especially with the episodes when it involves families.

Gotta admit Ghost Hunters is kinda getting old with me as well, they really need to change the format of the show, but like I said I watch it at least it gives me something to do on the treadmill for an hour.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567