Thread: Oprah's Big Give

Oprah's Big Give

Prediction The First:

Oprah will shout a lot.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Re: Oprah's Big Give

Prediction The Second:

Oprah will shout a lot. She will also give away money and tell "inspirational stories". Tears will be jerked, but jerks won't be teared.

EDIT - Well, I wouldn't have guessed O would also do funny phone voices. Shocking! Innovative! Riveting!

I wonder if these people actually believe they are playing for no prize.

And since they are simply giving away OPRAH'S money, I wonder if it really counts as their "giving".

EDIT 2 - Okay. I get it now (they don't explain it very well in the commercials, or even up front on this show). Oprah just gives them SEED money. The rest is Apprentice-style competition, in the sense that they have to hold a fundraiser, or something similar, with that seed money. So really the show is more like "The Big (Fund)Raise".
    Last edited by Krom; 03-02-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Not impressed by the first show. You're right, Krom, it's just another lame version of the Apprentice. The competition is the main focus of the show ...not the "Give".

Oprah is so annoying!! Other then her I liked the show. I was glad the plastic surgeon didn't win and I really felt both of his people should have been let go.

I felt the guys who were raising money for the widow whos husband was killed at Home Depot had a great idea of throwing the block party but they really could have done a lot better if they had gotten more advertising. They should have had radio stations and tv crews out there. They should have invited the whole city to the block party.

The young team that raised money for the special needs center were the best. They truly did give a gift that keeps on giving, plus the person they did it for was asking for something for someone else so it was even more special. Plus I am sure that I heard them tell the recipient that someone donated a building that holds 1,000 people for use for 6years. That is a hell of a lot more then just 43,000 that they said they raised.

Editing to add that like most reality shows, if there is a second season, we're going to see the players really start to have better ideas and raise a lot more money. I feel sorry for the competitors because they don't seem to really know where to start. I would be raising so much money just by walking into a business and saying, "I'm doing a show with Oprah, I'm going to need......" They could so be capitalising on Oprahs name. There is not a company that wouldn't want to get there name linked with Oprahs. I'm going to guess that this is not a Mark Burnett production.
    Last edited by CantGetNuf; 03-03-2008 at 12:26 AM.

I'm wondering if there was a rule that they couldn't refer to Oprah. They had to simply say "The Big Give" and assume the world knew what they were talking about.

And whatever you think of the Block Party team, if I was counting right, they raised the most money for their people by quite a bit. Sure they could have done even more, but it seems to me that they squeezed a lot of what they DID get. I mean if we want to talk about "who could have gotten more"? Hello... War Vet. Shouldn't that have been an easy sell?

I have to wonder sometimes if standing in the same room as Oprah when she's in one of her "shouty" modes, if people ever just give in and cover their ears.

im sorry but Oprah is annoying and I seriously don't get why alot of people look up to her and find her so inspirational uhhhhh only American's
    Think Before You Act...."We Were Here All Together Yesterday" Stole Stole Stole

I think the idea of promoting giving of yourself is great. And I loved some of the way a couple of teams performed their challenges. Giving isn't always just money. It's time and acknowledgement and appreciation and valuable help.

I did not like the fake "surprised telephone calls" received by winning contestants. With a camera crew there, don't you think they knew and it was rehearsed? How stupid does she think the audience is?

I have to say though, being the critical cynic at times, I could not for the life of me figure out why the young man who just graduated with a medical degree in plastic surgery, needed his university loans paid off by others. I certainly applaud his wanting to serve his community. But he will be making at least $100,000 a year, is not married, had no children, and no unpaid mortgage.

In my opinion, he could have talked to the hospital or clinic he was being hired by and worked out some kind of pro-bono work for the poor who needed surgery; even if it was once a month. Lawyers do it. And the team who decided to raise money by holding a fashion show made no connection to what this man did. I was embarassed for everyone when the models held out their purses and asked for donations then and there. Didn't the audience know it was a fundraiser? Was the fashion show free?

There were a few other things that bothered me. There was the lady whose husband was killed during a robbery at work. Wouldn't there be a lawsuit or something because her husband was the manager and died protecting the employees while working? Wouldn't his wife have taken out life insurance after they were married, that would help with the mortgage and education for their two girls? Isn't that common sense? Or did the wife receive compensation and Oprah just decided not to let the viewers know that detail?

Then there was the case of the soldier who got 3 purple hearts and was discharged from the navy because he was wounded. It looked to me like he would have been able to remain in the navy and do a desk job or something in order to keep working. Or go on sick leave if he had emotional trauma. I can't believe the Navy just tosses a decorated soldier and his family out of their home on the base. The story didn't sound quite right. A very good point that the team working for him didn't even try to get support from his fellow officers.

I know that thousands of people were interviewed to become contestants. But how did Oprah pick the people who became the "challenges"? I also wonder how many companies and celebrities would have given their money if "Oprah's" name were not attached to this contest.

I think the show has some great ideas and shows that people can make a difference in someone else's life. But, IMO, in order to do it in a big way, you need great contacts, the art of persuasion, a good plan for anything to work, and of course money and a big name behind it.

I also feel strongly that Oprah basically shoots herself in the foot by giving the "winning Big Giver" $1million dollars. It'a suppposed to be about self-less giving. But then she makes it all about the money in the end. Why on earth did she do that? Even if the contestants don't know about it. Let them "win" for what they have accomplished and feel good about that.

Giving out $1million to the winner just makes it out to be another reality competition like Survivor, The Amazing Race, or whatever.

That doesn't impress me at all.

I can hardly wait to see the celebrity guests, like John Travolta, "giving" of their time to be recognized on this show. Not.
    Last edited by misskitty; 03-03-2008 at 06:21 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Ya, I had some questions about just how down and out these people are. In addition to the questions asked about the fellow shot at work....he worked for Home Depot! A huge corporation! Given that the guy was killed on the job, protecting his fellow employees...would Home Depot not see to it that the widow's house was paid off...at the very least?

About 2/3rds into this show I found my attention drifting off and got up to look for other things to do. I will not be watching again.

FORT Fogey

I didn't watch and plan to skip it. I checked in here to find exactly what I thought it would be. I don't watch her do gooders shows either. It is important to do service work but I don't want to watch it.

FORT Fogey

i'll pass. i find oprah overrated. don't get me wrong i love her, but she is overrated. she will end up another trump.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast