+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oprah's Big Give

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Oprah's Big Give

I'm guessing it's her corporations' money. I'm thinking she's not exactly going into her purse and getting out the wallet, but it is connected to her. Things get very complex when you live and work in the circle in which she does. Money makes money. She puts ideas together to give, contacts people (well, her people contact their people) to see if they want to be in on her "give", they'd almost have to be idiots to say, "No thanks"...and everybody wins in one way or another. They get her name recognition, in association with their company .... where's the loss here? I do remember one little company that didn't want to take part in one of her things because they were too small, and it would be a real problem for them to fill orders that would come their way from the Oprah connection. They were not interested in expanding. I get that.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

I taped it on DVR tonite (Georgia small town night) and played it back..however, the station screwed up the timing, somehow this always happens on Sunday nights, so I lost the last minutes of the show and did NOT see who was "sent home"...can anyone please tell me who was sent home ?? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by estygal4;2881960;
    I taped it on DVR tonite (Georgia small town night) and played it back..however, the station screwed up the timing, somehow this always happens on Sunday nights, so I lost the last minutes of the show and did NOT see who was "sent home"...can anyone please tell me who was sent home ?? Thanks
    Sheg
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

FORT Fogey

Originally Posted by prhoshay
    ..For all of the critics out there, Oprah is still making the world a better place...I guess my point is that running people down who are at least trying to help humankind just speaks loudly to jealousy, insecurity, and just plain nothing positive.
    Well said. Like her or not. Oprah has had a profound impact on our country's culture - for the better. There isn't a single celebrity, politician (except Jimmy Carter), or sports figure I can think of who leverages his/her fame to help others the way she does. She has introduced social responsbility to this country in an unparalleled way.

Plus, I don't think Oprah gives two cents for whatever anyone thinks of her. She follows her heart and does what she wants, and she's pretty fabulous at it. I have tremendous respect for that.

Who cares if Oprah makes a bundle along the way, i.e. makes a business out of doing good. Her contributions to our society have been tremendous.

My only thought is that she is overexposed which may lead to "burnout" and disinterest. And that would be a loss.
    Last edited by Jexter; 04-01-2008 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;2887268;
    Well said. Like her or not. Oprah has had a profound impact on our country's culture - for the better. There isn't a single celebrity, politician (except Jimmy Carter), or sports figure I can think of who leverages his/her fame to help others the way she does. She has introduced social responsbility to this country in an unparalleled way.

Plus, I don't think Oprah gives two cents for whatever anyone thinks of her. She follows her heart and does what she wants, and she's pretty fabulous at it. I have tremendous respect for that.

Who cares if Oprah makes a bundle along the way, i.e. makes a business out of doing good. Her contributions to our society have been tremendous.

My only thought is that she is overexposed which may lead to "burnout" and disinterest. And that would be a loss.
    If I was worth 1,750,000,000 dollars and could pay cash for a 40 million dollar estate overlooking the Pacific Ocean, I wouldn't care what people think of me either.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2896177;
    If I was worth 1,750,000,000 dollars and could pay cash for a 40 million dollar estate overlooking the Pacific Ocean, I wouldn't care what people think of me either.
    The woman is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;2899656;
    The woman is amazing.
    On that I agree 100%. If you look where her life started and where she is today, she is more than amazing.

Premium Member

well I was glad to see Rae getting the boot, who is everyone rooting for to win?

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;2899788;
    well I was glad to see Rae getting the boot, who is everyone rooting for to win?
    If Oprah is looking for a philanthropist, she can't go wrong with any of the final 3. If she wants someone to oversee her foundation, either of the guys could do the job.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I hate 'crying' shows, but I lost it when Natalie Cole began singing "Unforgettable" to the woman with cancer. I was just fine, up until then. What struck me was that it was like the dying people were attending their own funerals when they were being feted. Great things were done, but it seemed rather morose....like the big sendoff.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast