+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oprah's Big Give

FORT Newbie

Re: Oprah's Big Give

Re: some of the recipients

1) if a guy was injured at work at Home Depot, he TOTALLY would have been able to receive WORKER'S COMPENSATION!! I suspect the family turned it down in favor of litigation and it's tied up in court right now (and could be for years). Otherwise, the best gift they could have given the family was A LAWYER.

2) the Navy guy would TOTALLY get veterans compensation! Again, the system could be holding up benefits. He also would get service-related disability payments FOR LIFE.

Clearly, some of these folks need good lawyers. Maybe that should be Oprah's next show: finding high-powered lawyers for down and out folk who can't get past the receptionists at some of the big law firms. If Stephen Spielberg's sister could get $700,000 because her plane dropped 1,000 feet during a flight ... (she sued the airline for flying during bad weather) then some of these people are probably in line for millions.

Quote Originally Posted by dimzee;2856853;
    1) if a guy was injured at work at Home Depot, he TOTALLY would have been able to receive WORKER'S COMPENSATION!! I suspect the family turned it down in favor of litigation and it's tied up in court right now (and could be for years). Otherwise, the best gift they could have given the family was A LAWYER. ....
    He wasn't injured though. He was killed. By an external force (robber) pretty much beyond Home Depot's control. I don't think they, or any Worker's Comp insurance, would be liable for that. But like I said before...you'd think they would pay for the house out of the goodness of their big corporation's heart.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;2856932;
    He wasn't injured though. He was killed. By an external force (robber) pretty much beyond Home Depot's control. I don't think they, or any Worker's Comp insurance, would be liable for that.
    Not really. Was the Home Depot well lit? Were there security cameras? Were the managers given proper training on how to avoid confrontations? Were they given pepper spray? Were there other security incidents in the past that had been ignored by headquarters? Was the robber a problem at that store in the past? Had he threatened the manager before? Was he a former employee?

A good lawyer could have EASILY gotten a million or more for that widow--all you would need is a jury of unemployed people who lost their jobs at big corporations or had their jobs outsourced to China and Home Depot would have settled out of court in a minute.

Workers compensation is available to workers INJURED OR KILLED ON THE JOB. It doesn't matter who's at fault--the goal is to protect the worker and their families.

Well I have to say i was not surprised with who went home tonight. That really was a no brainer. I can't believe that guy said he'd pay for the funeral and then never showed up. Could he not go late and still pay for the funeral. I mean really. Also, doesn't the country pay for a funeral if a fireman and police man die?

I do love this show. I love the grocery give away I thought that was great. There were I"m sure more schools that could have used supplies. They didn't have to do it all at one school. But that is just my impression.

I still love this show however.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lovedrama;2863962;
    I still love this show however.
    I LOVE your Pug picture!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dimzee;2857007;
    Not really. Was the Home Depot well lit? Were there security cameras? Were the managers given proper training on how to avoid confrontations? Were they given pepper spray? Were there other security incidents in the past that had been ignored by headquarters? Was the robber a problem at that store in the past? Had he threatened the manager before? Was he a former employee?

A good lawyer could have EASILY gotten a million or more for that widow--all you would need is a jury of unemployed people who lost their jobs at big corporations or had their jobs outsourced to China and Home Depot would have settled out of court in a minute.

Workers compensation is available to workers INJURED OR KILLED ON THE JOB. It doesn't matter who's at fault--the goal is to protect the worker and their families.
    Workers compensation is part of a benefits package. The private sector does not have to offer it.
    The only way for a family to get compensation through a lawsuit like you said would be proof of negligence. If it was an unsafe environment. An ignored threat like you mentioned could become an issue. Someone being raped in an unlit or badly lit parking lot has a case.

In my state comp is not part of a benefits package. It applies to all people hurt on the job regardless of what benefits they get or don't get.

What a jerk that guy was who said that he would pay for the funeral then walked away from that promise. Oprah should stop buying Gayle Penthouse Condos and write a check to that family!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Does anyone know why he could not have paid for the funeral when he was at the funeral home the first time? What did I miss? I was sick for that family.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Is Oprah really giving away her personal income, or are sponsor's providing the money? I've observed that Oprah loves giving away other people's money and prizes.....Then somehow getting the credit for it.....
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast