+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oprah's Big Give

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Oprah's Big Give

I don't know how any of us can assume to know what, exactly, Oprah is doing with her money. She is a private citizen, and what she does with her money does not require accountability to anyone but Uncle Sam. She has also built homes, she has sent huge numbers of people to college...and all of this by just being a "huckster"? I don't think so. What we do seem to forget is the tax breaks that business/corporations get for making charitable contributions to things like she does. They not only get tax write-offs, but the publicity is worth big bucks to them. I guarantee you that they, ultimately, make more than they get from write-offs. For all of the critics out there, Oprah is still making the world a better place.

How about we start a list that reveals what each of us is doing to make the world a better place? Just kidding, since this isn't the thread for something like that. I guess my point is that running people down who are at least trying to help humankind just speaks loudly to jealousy, insecurity, and just plain nothing positive.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2831842;
    ..For all of the critics out there, Oprah is still making the world a better place...I guess my point is that running people down who are at least trying to help humankind just speaks loudly to jealousy, insecurity, and just plain nothing positive.
    I agree. I'm glad Oprah's doing good things, but I sometimes don't like the way things are presented for tv sake. I like that she is encouraging "giving" rather than "expecting and taking". I like good ideas that regular folks can do, and things that inspire us to find out own inspiration to give.

For everything that is wrong with reality tv, this show may change peoples lives and inspire others to change their lives to.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

The beauty queen is really starting to bug me. Did she just forget about the woman she said she'd help? I feel like she's really in this for the competition to earn the title of being the biggest giver, rather than for the experience of connecting with people and changing their lives the way some of the others are. I hope I'm proven wrong, though.

Oh good, she's giving her a car.

That guy, the host's hair is annoying. He needs a haircut.

I wonder if that guy the chick in the wheelchair gave the car to even had a drivers license.

Quote Originally Posted by VanJagSol;2832818;
    That guy, the host's hair is annoying. He needs a haircut.

I wonder if that guy the chick in the wheelchair gave the car to even had a drivers license.
    If he didn't, the rehab hospital will help him get one. That's one of the key rehab milestones for adults.

I love this show. I Love the feeling I get after watching this show, like i'm not doing enough for the people around me. That I need to do more. I too am a single mom, who went back to College to get a good job, I'm working and paying off my student loans, and I don't have enough money at the end of the week usually. So anyone trying to help would be wonderful. I took in a 16 year old Jamaican boy last year. I say Jamaican because I'm Irish and we have completely different upbringings. It has been a struggle, but just yesterday he got a job, and we all celebrated, this was a boy who last year thought he'd become a big drug king pin. So I'm thinking not alot of money has been involved, just time and patience. I'm ready for the next big obstacle to tackle.

I love also how Oprah does use her own money but doesn't always have too, she has so many people that want to be associated with her now. That school that wouldn't help on that ladies tuition, bet they feel silly now. I also thought giving the car to the manager at TGIF was a bit random. But I guess giving it to the military guy seemed a bit strange. The three guys that worked together did a great job. They raised the most money, it was quite remarkable. Wonder if they are using any of the "self made millionaire's money?"

I have to say that I really like this show. It is a "make me feel good" show and after watching Big Brother this season, it is a nice change.
    Gotta The Fort
    The place that keeps you in touch with reality!

FORT Fogey

Life: Oprah's 'Big Give' gives pastor and wife big headache | oprah, idea, leesa, assignment, kingdom - OCRegister.com

Every night for years, Leesa Bellesi would kneel beside her bed and say a prayer for Oprah.
    The pastor's wife still prays for the talk show queen. But she won't watch her show anymore.
    Not since Oct. 30, 2006.
    Leesa was sitting in her living room that day watching Oprah, as usual, when the daytime superstar told her audience that she had come up with her best giveaway ever. Then she gave 300 audience members $1,000 each. She told them to "open your hearts be really creative" and go out and spend the money helping others in need; then return to her show in a week to report what good deeds they had done.
    Leesa's jaw dropped.
    Six years before, her husband, Denny, had handed out $100 bills to 100 random people one Sunday service at Coast Hills Community Church in Aliso Viejo and asked them to go out and do good and report back with their stories in 90 days.
    He based his living Bible lesson on the Parable of the Talents and called it the Kingdom Assignment. By the time church members reported back, the $10,000 had multiplied into hundreds of thousands and amazing stories abounded. Word spread and churches, individuals and businesses across the nation began doing the Kingdom Assignment.
    The Bellesis' ministry made headlines. And Oprah's people apparently read one of them.
    In May 2003, Denny and Leesa got an invitation to sit on Oprah's couch. It was for a show called "The Best Money I Ever Spent." A picture of the couple on Oprah's couch under a heading that reads "Paying it Forward" is still on Oprah.com alongside the words "Pastor Denny Bellesi and his wife had an idea."
    Bellesi was giddy. Sitting next to Oprah was a dream come true.
    Leesa says she later wrote a letter to the show offering to donate money that Oprah could hand out to the audience so they could do the Kingdom Assignment, but her letter was never answered.
    Now, in 2006, she was watching Oprah hand out $1,000 bank cards to audience members: "Isn't it an awesome idea?" Oprah asked her audience. "My idea! My idea, my idea, my idea. Fantastic!"

Now, in 2006, she was watching Oprah hand out $1,000 bank cards to audience members: "Isn't it an awesome idea?" Oprah asked her audience. "My idea! My idea, my idea, my idea. Fantastic!"
    Bwah. She gives, and yet is a thief! I love it!

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast