+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oprah's Big Give

Re: Oprah's Big Give

I enjoyed the show for what it was. It showed people giving of their time and someone was helped. In this show nobody was murdered, robbed, raped or maimed in the making of it. In the end I saw people with smiles and tears in their eyes and that made it worthwhile for me.

I was disappointed. It had so much potential... to show us the actual HOW of organizing a major fund raising. I would have been interested in the process the teams used for assembling the services for the homeless woman, as well as the "behind the scenes" of the real estate search for the special needs group and the division of labor for that team.

I thought this show was great. I mean what better way to put your money to use then get businesses and other people to help out. I'm a sucker for the hard luck stories. I don't really think however raising money to help someone pay for thier student loans compares to a mom with two kids with no home, or a mom trying to help her special needs son and other special needs children. But all in all I really liked it. I'm not feeling the lady in the wheelchair all that much however so I'm hoping she blows it soon and goes home.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I hate "crying shows", over all. I didn't pay close attention, and may give it another try later, but it won't be easy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I loved this show for the most part. There were a couple of parts that bothered me, some have been mentioned above, so here are a few that I found annoying:

*The surgeon getting money for his loans, I am getting to graduate with my bachelors in social work from a private university and a single mom and have about 80,000 in loans, but I do not expect anyone else to pay them off for me.

*Although everyone gave "big" they could have done a lot better. Just soliciting donations from random people would have helped a lot of them out. Most of the time I was thinking WTF, go ask more than one person for money (the pair that got 25,000), but didn't do anything other than make that phone call.

*I also didn't like the randomness of the contestants.... you have a beauty queen, a selfish women, and a millionaire, and a relief worker???? what is the deal with that, I'm not getting why some of those people were chosen, when they are on opposite ends of the spectrum....

*oh and I really hate the fact that I cried from the minute they started telling their stories til' the very end! and that I've got another addicting show to add to my list!
    Even the best fall down sometimes
    Even the stars refuse to shine
    Out of the doubt that fills your mind
    I somehow find - You and I Collide - Howie Day

I don't mind this type of show, after all I can always switch it off and America has been watching that show with Ty Pennington for years now where he gives practically undersevering people new houses (Hey home owners haven't you ever heard of INSURANCE????? And one thing you have to know about Oprah, the majority of what she gives is other people's money. I'll bet there isn't a dime of her own billions put into that show. Sponsors will foot the bill. But, her company will make mucho millions off it it. Oprah can squeeze a penny until Abe lincoln passes out. I watched the first episode, but won't watch any more. Unless, that is she gets Omorosa to be one of her little "givers".

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;2822257;
    Ya, I had some questions about just how down and out these people are. In addition to the questions asked about the fellow shot at work....he worked for Home Depot! A huge corporation! Given that the guy was killed on the job, protecting his fellow employees...would Home Depot not see to it that the widow's house was paid off...at the very least?

About 2/3rds into this show I found my attention drifting off and got up to look for other things to do. I will not be watching again.
    I know this will come off as heartless, but why would Home Depot pay off his house? If he was protecting fellow employees why havent they gotten together? (not that i think it is their responsibility either) Part of life is taking responsibility for yourself & your family. Preparing for accidents & death, why was this family not insured?
    If your not the lead dog the scenery never changes

Quote Originally Posted by workn2hard2day;2827791;
    I know this will come off as heartless, but why would Home Depot pay off his house? If he was protecting fellow employees why havent they gotten together? (not that i think it is their responsibility either) Part of life is taking responsibility for yourself & your family. Preparing for accidents & death, why was this family not insured?
    Because it happened while he was at work...while working...for Home Depot. I'm not saying they should be obligated to. Just saying you'd think they would because the guy was working for them and protecting their employees. I think so anyway. For the house at least. Not the kid's education. Not like he fell off a ladder and died. It was a brave act, some of which was on Home Depot's behalf. Big corporation like that could certainly afford it and it'd be good for local PR. But, I agree that the guy should have had insurance.
    Last edited by Tribal Speak; 03-06-2008 at 07:52 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2826753;
    I don't mind this type of show, after all I can always switch it off and America has been watching that show with Ty Pennington for years now where he gives practically undersevering people new houses (Hey home owners haven't you ever heard of INSURANCE????? And one thing you have to know about Oprah, the majority of what she gives is other people's money. I'll bet there isn't a dime of her own billions put into that show. Sponsors will foot the bill. But, her company will make mucho millions off it it. Oprah can squeeze a penny until Abe lincoln passes out. I watched the first episode, but won't watch any more. Unless, that is she gets Omorosa to be one of her little "givers".
    Oprah is well known for her philanthropy and gives huges sums of her own money away. The school she created in South Africa, to name one.

I am not watching, however, because I don't like this sort of show. Good for them and all who donate their time and money. Just not my cup of viewing tea.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;2831343;
    Oprah is well known for her philanthropy and gives huges sums of her own money away. The school she created in South Africa, to name one.

I am not watching, however, because I don't like this sort of show. Good for them and all who donate their time and money. Just not my cup of viewing tea.
    And that's about the only thing you can point to where she put up "some" of the money, not all by any means. And you do know that "Oprah's Angel Network" is not her money but the money of "contributors" whose money is funneled thru Oprah's organization, which can certainly be a good thing. Remember when "she gave" new cars to an audience full of teachers. She had to go on tv later and explain that the manufacturer had given the cars because she wasn't really clear about that when she presented them. Oprah is simply this decade's greatest huckster that's all. Not that that's a bad thing . . . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast