+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why don't we have more Adventure/Reality Shows?

Leo
    Premium Member
    Aside from what lurkinggirl said in her extensive and excellent post, I also have to add the financial factor. Consider: what would the expenses be, for say, Joe Millionaire? It's basically just one fixed location, with a relatively small number of remote locations. So you have relatively low costs, and thus a network may be more willing to purchase such a dating reality show.

Contrast this with the two best-produced adventure reality shows: TAR and Combat Missions. TAR, in my honest opinion, probably costs more than any other reality show to produce. Consider the costs involved: a dozen pitstops, your camera crews (one for each team, then perhaps more at the route markers, roadblocks, and detours), and the logistics of flying everyone around the world. Or consider Combat Missions. Fine, it's basically around one location as well, so you don't have all your location costs. However, the amount of equipment and such that you need for the show is also rather large.

All that costs money. Like has been said before, these shows also suffer from rather inept marketing. Most marketers nowadays are, in my opinion, capable only of selling sex. They are incapable of selling adventure anymore. So, all in all, you are asking the networks to undertake a larger gamble, and the return is not nearly as assured. Naturally, since their primary goal is to make money, they are more reluctant to take that risk, resulting in less of these type of shows.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Contrast this with the two best-produced adventure reality shows: TAR and Combat Missions.
    Leo, will you marry me?!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Leo
    Premium Member
    Originally posted by BravoFan
    Leo, will you marry me?!
    Erm, uhm...

*runs off and hides*

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Great topic, CG!

I don't have too much to add here. I think LG and Leo covered things very well. I just want to throw my support behind CG's original assertion that there should be more quality adventure shows.

I also wanted to line up and say that I enjoyed Love Cruise and Bachelorettes in Alaska and that I loved Combat Missions. But everybody knows that last part already. Part of CM's financial overhead, BTW, had to be all those explosions. They cost, you know.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12