+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Parking Wars!

Re: Parking Wars!

LOVE PW!! I wish STATES had a more hi-tech type boot so they could go on QUICKER and then get the heck out of there.... These boots they have been using FOR YEARS seem so difficult to install.

HAPPY OCTOBER 2010!

OK, this is back on with all new episodes. Is anyone watching?

OMG, why o why do people park illegally IF they are going to totally FLIP OUT when the PA (parking authority) gives them a ticket???

This season started I believe 2 weeks ago but it repeats ALLOT.

So much more anger this season than ever before. Ugh.
    KAREN

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We watch it - and love it. Can't believe how often hubby and I turn to each other and say, "If these folks can't afford to pay their tickets, WHY DON'T THEY PARK LEGALLY?" If you get one ticket, pay it! Don't let them accumulate to where the bill for freeing your car is in the hundreds/thousands of dollars.

And for Pete's sake, don't take it out on the meter readers or booters if you finally get caught. How would you like to be screamed at for doing your job?

My biggest peeve that they sometimes cover is those who park illegally in handicapped spaces. I have had surgery on both knees, and have fairly severe arthritis in both knees, so I do have a handicapped plate. Those spaces are such a blessing to folks like me.

Several months ago I went to a local strip mall. There were handicapped spaces available, and I pulled into one of them But I noticed that one of the adjacent handicapped spaces contained a van belonging to the dry cleaning business that it was parked in front of. There was no one loading or unloading from the van. (Even if there were, this is NOT a loading zone.) When I had completed my business at a nearby store, the van was still there. I went into the dry cleaners and saw the driver standing there, flirting with the young lady working behind the counter. I was very polite, but informed them that as a handicapped person, I wanted to point out that the van was illegally parked, and that if I had pulled into that lot and there were no other handicapped spaces available, I would personally have called the police and had them ticketed. They apologized profusely and admitted that they knew they should not have parked there. I'm pretty sure they haven't parked there again.

Along those same lines, for as many bystanders who heckle the meter readers, I think there are even more people who appreciate the fact that they are sending the message that EVERYONE is supposed to abide by the rules.

/rant.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

I love Parking Wars and I'm happy it's back. I still can't believe how upset a lot of those folks get about receiving tickets or boots because they were parked illegally. I just watched the episode last night where the two female booters was hearing it from the lady and her mom about them getting a boot and the 1 female booter kept telling the woman's mother to not bring God and Jesus into their problems

Quote Originally Posted by biggbaddgirl;4098059;
    I love Parking Wars and I'm happy it's back. I still can't believe how upset a lot of those folks get about receiving tickets or boots because they were parked illegally. I just watched the episode last night where the two female booters was hearing it from the lady and her mom about them getting a boot and the 1 female booter kept telling the woman's mother to not bring God and Jesus into their problems
    Since it's so entertaining to watch people behaving badly, I want to give a shout out to the idiots who don't register a vehicle as soon as they buy it, who don't pay their parking tickets (&/or tear them up), are too stupid to know that they have to have a valid driving license, current registration & insurance card with them when they operate a vehicle AND sign a release so that we can watch them justify, deny or just plain try to lie their way out of paying what they owe.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I work in Philadelphia, and although I find this show amusing, I just want to say that the Parking Authority is suspected of being thoroughly corrupt by many city residents. It isn't just the "boot," but the 3rd party towers they contract with. Recently, there was a murder of a tower by another tower. They use CB's to go to the location of a "tow" and fight over it. The murder involved one tower running over another tower. It's pretty scary.

It's hard to park in Philadelphia. There are simply not enough parking spaces (street spaces/garage/lots) for residents, much less day workers and tourists. Not only that, but the Parking Authority doesn't always respect the parking ordinances. For instance, many residential streets have time limited parking on different days of the week. It's pretty confusing! But, if you park knowing full well that you have to move your car by 4 p.m., you can very well find that your car has been towed when you arrive to move it at 3 p.m.

If you live and/or work in this city, it's not hard to accumulate parking tickets. And getting your car off the Parking Authority tow lots is a nightmare, even if you DO have all the necessary documentation. They get a very hefty fee if your car is left on one of them overnight, and they do everything than can to make sure that it is.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 11-07-2010 at 01:55 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4099599;
    I work in Philadelphia, and although I find this show amusing, I just want to say that the Parking Authority is suspected of being thoroughly corrupt by many city residents. It isn't just the "boot," but the 3rd party towers they contract with. Recently, there was a murder of a tower by another tower. They use CB's to go to the location of a "tow" and fight over it. The murder involved one tower running over another tower. It's pretty scary.

It's hard to park in Philadelphia. There are simply not enough parking spaces (street spaces/garage/lots) for residents, much less day workers and tourists. Not only that, but the Parking Authority doesn't always respect the parking ordinances. For instance, many residential streets have time limited parking on different days of the week. It's pretty confusing! But, if you park knowing full well that you have to move your car by 4 p.m., you can very well find that your car has been towed when you arrive to move it at 3 p.m.

If you live and/or work in this city, it's not hard to accumulate parking tickets. And getting your car off the Parking Authority tow lots is a nightmare, even if you DO have all the necessary documentation. They get a very hefty fee if your car is left on one of them overnight, and they do everything than can to make sure that it is.
    I would have to say what I've seen of this show that's accurate. It seems like highway robbery in many instances. It's very hefty fines and it doesn't appear there is a good process for protesting. You may not have been even in the wrong, but too bad. It appears corrupt to me and that's just from watching the show, having no experience with Philadelphia parking authority at all.

YIKES! Murder ... omg.
    KAREN

FORT Regular

I watch PW,and I caught on quickly that there are WAY too few spaces for everyone,and that this is just a moneymaking tool for the city and that it is unfair the way it is handled. How frustrating it must be to try to work and live in that city! I watch sometimes to be grateful for the fact my city has a lot of parking....so I am sympathetic with some of the towed people more often than not! It is a no win situation....

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Universities use that same strategy to make money. They sell parking permits, knowing that there are not enough on-campus spaces. I guess their thinking is, I can guarantee you a space, but who's to say that it's not a county or two away? You've got to learn how to play the game, I guess. I always think that it's a bad idea for freshmen to bring a car to school with them.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789