+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 101 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Re: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I don't have much faith in Steven Adler, though, I do think reality shows use much license in editing or creating scenes for shows.

He has had limited success in recovery. He refuses to stay in any program and insists on continuing to hang with using addicts. I was happy to hear that he was able to play with some members of his former band Guns N' Roses who were inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. I know that meant so much to him as that band was/is his life, though he has a new band now.
    My biggest pet peeve with this show is consistently these patients are in the wrong level of care. Which in the real world can be really problematic for getting paid or keeping a business like these right with the licensors. Apparently in TV land it's not a problem.

There have been many patients on this show who would have been much better served from a higher level of care than a 28 day treatment program which most of the patients spend half of detoxing (ere go not getting treatment). So you got these people with very serious drug problems getting, maybe, 2 weeks of treatment or in some cases less. That's ridiculous and shameful.

Then you have people on this show who should have really been in specialized treatment programs for dual diagnosis people.

And then you have Steven Adler who really needed to be a in serious and longer term treatment program which dealt with brain injured individuals. He wasn't. He obviously struggles at staying sober. This was not an ok choice for him. And maybe no treatment will ever work with him because maybe he doesn't want to get clean. But he shouldn't be given sham treatment because of that.

The discharge planning from what I've seen for the most part sucks as well on this show. Everyone is given the exact same discharge plan which is go to Dr. Drew's halfway house. If counselor's really did that. If they really discharged everyone after 28 days with the same referral to go to the halfway house... they would be losing their licenses at some point. That's bad treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I recall him well, from this show and when he was on The Real World. I think he was kicked off the Real World due to his violent outbursts. I remember that when they were released from rehab, one of the counselors went with the guy along with a professional drug disposal truck to rid his house of body building drugs. He claimed he had over $10,000. worth of them in his house! He was hard core. I'm sad it didn't make it. I'll be curious to see if if it was recent drug use or an accumulation of old stuff that injured his heart.

From what I have seen, most of the the relapses are from when the addict refuses to stay in a support group. They convince themself that they don't need to go anymore and then they eventuall go back to using. It's amazing how many people claim they don't need a support group on a regular basis. Their brain lies to them.
    I think that was Jeremy Jackson from Baywatch that had the steroids at home
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    I think that was Jeremy Jackson from Baywatch that had the steroids at home
    I think you're right. Thanks for posting that.

I agree that the level of care on this show is not the best, but I think it may be the best they can convince the person to submit themself to. I look at it as at least it's one more day they are out of their regular drug/alcohol using life.

Any word of whether there will be a new season? There is no shortage on celebs to invite on there.

FORT Fogey

I am sure I read somewhere that the program is over
    Debb70 likes this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Actually I heard that Dr. Death Pinsky is doing another Rehab show but it won't be celebrities. He really should just stick with LoveLine and his nightly show.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Yep, Looks like Dr. Drew and his gang are doing a NON-celebrity rehab show starting Sept 16th. http://www.examiner.com/article/rehab-with-dr-drew-to-premiere-next-month?cid=db_articles I agree that what he provides may be too little and for too short a time period, but I think that whatever help these people get is better than no help at all, and I think, equally importantly, the viewing audience watching these people go through the difficulties of drug (and other) addiction, has got to be helpful, to some degree.

All of this chatter reminded me of the show "LA Complex" which is based on aspiring actors/resses. One of the characters is in "rehab" that is very clearly based off Celeb Rehab. All the behind the scenes manuevering is what I picture this show to have.

Dr. Drew is such a farce and it irritates me how much people rely on what he says as if it's current practice (same goes for Dr. Phil).
    sparklete likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I think both Dr. Drew and Dr. Phil have excellent skills and give meaningful, instructive and helpful advice. Additionally, I have noticed that Dr. Phil has the ability to hear a situation and zero right in on the actual problem, and his resolution of the problem is usually (although not always) one that I agree with. And Dr. Drew, in addition to be being very good at understanding the circumstances that caused the person's addiction, is very, very kind and gentle in his attempt to help them deal with their problems.

Although I don't necessarily care for the format of the shows that each of these gentlemen are on, I think that they themselves are excellent at what they do, and that they've both helped a lot of people over the years. They've both earned my respect.

I think Dr. Phil and Dr. Drew serve some purpose. I have my gripes with each of them for different reasons, but I don't think they are worthess. I do think they have a healthy dose of ego, as does Dr. Oz.

Dr. Phil is good at seeing the root of the problem and calling it as he sees it. When guests lie, instead of letting it pass, he pulls out the proof in their own words and confronts them immediately. He also can be too much sometimes and I get weary of the way he delays dealing with the issue on his show most of the time. Too many commercials and dragging it out. Then there are times he laughs at a problem that I don't find amusing. When on someone else's talk show he cuts jokes constantly and they aren't funny.

Dr. Drew is sharp and I think quite personable. I like his humor. What I didn't like about him was the way the patients on Celebrity Rehab were allowed to be so violent and non-compliant, but hardly ever booted out. That drove me nuts. Because of the show, they were allowed to get away with too much and it wasn't fair to the other patients.

What I dislike the most about Dr. Drew is his total denial of the state of the whole Teen Mom crew. He has overlooked a lot there too. Encouraging moms to stay with dad's who were abusive to them!!!!! That sent me off. He seems to have the worst judgment of anyone I have ever known in dealing with this show. He does them no favors with his butt kissing and head in the sand approach. But, other than those things, I like him. lol

Re Steven Adler - he was part of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame ceremony inducting Guns 'n' Roses. It was televised a short time ago on HBO. He was in pretty decent shape (for Steven). His speech was clear and he was clearly thrilled to be part of the induction (it got a fair bit of press because Axl Rose declined to participate). I don't know that he is "clean" but he is nowhere near the mess he was on CR. So there is some good news.
    jucamer and Debb70 like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread