+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Re: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

If she can't swim and he's at the bottom of the pool, how can she pull him out?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    If she can't swim and he's at the bottom of the pool, how can she pull him out?
    He wasn't the smallest dude either. I can swim and remember fishing out a 175 lbs person from the edge of the pool without falling in (only by virtue of him floating). I was a little heavier than he was at that point. I was able to yank him to the edge and hold him above the water line barely with an arm. There was no way I was dragging the at dead weight out of the pool and I would have lost my grip had someone else not come along. Still took two of us who are reasonably strong to pull him out.

The death rate for this show is depressing. I almost feel bad for liking the show as much as I do. Addiction is such a tough subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Jilli View Post
    The death rate for this show is depressing. I almost feel bad for liking the show as much as I do. Addiction is such a tough subject.
    I think that the rate of relapse and death with this show and those who suffer addiction in general are probably about the same. Addiction has a high relapse rate. In fact, relapse is a symptom of the disease. The treatment given on this show may not be ideal, but I think the results they have are not atypical of addicts.

I'd agree with that. They also never withheld the fact that the mortality rates we're already high, and that this was basically an experiment. Many of the people who appear on this show are in need of money and crave fame, so by that estimation if they feel that's the environment they feel most comfortable getting clean in; why not try it?

Yep - high rate of death. Joe Kovar died last week

'Celebrity Rehab,' 'Real World' star Joey Kovar found dead - latimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    Yep - high rate of death. Joe Kovar died last week

'Celebrity Rehab,' 'Real World' star Joey Kovar found dead - latimes.com
    I recall him well, from this show and when he was on The Real World. I think he was kicked off the Real World due to his violent outbursts. I remember that when they were released from rehab, one of the counselors went with the guy along with a professional drug disposal truck to rid his house of body building drugs. He claimed he had over $10,000. worth of them in his house! He was hard core. I'm sad it didn't make it. I'll be curious to see if if it was recent drug use or an accumulation of old stuff that injured his heart.

From what I have seen, most of the the relapses are from when the addict refuses to stay in a support group. They convince themself that they don't need to go anymore and then they eventuall go back to using. It's amazing how many people claim they don't need a support group on a regular basis. Their brain lies to them.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilli View Post
    Maybe because they're not actually going to rehab. Dr drew is a fraud. 3 weeks on a TV show is not rehab and this guy needs to admit that instead of pretending he's doing something good
    JunkieGirl and canadian_angel like this.

FORT Fogey

I just finished Stevern Tyler's auto bio "Does the Noise....." and he mentions Stephen Adler being in non-TV rehab with him and says that what we saw on TV with Celeb Rehab was a complete fraud and that lots of scenes were filmed after the person got clean... in re-enactments.

I don't have much faith in Steven Adler, though, I do think reality shows use much license in editing or creating scenes for shows.

He has had limited success in recovery. He refuses to stay in any program and insists on continuing to hang with using addicts. I was happy to hear that he was able to play with some members of his former band Guns N' Roses who were inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. I know that meant so much to him as that band was/is his life, though he has a new band now.

+ Reply to Thread