+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 101 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889909192 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Re: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

R.I.P. Jeff. He passed away today.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

That's tragic!

Jeff Conaway, 1970s film and TV star, dies at 60 - The Washington Post

Jeff Conaway, 60, an actor who came to fame in the late 1970s as a high school tough in the movie musical “Grease” and in the TV series “Taxi,” but who was known in recent years for his appearances on “Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew,” died May 27 at a hospital in Encino, Calif. He had complications from pneumonia.

He was taken off life support after arriving unconscious at Encino Hospital Medical Center on May 10, the result of “just too many prescribed drugs,” said his sister Carla Shreve. He had been in a medically induced coma.

Mr. Conaway had appeared in movies and on television and in the Broadway production of “Grease” before the movie version starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John was released in 1978.

Mr. Conaway played Kenickie, the high school pal of Travolta’s Danny Zuko.

“I got so many hickeys, people will think I’m a leper,” Stockard Channing’s Rizzo tells Kenickie at one point, examining her neck in a compact mirror.

“Cheer up,” Mr. Conaway’s character memorably replies. “A hickey from Kenickie is like a Hallmark card.”

Later the same year, Mr. Conaway began playing Bobby Wheeler, the cab-driving struggling actor in “Taxi.”

The series about a group of New York cabbies, whose ensemble cast included Judd Hirsch, Danny DeVito, Marilu Henner and Tony Danza, ran until 1983.

Although the show gave Mr. Conaway continued national exposure, he broke his contract and quit after three seasons, having reportedly grown tired of being typecast as a “blond bimbo” and the butt of struggling-actor jokes.

“In ‘Taxi,’ I kept doing the same scene for three years,” he told the Toronto Star in 1989. “I was underused.”

He later said the experience made him “very depressed,” but he had little success with other projects. After roles in two short-lived TV series, “Wizards and Warriors” and “Berrenger’s,” he had a part in a 1985 Broadway rock musical “The News.” It closed after two days.

He later appeared in the soap opera “The Bold and the Beautiful” and the 1990s sci-fi TV series “Babylon 5.” TV guest shots and roles in films and TV movies followed, as did stories of his substance abuse.

After failed attempts at sobriety as early as the 1980s, Mr. Conaway appeared with eight other celebrities on the premiere of VH1’s “Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew” in 2008. He was so intoxicated the morning he checked in that subtitles were required to translate his slurred speech.

“Celebrity Rehab” added a new dimension to Mr. Conaway’s faded celebrity.

“Everywhere I go, people say, ‘I watched that show. I was rooting for you, man,’ ” he told the News Journal in Wilmington, Del., in 2008. “It’s nice to know people care. I hope it helped some people.”

In a Los Angeles Times interview in January, Mr. Conaway said he had ramped up his behavior for the camera.

“We all knew we were on TV,” he said. “Sometimes we would go a little bit further than maybe we normally would. You can’t help it. There are cameras sitting in front of your face.”

Mr. Conaway was back on “Celebrity Rehab” for its second season in late 2008.

Jeffrey Charles William Michael Conaway was born in New York City on Oct. 5, 1950.

His acting career was launched in 1960 when his mother, an actress, brought him with her to an audition for the Broadway drama “All the Way Home,” in which director Arthur Penn cast him as a young Southern boy.

He said he began taking drugs when he was in a rock band in his teens. After a year at the North Carolina School of the Arts, he enrolled at New York University.

He understudied a number of characters in “Grease” on Broadway and, shortly before graduating, took over the lead role of Danny Zuko.

Mr. Conaway was once married to Olivia Newton-John’s sister, Rona.

Survivors include his wife, Kerri Young Conaway; two sisters; and a stepson.

One thing - who the heck is Kerri Young Conaway? He was still married during his relationship with the infamous Vicki?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Interesting that there were a number of conflicting reports. The first reports stated that he had ODed. Drew stepped in and said he had not but that he had pneumonia and sepsis and the coma was medically induced. Finally the hospital said that they terminated life support because he had no brain activity since he wa brought in with an overdose. So Drew.....what was your input all about??

FORT Fanatic

Another success story for Dr Drew. Enough with this show. It does not help!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    Then again, the show has helped others. Drug addiction is so insidious... I never expected all those on this show to stay clean, not even close. It's similar to the Biggest Loser, I guess. So many fall of the wagon, and I think drug addiction is so much harder to overcome than weight issues. (That statement was not meant to incite a discussion on the comparison of weight problems and drug problems. ) I just wanted to make the point that many many people who go through rehab have to do it again. And again. Many never gain control.

That said, it was a shock here to read that Conaway and Starr have both passed on. Really, really tragic. RIP.

I lost respect for Dr. Drew early into this show's career. Jeff was another one of the many people on this show that needed a higher level of care than a 28 day treatment program where half or more of it spent detoxing (ie not getting treatment).

Many people have to go to treatment repeatedly but people deserve to at the very least get the right level of care. Dr. Drew doesn't do that.

I tend to now consider Dr. Drew and "Hollywood/Celebrity Dr". All show and not a lot of substance.

Drug addiction is characterized by relapse. I don't blame Dr. Drew because people from his treatment die. The success rate is low everywhere, however, I do wonder why he made that statement about Jeff when it doesn't mess with what the other reports have been. Hmmm?

My theory of why these celebrities go on that show which is a short term stay, is that it is the only thing the producers can get them to do. They pay them, offer free care and do everything to accomodate the patients, but it appears like it is almost impossible to get them in for the short stay. IMO anything long term would not be accepted by these people. Also, after treatment ends, DR. Drew begs them to get more treatment and pleads with them to go to other centers or to sober living houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    I do not believe this is Dr. Drew's fault or reponsibility. Jeff has had almost an adult life time of prescription drug abuse. Dr. Drew was just another MD that stepped into help Jeff and when one does not want to help themselves it is almost impossible to get better.

BUT that being said, I think Dr. Drew's program at the Rehab house is wayyyyyy to short. All of those addicts that graduate from his program need to go on to more sober house living or on to extended rehab. JMHO.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread