+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 101 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Re: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Wow, this is kind of tough for me but here goes. I know some people say they are fans of a band but there is always one band that means more to you than anything else in the world. For me, Alice in Chains is that band. Being 36 years old, when I was in high school "grunge" was huge, and I listened to it all. Although I still listen to NIRVANA, stoned Temple Pilots, and Pearl Jam now and then, I literally listen to AIC (Alice in Chains) 99% of the time I am listening to music. I am a "superfan". I have every CD, and know the words to every song. So, I knew who Mike Starr was long before "Celebrity Rehab". I knew of his issues and was touched by his admissions regarding Layne Staley (I think Layne was one of the best singers in history).

I have been dealing with severe depression for several years now and the music of AIC has been my crutch. For those familiar with AIC that may sound weird because most of their lyrics deal with addiction, death, and sadness - but for me it has a theraputic value. To this day I mourn the death of Layne and now that Mike has gone there is a new hole in my heart. AIC is still making great music (latest album "Black Gives Way to Blue" is amazing), but the songs that resonated with me for so long are the ones with Layne and Starr. It hurts me that Starr lost his battle with the deamons that have haunted him for so long.

If anything good comes of this tragedy, it will serve to remind these celebrities that they are not bullet-proof. I hope others can learn and not make the same mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_in_kcmo View Post
    Wow, this is kind of tough for me but here goes. I know some people say they are fans of a band but there is always one band that means more to you than anything else in the world. For me, Alice in Chains is that band. Being 36 years old, when I was in high school "grunge" was huge, and I listened to it all. Although I still listen to NIRVANA, stoned Temple Pilots, and Pearl Jam now and then, I literally listen to AIC (Alice in Chains) 99% of the time I am listening to music. I am a "superfan". I have every CD, and know the words to every song. So, I knew who Mike Starr was long before "Celebrity Rehab". I knew of his issues and was touched by his admissions regarding Layne Staley (I think Layne was one of the best singers in history).

I have been dealing with severe depression for several years now and the music of AIC has been my crutch. For those familiar with AIC that may sound weird because most of their lyrics deal with addiction, death, and sadness - but for me it has a theraputic value. To this day I mourn the death of Layne and now that Mike has gone there is a new hole in my heart. AIC is still making great music (latest album "Black Gives Way to Blue" is amazing), but the songs that resonated with me for so long are the ones with Layne and Starr. It hurts me that Starr lost his battle with the deamons that have haunted him for so long.

If anything good comes of this tragedy, it will serve to remind these celebrities that they are not bullet-proof. I hope others can learn and not make the same mistakes.
    I really wanted to like the band because they are such a prolific band of the era but couldn't but I get what you're saying. Everyone has that music that does that for them.

I guess I'm not really surprised that the folks in bands that survived that era are now burning out. Drugs went hand in hand with that scene and too many people died too young.

Chris _in _kcmo, I really feel for you. This must be so unreal for you right now. Even though you know someone has a habit, it still shocks when someone loses their life. I can't even imagine how I would feel if we heard we lost Robert Plant. Man, I don't even want to think about it.

There were a fair amount of older rockers that made it though. They some how escaped with serious addictions and are doing well in their senior years, such as Clapton, Richards, Page, etc.

From what I read, they still don't know the cause of death for Mike. I think we are all assuming it was drugs. I guess it could have been something else. We'll see.

I found an interesting article online about Mike Starr that someone wrote after being on the set of Celebrity REhab back in 2009 when Starr was on. Why the Death of Celebrity Rehab Veteran Mike Starr Makes Laughing at Charlie Sheen Hard -- Vulture

I can't watch the Charlie Sheen stuff on TV. It reminds me of when I started spinning out of control at my rock bottom and hits just too close to home. I don't want to be witness to death of him like this and that's what it is. The world is watching as he kills himself.

I think the saddest thing to me of the Starr issue is that this is a man who needed and deserved a higher level of/more treatment than Dr. Drew gave him on his show and now he's not with us anymore. I don't watch much of this show anymore because of the icky feeling I get watching these people who need help not get what the need on this show.

I saw Sammy Hagar on tv today. He has a book out. He says that at one time Eddie Van Halen was acting just like CS is now! He doesn't know why.
    It made me think to a time when Valerie Bertinelli was acting odd when questioned about Eddie. It was like she didn't know what to say, but had a lot to say. I wonder if that was the reason. I hope he's gotten better. I think he was at her recent wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_in_kcmo View Post

So sorry that this loss has such a personal toll on you and thanks for posting your feelings, I do totally understand what you mean. Keep seeking strength in music-- its a good place to look. Hopefully Mike can rest in peace, he seemed like a sweet yet very tortured soul. I was very sad to hear this news.

Mike Starr's funeral is being delayed due to more testing. Mike Starr - Mike Starr's Funeral Delayed For Tests - Contactmusic News

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Mike Starr's funeral is being delayed due to more testing. Mike Starr - Mike Starr's Funeral Delayed For Tests - Contactmusic News
    This is interesting. I wonder if he took the right amount of meds. I hope they make sure what killed Mike. It looks like it was accidental though.

Does anyone know why he was living in Utah?

It's nice they are having a funeral for Mike's fans to attend. That would mean a lot to this big fans. I watched some videos of he and AIC and they were really good. I don't recall much about them during that time, but they really were a great sounding band.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    This is interesting. I wonder if he took the right amount of meds. I hope they make sure what killed Mike. It looks like it was accidental though.
    Im not going to rush to judgement hear but didnt his drug dealer release the voicemails he left him right before he died where he asking for drugs?

[Listen] Mike Starr's Last Voicemail -- I 'Need' Drugs | TMZ.com

+ Reply to Thread