+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 101 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Re: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Every person has the potential to have value to society- no one is "better off OD-ing". I am shocked that this was posted to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityRealmer;4143489;
    Every person has the potential to have value to society- no one is "better off OD-ing". I am shocked that this was posted to be honest.
    I agree with you so very much. I'm reminded of the struggles of Robert Downey Jr. His years and years of drug abuse began when he was 10 years old. He went through some of his darkest years of addiction in the public eye. He relapsed repeatedly, he was so severally addicted to so many different substances it's amazing he is alive. But, today he is a recovering addict, by all accounts an outstanding husband and a good father who has worked tirelessly on mending his relationship with his son. he has accepted responsibility for his behavior in the past, and has openly talked about carrying the pain that he is responsible for hurting so many people who loved or still love him. The man went to jail repeatedly, came close to dying on several occasions and said of his addiction" it's like I have a gun pointed in my mouth and I love the taste of the metal." It took him years, but he is now in recovery, a productive member of society. Thank God he didn't just go and `OD and get it over with already.' And thank God so may others have made it out of the darkness. This disease is insidious and despite the abhor ant behavior we witness, it is so true, every human being has value and worth and we have to remember, before passing judgment on another person's right to walk the planet, we are making that judgment based on the way the disease makes the person behave, not who the person really is underneath all of that horrific chaos. The desire to die, the feeling that a human being doesn't deserve love or compassion, that they should in fact 'just OD' is a huge part of the illness itself and it's why it's so hard to get well -because they have no sense that their life has any value to begin with or that they are good and worth loving. Hate the behavior, the disease and the havoc it causes, but remember the person did not come into the world that way. And I thank God I don't have to do battle with such horrific disease because I'm not sure I could win against it.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

I want to make a correction to my previous post:Robert Downey Jr began using drugs at the age of eight, not ten. His father introduced him to drugs. Robert has said Jack Nickolson gave him drugs, as well. Also, the quote I originally used should read (in describing his addiction to a judge) " It's like I have a shotgun pointed in my mouth with my finger on the trigger and I love the taste of the metal."
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Aren't most programs 30 days? I wonder why on this show we hear Dr. Drew make comments like "It's Day 18 and the patients are preparing for their graduation." What? Isn't that kind of soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4143833;
    Aren't most programs 30 days? I wonder why on this show we hear Dr. Drew make comments like "It's Day 18 and the patients are preparing for their graduation." What? Isn't that kind of soon?
    Programs are typically designed by the need of the patient. Lots of people can graduate out in 28 days. In the last week or so of treatment patients start getting ready to graduate. So for him to be in a 28 day program with these folks and at day 18 I'm sure many are mentally preparing for that transition. That being said other people can require 90 day treatment programs. Some people need a combination of inpatient and outpatient treatment. Some do those and halfway houses. But it all depends on need. Most treatment programs don't detox as a part of treatment as that means in the case of a 28 day program that really the patients are only getting like 14 or less days of usable treatment (pet peeve of mine with this show). My other pet peeve is that they are taking people who need a higher level of care than what is provided in this show (longer more intensive treatments and detoxes). And my last pet peeve is that discharge planning seems rather cookie cutter where most people are referred to halfway houses. In reality you need to justify placement in a halfway house. The healthier clients are too well for that level of care.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;4143966;
    Programs are typically designed by the need of the patient. Lots of people can graduate out in 28 days. In the last week or so of treatment patients start getting ready to graduate. So for him to be in a 28 day program with these folks and at day 18 I'm sure many are mentally preparing for that transition. That being said other people can require 90 day treatment programs. Some people need a combination of inpatient and outpatient treatment. Some do those and halfway houses. But it all depends on need. Most treatment programs don't detox as a part of treatment as that means in the case of a 28 day program that really the patients are only getting like 14 or less days of usable treatment (pet peeve of mine with this show). My other pet peeve is that they are taking people who need a higher level of care than what is provided in this show (longer more intensive treatments and detoxes). And my last pet peeve is that discharge planning seems rather cookie cutter where most people are referred to halfway houses. In reality you need to justify placement in a halfway house. The healthier clients are too well for that level of care.
    At least they have the option of a half way house, many parts of the country, including mine, only have one or two in the entire state. The waiting list can be months, so the whole premise of a halfway house here is useless. In treatment programs of any kind are backed up, as well, so addicts and psychiatric patients are often times housed together so that neither benefit. Once out of psychiatric hold (which is typically a couple of days to detox) the recommendation is 90 meetings in ninety days with a `good luck.' Like I said, no treatment programs available means no treatment. Don't have insurance? You ar out of luck completely as a lot of out of state places charge $30,000 to $50,000 up front. So, you kick it alone around here. Or die trying.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Man, I just don't get it. Why is it that this abusive and aggressive behavior is okay? Dr. Drew talks about how everyone gets agitated at day whatever and how it's normal, and so on. Fine, be agitated, but shouldn't they be expected to be civil? It's like they are practically encouraged to act like [mod edit]to each other. What happened to manners? Is it "I'm sober/clean so I can be a jerk to those who are already sober/clean?"

Yeah, I get that it's for a tv show, but it's so discouraging. And sad. In know I could never get clean in that environment. It's not normal, it's not healthy.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RealityRealmer;4143489;
    Im sorry you feel that way but I stand behind what I said. I have seen first hand what a selfish addict can do to a family. Its horrible. Family members doing whatever they can to help someone only to have them lie to their face and take advantage of whatever they can. Everytime when the addict pretends to be getting better only to be lying again, its a pain that family has to go through. Then when they finally do die, family members who tried to do so much are left to live with the pain that they didnt do enough and blame themselves. It ruins everyone else. I guess what I should have said is he needs to tell his family he doesnt care about them and then OD. That way they can move on knowing they couldnt do anything instead of having to watch him constantly relapse and ruin his life and rip their hearts out.

I just read online that Davis' family had yet another intervention with Tom Arnold (guess hes a family friend). He went to Rehab and left after ONE DAY. Im sorry I sound like a cold hearted bastard but I cant stand that this entitled piece of garbage seems to have no desire to help himself.

FORT Fogey

I swore I saw Eric Roberts on the Y&R yesterday. I was flipping during the massive snowstorm and focused on this character and tried to figure out who he was....and I thought it was Eric since his face is so distinctive. Anybody know if he got a soap opera gig?

Yes Eric Roberts is on Young and Restless. He plays a lawyer on the show

+ Reply to Thread