+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 101 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Re: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

I'm gonna chime in with my own TMI...I was addicted to scripts (percocet), I was first introduced to opioids when I was 21; I had several surgeries by the time I was 23 (due to Crohn's Disease). I had a doctor prescribe over 3,800 tabs of percocet in an 8 month period. I took him to court and they made me out to be the drug addict loser (they later settled with me), he notated in his records numerous times-"she takes these like candy-I think she's addicted"- but would turn around and write out a script for 120 T-3's and 90 Percocets every two weeks. There was nothing wrong with me, my disease wasn't active and he never ran any tests. I am not saying that I wasn't responsible for my own actions but...I think a doctor also has a duty to his patients to monitor and warn their patients about addiction. I justified my use because I had a disease and I didn't have the life experience to understand what a drug addict was-if that makes sense. I'm not trying to skirt my own accountability here but I don't think people are able to recogonize addiction in themselves, especially if they're ill. I think when people are in "pain management" rather than throwing pills at the problem the person should, not only under go physical therapy but psychological therapy. Crazy things go in a persons mind when they are sick for a prolonged period of time.

I'm currently in school to be a drug counselor and have been clean for 9 years. I hope to work with pain management patients some day.

There is something about these rehab shows that bothers me...I can't quite put my finger on it but it doesn't sit well with me. I don't know in some ways they make the process seem much easier than it is. Rehab doesn't make you well, it takes years of relearning healthy behavior to change. I attended rehab 4 times in 6 months and still could quite put things together. Family members and friends can beg for sopmeone to change...it has to be something you want with everything inside you...and I guess that's what bothers me...most of the participants in these shows have other motivations- tv exposure.

that's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Naye; 01-22-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;2761101;
    I watched the show for the first time today at my mom's.

It was interesting for me because I went through that stuff and have been clean now for like 6 years. Did some treatment. I also worked at a detox and treatment facility afterwards.

It would be more interesting to see more of their group process and individual therapy but at the same time they can be dealing with really heavy heavy topics and I think it's good that they don't show it all because how honest are they going to be with themselves and others while putting on a mask for the tv cameras? Not very.

I like how Dr. Drew takes control of situations and I like how the group is accountable to each other.

What I don't like is the fact that Jeff is still involved. He's stated he doesn't want to get clean. He's not forced to be there so he absorbs a lot of attention just because he is so loud and dramatic and what not. The baldwin brother (they all look a like to me) was valid in voicing his anger for putting all their sobriety in danger because of his antics. If he doesn't want to be there, if this is just another play time hamming it up for the cameras game to let him go. You know? It's not doing him any good or the other people for him to be there. He can kill himself elsewhere and not drag everyone down with him. I probably wouldn't have screened him in had it been my treatment facility. But I can see why he's there as an example of extreme and for dramatic tv.

But yeah. I like it. I've watched Dr. Drew since loveline on MTV and always found him to be a solid dude.

ETA--- Treatment is kind of a boring thing in general to watch just by nature. It's people learning to be people again. Lots of homework being done. Lots of chit chatting. Lots of women looking to fill the void with men. Lots of down time to think and be. Plus whatever therapy and 12 step groups are typically involved. I was honest to go surprised they could fill an hour with content like they did.

Just wanted to say congrats to you. I hope you keep up the good work. It's big, HUGE stuff to stay sober. Good for you.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2763675;
    One of the saddest things is that for us regular folks, we have pain, we go to the doctor and they prescribe pain killers. We take them and normally we won't get a refill unless something is very wrong. I had a work comp doctor who would prescribe the highest vicoden for pain in 100 tablet bottles. It got out of hand and was very hard to kick. That was 10 years ago and now doctors are being more cautious. You can find some who will do that for you just to keep you coming back though. For celebs, they have money and can call anyone to just send a prescription in for those things without even seeing you.

I felt I had to address this since there is obviously another side. The side of the true chronic pain patient is not being told here.

In this day and age, it is very difficult to get a doctor to prescribe opiate based pain medications (unless perhaps you are a celeb...then it appears to be different).

I like Dr. Drew but like many doctors he seems to see only one side of the issue. There are patients who for various reasons (drug allergies, lack of other modalities which work for their pain, etc) really need to take pain medication on a daily basis. For these people, this can actually improve their existence, which could be a miserable thing from day to day when suffering from chronic pain which doesn't respond to other treatments. People can actually be improved from not being able to function to a return of functionality in some cases.

Addiction and dependency are two separate issues and I don't believe that human beings who are in constant daily pain should be made to suffer when there are drugs available that can help them. Obviously doctors have to be careful, but there are such things as contracts that patients have to sign to be treated and doctors should be trained to know how to recognize somebody who is abusing or selling rather than using the medications the correct way.

I just felt I needed to say that. I've watched the show and it's rather painful to see these people in this kind of situation but compared to watching another season of Flava Flav and Bret Michaels, it's pretty interesting tv.

lily

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2764379;
    When you are disabled, 100 pills per bottle is nothing for them to prescribe. It's like the doctor and the pill company have hands together. It took me years to finally stop the cycle. I've been pill free for almost a year now. I have to watch these shows because it reminds me of who I could become if I don't watch myself.

You don't even have to be disabled. I was with someone that became addicted to painkillers after a dental surgery. It was always frustrating and infuriating to me how easily he could get more painkillers from just about any doctor around for any reason he came up with. Though it sickens me to see Jeff Conaway, I'm glad they are showing what a messed up piece of crap he's turned himself into. The effects of drug abuse are not pretty and the more people that see that, the better. Drugs, whether its prescription pills, pot, or "harder" stuff is all poisonous to living a normal life. I've seen it destroy families, including my own, as well as turn the individual into an empty shell of who they used to be. Maybe if they show Jeff's sad sack of a body or the patients puking their guts out enough, it'll make one person realize that drugs aren't something they can play with and then walk away from.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Jeff's girlfriend is bad news.

FORT Fanatic

Wow, I really, really dislike the new guy Rico. He is so arrogant and obnoxious. Can you believe that story about thinking his girlfriend was dead, so he moved her body over to make it look like she was driving? He didn't try to revive her...nope, he started doing body maneuvers in the wrecked car. ugh!
    And his eyebrows are driving me crazy. They are super-sculpted - way more than any of the girls even have theirs. I have this problem with noticing something like that on someone and then being unable to focus on anything else when I see them. So now, I can't see anything other than he weird eyebrows when he's on the screen.

Same here, lol!

I can't believe how he did that! If I knew anyone who did something like that I'd turn them into the cops!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Why do I feel after watching all the episodes so far that this is turning into the Jeff Conaway Show????? :

Also, having never been in rehab, why does it seem like the group just sits around all day doing nothing???? Is that what happens in rehab???? I would think that Dr. Drew would have them in all sorts of structured programs learning about the horrid downfalls of continued use drugs/alcohol and focusing on getting a healthy lifestyle. Maybe they don't show those parts...but just seems like the girls just sit around on the floor or out in the sun talking to each other and eating.

And where is Dan Baldwin off to...what does he exactly do that he is a celebrity and where would he need to go while in rehab/treatment???

Daniel probably had a court appearance.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread