+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Re: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Our local docs here give out pain killers like candy for absolutely everything with multiple refills at high doses.

I personally refuse pain meds because of my history of addictions and sometimes I won't get treatment as a result of that either because they assume that I'm not really in pain and some docs are lazy. It's easier to hand out pills than to treat the problems. Last time I was in super bad pain it turned out I had endometriosis. Took like 2 months and 5 docs to finally get that treated. And I had to advocate really heavily for myself.

I tell all docs that I was an addict but it doesn't stop a lot of them from trying to give me narcotic meds.

But I know a lot of seemingly normal people that bounce doc to doc to doc drug seeking very successfully.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;2763927;
    Our local docs here give out pain killers like candy for absolutely everything with multiple refills at high doses.

I personally refuse pain meds because of my history of addictions and sometimes I won't get treatment as a result of that either because they assume that I'm not really in pain and some docs are lazy. It's easier to hand out pills than to treat the problems. Last time I was in super bad pain it turned out I had endometriosis. Took like 2 months and 5 docs to finally get that treated. And I had to advocate really heavily for myself.

I tell all docs that I was an addict but it doesn't stop a lot of them from trying to give me narcotic meds.

But I know a lot of seemingly normal people that bounce doc to doc to doc drug seeking very successfully.

even switching dr to dr how is 100 pain pill acceptable? its not. I had kidney stones and they gave me 30 pills that was it. and to be honest I thought that was a lot because this is not the first time i had them and they usually give me around 15-20

Certain types of addiction kind of run in my family. My (real) maternal grandfather died because of his alcoholism when my mom was in high school. And my aunt is addicted to pain pills (and she and her boyfriend smoke pot.) My aunt is mad because her doctor said she'd only perscribe her more if she takes a drug test.

I'm paranoid I'd get caught, so that's my aversion to any drugs. Even when I hurt my back, I was given vicodin and a muscle relaxer, and only took 1 vicodin and 2 muscle relaxers total. And one muscle relaxer took me out of commission for more than 12 hours. My mom was kind of worried, so she woke me up to make sure I was ok. I was.

Yes, this show is sort of desturbing to watch, but like I have said before, it is fascinating to watch, especially when they pay more attention to the people who aren't Jeff. I want to see how the new guy interacts with the group, too.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

When you are disabled, 100 pills per bottle is nothing for them to prescribe. It's like the doctor and the pill company have hands together. It took me years to finally stop the cycle. I've been pill free for almost a year now. I have to watch these shows because it reminds me of who I could become if I don't watch myself.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I thought I'd just take a peek at this and found it both disturbing and mesmerizing at the same time. I know that addicts can be manipulators and I think, on one level, that the participants may have gone in to this thinking that they could dabble with this reality show nonsense for a little bit of publicity, BUT, I'm thinking that maybe they might just accidentally get caught off guard where Dr. Drew is concerned. I'm think I'm going to have to watch to see just who is manipulating whom!

When I first saw the previews, I told my husband that I wasn't going to watch the show just because I didn't think I could take seeing some of these people go through withdrawal (Tim Conway freaks me out). I decided to watch it anyway and I think I might continue to do so.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biggbaddgirl;2764389;
    When I first saw the previews, I told my husband that I wasn't going to watch the show just because I didn't think I could take seeing some of these people go through withdrawal (Tim Conway freaks me out). I decided to watch it anyway and I think I might continue to do so.
    Freudian slip, I'm sure...but Tim Conway would be insulted! That gentleman at 74 looks so much healthier and fit than Jeff Conway at 57...

I'm so sick of Jeff. I don't wish addictions on anyone, but he's such a drama queen. At one point I thought he was faking it when he was crying...but my husband pointed out that he's not good enough of an actor to pull it off.

I watch sometimes 'cause I have a crush on Dr. Drew. I love smart men!

Thanks for catching that one.

Quote Originally Posted by ejerzeygirl;2763940;
    even switching dr to dr how is 100 pain pill acceptable? its not. I had kidney stones and they gave me 30 pills that was it. and to be honest I thought that was a lot because this is not the first time i had them and they usually give me around 15-20
    It's not acceptable. Although I have to say when I had my kidney stone mid-addiction for me I had a script for over 30 pills. But at the same time I also had scripts with refills from another doc for pain pills as well. I had easily 300 pills floating around my apartment at that time.

Last time a doc gave me pills after me telling him I was an addict and didn't want them he gave me a script for pills three times a day for a month plus refills. I didn't even fill the original prescription.

They don't talk to each other. There's no record if you go to another clinic of what pills you're taking. Thebrium to detox with because htey knew it would keep the high. y take you for your word that you're not taking anything.

It's wrong and it's a flawed system. But it's simple for an addict to take advantage of it. And the docs are as much at fault for this with their willy nilly prescriptions as anyone.

Absolutely agree causingchaos. It's really sad that we have it so close to our fingertips and beg to not have it. I just stopped going to the doctor and try to manage my pain on my own because I know they'll just hand me more no matter what I say.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread