+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 101 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

FORT Fanatic

Re: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

I read somewhere (I can't remember where now) an interview with Dr. Drew and he was responding to the feeling of exploitation of their addictions for the cameras and what kept them participating when they didn't "have" to. He actually mentioned something that I hadn't thought of.
    Although they could leave at anytime or not cooperate (and risk being thrown out), a) they were being paid a weekly stipend for being there. The more weeks they make it, the more money they got. Therefore there was a financial incentive. b) they are all "celebrities" and they thrive on being on camera. They wanted to stay because it meant more camera time.
    These two factors actually kept more of them in the program and therefore getting the help that they truly needed.

Now having said that, I think it's pretty obviously implied in the previews of what is to come that they don't all make it (stay) in the program. I would be willing to place bets that Jeff Conaway ends up leaving. He is just so far gone into his addictions. Even Dr. Drew was asking him at the beginning when he got so into the cocaine and the alcohol because the last time he met up with JC, he wasn't doing those. It is so incredibly sad and honestly scary to see him with those drugs and afterwards his withdrawal.

FORT Fanatic

Just watched the second episode. It seemed like there was 20 minutes of content at the most. Very annoying.
    If I don't tape it, I won't watch it again.

Every time they went to a commercial (which seemed frequently) they showed a preview of a scene about to be shown. Then, when coming back from a commerical they showed a preview of an upcoming scene.Then eventually we would see the scenes that we had already seen several times. Who can watch a show like that?

The series should probably only last half as many weeks as it will wind up being on.

It did seem like I was watching the same thing over and over again. I want to see the real-ness of it more. I don't doubt Jeff is going to through major withdrawl but we're not being shown alot about the other people and their withdrawl.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I agree, I would like to see more of their group sessions and one on one time with Dr. Drew. Jeff Conaway is very dramatic ( and I guess the editors/producers think that is entertaining), but a little bit of Jeff goes a long way.

I still like this show. I have a crush on Dr. Drew, so I'm always happy to see him on my television.

The only one that was not shown on this episode was the girl from Family Matters. How come? I do like how she skee-daddled when Jeff started shaking at the lunch table-I know she probably went to get help, but I would get outta there too if that was going on when I was trying to eat.

I know the group sessions last quite a bit longer than shown and they probably also go through some other type of cognitive behavior therapy sessions or stress reduction or meditation, etc. An art therapy session would be interesting to see. Also, I wonder if the staff go on daily walks with in patients.

Regardless of being paid or wanting camera time, I still think these people are being brave for exposing themselves on camera like this.

I am truly surprised at how much I am beginning to like Gitte, Daniel and Seth. My heart breaks for Mary, Jessica and Chyna. I don't even know what to think about Jeff.

Dr. Drew is amazing and has a wonderful presence with the rehabbers.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    Herm Albright
    (1876 - 1944)

I watched the show for the first time today at my mom's.

It was interesting for me because I went through that stuff and have been clean now for like 6 years. Did some treatment. I also worked at a detox and treatment facility afterwards.

It would be more interesting to see more of their group process and individual therapy but at the same time they can be dealing with really heavy heavy topics and I think it's good that they don't show it all because how honest are they going to be with themselves and others while putting on a mask for the tv cameras? Not very.

I like how Dr. Drew takes control of situations and I like how the group is accountable to each other.

What I don't like is the fact that Jeff is still involved. He's stated he doesn't want to get clean. He's not forced to be there so he absorbs a lot of attention just because he is so loud and dramatic and what not. The baldwin brother (they all look a like to me) was valid in voicing his anger for putting all their sobriety in danger because of his antics. If he doesn't want to be there, if this is just another play time hamming it up for the cameras game to let him go. You know? It's not doing him any good or the other people for him to be there. He can kill himself elsewhere and not drag everyone down with him. I probably wouldn't have screened him in had it been my treatment facility. But I can see why he's there as an example of extreme and for dramatic tv.

But yeah. I like it. I've watched Dr. Drew since loveline on MTV and always found him to be a solid dude.

ETA--- Treatment is kind of a boring thing in general to watch just by nature. It's people learning to be people again. Lots of homework being done. Lots of chit chatting. Lots of women looking to fill the void with men. Lots of down time to think and be. Plus whatever therapy and 12 step groups are typically involved. I was honest to go surprised they could fill an hour with content like they did.
    Last edited by causingchaos; 01-19-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: forgot something

Vote for Hillary! IstateTheFacts's Avatar

Jeff Conway is way too dramatic for me. The man is a child in a grown up body...can we say...BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER?

This show is facinating to watch. I just don't know how these people got to this point. It may be like a trainwreck sometimes (I'm looking at YOU, Jeff Conway...) but you know... it's a trainwreck that matters (unlike Flavor of Love 3 which I saw a commercial for while watching this today... ew.).

Brigette and the Baldwin guy give an interesting perspective. Baldwin KNOWS how much of a toil it is, and he knows it's a never ending battle, so he's like a mentor to the rest. And as the episode I watched today, Brigette can give a mom's perspective on the girl's whose parents were addicts, and gives Jessica and Mary a mirror for Brigette to see where her own children can lead to if she doesnt clean up her act.

And please... Don't get me started on JC and that girlfriend of his. I'd like to see the rest of the cast. This is the Disfunctional Jeff Conway Hour, you know.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

This show is disturbing for me to watch. I know they've all agreed to participate, but it seems so voyeuristic. And saying all that, I still didn't change the channel. Jeff scared me, it seems like he has a true death wish. His girlfriend is a big liability and I don't think he will get better as long as she is in the picture.
    I really like seeing Bridgette and Chyna back together. I liked their relationship on Surreal Life. I hope they both stick it out. Chyna has some serious issues, even though she seems not to realize it.

I personally don't see Jeff ever getting better. He's fried out braincells at this point. He's still getting a lot of attention for his addiction. Someone who is used to attention for fame loses and now garners attention for his issues. There's not a lot of motivation for him to change. He probably does want to die. He obviously have very little will to live and is just killing himself super slowly with his drugs.

I like how Dr. Drew doesn't really reinforce it either. But again he's there at what cost? What damage is he going to do to the rest of the group because of his incessent need to have the spotlight on him. He talks about his drinking an drugging like it's an old buddy when he talks. He doesn't want to quit. He's bringing the girlfriend in who could be bringing stuff into him. He brought stuff in himself. It's just a game to him.

+ Reply to Thread