+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 101 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

Re: Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew Pinsky

If I was stuck in a ward with Gary Busey, I would lose all motivation to stay sober. He says he's been clean for 13 years, but he still acts like a lunatic. What kind of example is that for the other patients?

I know they want to keep him for the drama, but I think he is really hindering other people's progress. The way he was jabbering away at Amber and Tawny about his hypnotherapist girlfriend was ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by chenoa333;3226662;
    If it's already happened, then I missed it but I would love for Gary Busey to get in Rodney Kings face with his stupid motivational acronyms. I think Rodney would be more than happy to shove a pool stick up Gary's butt.
    I honestly think Rodney King is a gentle person and not violent at all and wouldn't be capable of shoving a pool stick up Gary's rear end. But, I do think that chick from AI, Tawney Kitan or Vicky would be more than capable.

Quote Originally Posted by lakergirl1;3226343;
    Gary Busey's brain is fried. I don't think even his new meds can help him. I'm sick of Jeff Conaway and his antics. How come Rodney King never gets any screen time? Why does Dr. Drew keep that stethoscope around his neck? We all know he's not a patient..... Favorite line thus far: I'm a participant. Not a patient. I love it. I believe VH1 duped Gary into being on the show as a 'participant'.
    Actually, they were up front with him from the start and that includes the cameras he now hates. He is simply just delusional

BB FAN

Quote Originally Posted by channel5lady;3225890;
    Gary can't be in denial when he's crazy to the point where he doesn't recognize reality. Think it's drug-induced dementia? I don't know, but he needs more than just drug rehab.
    Dr drew said in season 1 (while he was evaulating Joanie) that he would not treat people that also had a mental illness. Treatment of a dual diagnosis like bipolar and addiction must include treatment for both conditions.
    Many people self medicate the mania and depression with alcohol and drugs.

Dr. drew and his doctor friend prescibed depakote for Gary. Depakote is a mood stabilizer to calm the mania in bipolars. Gary probably didn't realize that his medical marijuana was doing the same thing.

Gary also has a traumatic brain injury. I can only see him going farther downhill in the next few weeks. The stress from the situation only makes mania worse and his behavoir will interfere with the other patients recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3223419;
    I'm glad that Vikki is actually in rehab. I agree that it's a big step for her but I think she's a nutbag and will always be a nutbag. I was horrified when I heard that she kicked Jeff in the back 5 times Provoked or unprovoked that is dispicable to do to a disabled person. he already has enough problems with his back. He's had like 5 or 6 surgeries in the last year. I think that Jeff could actually get on the road to being OK if he got rid of her. I don't think anything could make her OK though. I think she has a mental illness. She strikes me as bipolar. My sister-in-law is bipolar and they are similar. I had to spend an entire day with her one day and she nearly had me crazy and pulling my hair out! I don't know how my brother lives with that person I'll tell you how. He drinks and has become a total alchoholic, that's how.

I can't stand Vikki I think she's a fake and they made up this story so she could be on the show with Jeff. I do think she is a nut but I don't think she is an addicit.

I'm reading an interesting book right now: "You'll never make love in this town again". A girl named Robin detailed her relationship with Gary Busey in the spring of 1994.

I dated Gary for a few tumultuous months. Gary had an edge, an almost pychotic edge that translated into magic on the screen and mayhem in real life. The entire world had to revolve around his needs. When I didn't give Gary my full attention, his response to me was sometimes very cruel. I knew Gary had had a terrible motorcylce accident and had almost died. I thought perhaps that contributed to his mood swings. Still, whatever their cause, it soon became impossible to put up with his volatile temperament. Finally I could take no more. I packed up my things and left.

Gary had a drug problem, I later learned, but I wasn't aware of it at the time. It's still hard to forget those nightmare days with a very crazy man.
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

Depakote is actually an anti-convulsant used to control seizures but has been used in an off label fashion to treat bipolar disorder.

TBI patients typically need a different type of treatment than what is offered in Dr. Drew's program. It has everything to do with what they care cognitively able to do.

There are also many dual diagnosis people in various types of programs across the country. The question becomes does their mental health impairment hinder them from participating in all the activities of treatment. For that reason people with profound mental illness typically do better in facilities that focus on MI and CD. Otherwise the average dual diagnosis person can be treated in most any program out there.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3228073;
    Depakote is actually an anti-convulsant used to control seizures but has been used in an off label fashion to treat bipolar disorder.
    I thought so! My brother-in-law who has since passed away, was prescribed depakote as one of many anti-seizure drugs for his epilepsy.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3226290;
    Gary and his use of acronyms drives me nuts. I think his behavior stems from the brain injury more than anything. Gary seems to be in his own little world.
    My mom said he was crazy before the accident but I'm sure it made it worse. I don't think VH1 tricked him at all. They were probably very clear what he was there for but he just didn't understand or wanted to believe that he had a different role. He kind of reminds me of the movie The Dream Team, where Christopher Lloyd played a crazy person who believed, like Gary, that he was in the mental hospital to be an assistant to the doctors and offer support for the patients (although he was more bossy than supportive ). I think that crazy people sometimes delude themselves into believing that they're OK when they're really the craziest ones of them all.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

What I don't understand is why they feel the need to cast the most obnoxious types every season on this show. Last season Jeff and Vickie's sideshow overtook the entire program. I barely remember anyone else who was on it. They decide to bring him back and on top of that they add Gary Busey. Really I'm far more interested in the stories and potential recovery of Rodney, Steven, the young model who was heaving on the floor (she broke my heart), and the rest of the first timers.Why we need to revisit the nuttiness that is Jeff and Vickie or be subjected to Gary to make this interesting is beyond me.

+ Reply to Thread